PDA

View Full Version : What this tool for?

lubbing5cherubs
18th August 2006, 07:45 PM
Hi My mum surprised me with a pack of tools that she found on the reduced table for $25 due to one of the handles have a dent. I was so upset as you can imagine.;) but my question is this

This kit is the same but mine is a big wooden box. What do you use this tool for? The tool is the 3rd one from the left, I know you got a detail gouge ? I think, parting tool,Mr unknown there, skew, a roughing up thingmijig, a bowl gouge I hope I right well that what I think anyway.

https://gpwoodturning.yahoostore.com.au/cgi/index.cgi/shopfront/view_product_details?category_id=1107136738&product_id=1107220135

Can you tell me what MR Unknown there is and what do you use him for... feeling bit skint asking this but it bugging me not knowing and not knowing what it for.
thanks Toni

Sir Stinkalot
18th August 2006, 07:49 PM
I would use the process of elimination and come up with the round nose scraper.

Auzzie turner
18th August 2006, 07:52 PM
left to right

1.spindle gouge
2.Parting tool
3.round nose scraper
4.Roughing gouge
5.bowl gouge

$25.00 any more?

lubbing5cherubs
18th August 2006, 07:54 PM
no it was a one and only. I am very happy with her find. so what do with a round nose scraper.
Toni

Auzzie turner
18th August 2006, 07:57 PM
You use the scraper for the insides of bowls. Use the bowl gouge for the bulk work, and then raise the toolest as high as you can go, and then point the scraper down towards the middle of the bowl, and then run it along the inside slowly. I reccomend you do a woodturning course at carbatec, I did, and learnt heaps.

Regards..........Joash

P.S You said you're mum got them, how old are you

lubbing5cherubs
18th August 2006, 08:19 PM
I am 36 with 5 kids but my mum loves to buy me pressies when she sees a bargain.

As for doing a course I would love to but none around where i love
Toni

Auzzie turner
18th August 2006, 08:20 PM
ok

La truciolara
18th August 2006, 08:44 PM
n° 4 looks loke a flat chisel... but the pic is kind of small for my old eyes.

chrisb691
18th August 2006, 08:57 PM
no it was a one and only. I am very happy with her find. so what do with a round nose scraper.
Toni

I use mine on pens, after I have got the blank round with the gouge. Then do the final shaping with my small gouge (or whatever it is). Gee!! I can hear the roars of disapproval already. :D

La truciolara
19th August 2006, 03:06 AM
...Gee!! I can hear the roars of disapproval already. :DI dare not but I guess you can here my silence!!!!:D
Round nose scraper are often (if not only) used to finish the bottom of a bowl, were the botton joins the sides. Sometime you cannot achieve this liaison perfectly with a bowl gouge, therefore, with very delicates movements you blend the side to the bottom.
I usually turn pens with the oval skew chisel. As the sahpe of a pen is rather simple, the skew chisel if correctly sharpened gives you a finish whch you can ruin with a sand paper grit 400

Farnk
19th August 2006, 09:36 AM
Hi Toni!
How is your new lathe going?

I've got that set as well, It arrived with the GMC the FIL gave me years ago. Yes, that chisel is a round nose scraper.

As people have mentioned above, it's a handy tool for rounding the inside of bowls. I also use it when roughing out a shape to blend lines together.

The set has served me well for 5-6 years now, but I've added a few extra chisels as I've learned new skills and tried new techniques.

f

lubbing5cherubs
19th August 2006, 09:56 AM
Hi Toni!
How is your new lathe going?

I've got that set as well, It arrived with the GMC the FIL gave me years ago. Yes, that chisel is a round nose scraper.

As people have mentioned above, it's a handy tool for rounding the inside of bowls. I also use it when roughing out a shape to blend lines together.

The set has served me well for 5-6 years now, but I've added a few extra chisels as I've learned new skills and tried new techniques.

f

Hi Frank, My little lathe is going like a ripper. I am so glad I got her. I have spent hours of enjoyment on it.
bye Toni

Hickory
19th August 2006, 12:37 PM
Several folks , just starting out, use a scraper for a lot of cuts. Inside curves (coves) and some use it to round over . A sharp scraper is an easy tool to master and some new turners are not confident to use a skew properly and opt to scrape, the round nose is a good handy tool. As was discribed, the inside of bowls is a better place for the scraper but it is useful in a variety of ways.

rsser
19th August 2006, 02:22 PM
Love LaTruc's term 'liaison' ... good for sauces, sexes and now shaping.

ss_11000
19th August 2006, 06:00 PM
thats a good set toni, and a bargain for $25.

have fun with it,