PDA

View Full Version : off the MC1100

hughie
18th August 2006, 12:10 PM
Heres the latest off the MC1100 Camphor Laurel, 28cm x 10cm [11''x4''].
Sanded to 600, EEE and 4 coats of Shellawax

The last of the obligado bowls to the lady that supplied the timber. So far she has been very happy with her souvenirs from the back yard tree.
hughie

Terry B
18th August 2006, 12:13 PM
Very nice Hugh.
How do you stop them warping?

Stuart
18th August 2006, 12:27 PM
Oh, very nice work there Hughie!

For a second I thought you meant the ML1000 (GMC) :o but google set me straight!

Gil Jones
18th August 2006, 12:38 PM
Great looking bowl, curves, and finish!!
I love Camphor Laurel, especially the older trees heartwood.

Stuart
18th August 2006, 12:42 PM
See, this is my problem. I see this timber in its 'raw' state at the shows, in Woodworking Warehouse etc, and I just don't know its potential. Of course, I don't have the skills to get it to achieve its potential either, but that's another topic.

rsser
18th August 2006, 02:31 PM
Very fine.

An excellent match of form to figure - p*ss elegant.

Toasty
18th August 2006, 02:40 PM
Very nice, Hughie. I really enjoy turning Camphor Laurel too.

TTIT
18th August 2006, 06:12 PM
Nice one Hughie!:)

So where's the Gidgee?????

macca2
18th August 2006, 06:18 PM
Great bowl Hugie. What do you use to turn under the lip.

cedar n silky
18th August 2006, 11:24 PM
Lovely work Hughie! The grain is a treat too!!
I've been burning camphor in the slow combustion nearly all winter up here. It's a much under rated fire wood. I had a whole pile stashed outside for the last few years for turning, under cover, and it is fairly riddled with borers, so I was running out of good dry hardwood, and I thought i'd give the camphor a go.:eek: I wont worry about buying expensive hardwood for the fire place anymore, not after using camphor! Mind you it grows like aweed up here!:eek: Well come to think of it -it is!!:)

hughie
19th August 2006, 02:01 AM
Thanks guys for the kind comments. Its always encouraging to get such positive returns from ones peers.

Terry, I used DNA or meths to soak a nearly completed bowl, generally 2-3 days soaking and then let it dry . I get some warping, very minimal so far. I call it the ''Hickory method''. ;) thanks Hickory

Gil, It was an old tree maybe 60+ years old. I unfortunately missed some of the best due a translation problem English to Viet Namese to English and to me ..... :D

Stuart, Dont worry about it, practice makes for a better turner. I've had this chiwanese only for about 12 months. If I can do it, so can you :)

Ern, As usual your very free with the kind words. muchas gratias amigo

Vern, Gidgee, cant make up my mind what to do with it.Its such a great piece :confused: have picked it up many times, turned it over in my hand only to put it back on the shelf again.....sigh

Macca, under the lip. I used the porforme and a goose neck Vernacut...;) ..see TTIT

Cedar, Yep I have given all my off cuts away to a friend who reckons its great fire wood. As he lives up in the Blue Mountians I figure hes got it right.

La truciolara
19th August 2006, 03:09 AM
These are absolutely NOT nice bowls....
they are just MAGNIFICENT ! :)

ss_11000
19th August 2006, 05:46 PM
great bowl hughie.

Auzzie turner
19th August 2006, 05:50 PM
really really nice.

rsser
19th August 2006, 06:45 PM
'What to do with this lump?' has just pushed me to try something I was wondering about.

Got a puzzling lump myself so tomorrow will post some pics and listen to the wisdom of the forum about possibilities.

hughie
19th August 2006, 10:33 PM
These are absolutely NOT nice bowls....
they are just MAGNIFICENT !

Claude you are most generous, thank you sir!

Ern, I've got few lumps like that...scratch me 'ead stuff .:confused: :confused: :confused:

I work on the premise that in every lump theres a great bowl, just gotta figure how to get the darn thing outa there .