PDA

View Full Version : Gmc 1020r

Jedo_03
17th August 2006, 11:09 PM
Hi all
Bought meself a Gifkin D/T jig at the adelaide WWS didn't I. . ?
Like the idea of Roger's to have TWO routers in the table - one for the pins and one for the tails. . .
So...
Local store has GMC 1020R's out at $40 and I'm looking at buying a pair of these to suit my idea. . .
They won't be doing that much work...
What do you's guys reckon . .?
Cheers
Jedo

Stuart
18th August 2006, 12:51 AM
You know, not a bad idea at all. Point is, it doesn't matter how user-friendly the router is for table operations (not that I've tried the 1020 at all, this is a general observation), once you set it up for the right height, and lock the plunge, who cares!!!!

I had a GMC router (more a edge trimmer fwiw) set up permanently with a dovetail bit in it for the Jet dovetail jig - it was handheld, but the concept is the same - once you have fine tuned it, and got the height just right, don't change it!

Doughboy
18th August 2006, 01:25 AM
I only have one router and it is a pain in the backside when change over is required but it is a job I put into perspective. How often do I need the second router set up?

Yeah I understand the idea of setting it up and then leave it in situ but that brings the consideration of loss of space, and that is definitely one thing I can ill afford to lose.

Having said that if I had the space hell yeah I would set up a second router.... especially at that price!!!!!!

Pete

Jedo_03
18th August 2006, 08:16 PM
Hi all
Thanks for your comments...
I went down and bought the second 1020R router tonight
Probally take up the space of a small hall table
OR
build a custom table and have it at the back of my very deep benches on sliders with a lock mechanism to lock it in place when I'm using - then simply put it all to the back to clear the workspace on the front of the bench. . .
Cheers
Jedo