PDA

View Full Version : Hermes sandpaper

Don Nethercott
18th August 2006, 09:33 PM
I like using Hermes cloth backed sandpaper (the stuff you buy by the metre) 150mm (ie 6 inches) wide. I tear it off in strips about an inch wide to sand my bowls. Unfortunately I have run out and can't find anyone who stocks it. Seems to be plenty of 100mm (4 inch) available, but it is too short for me when the strip is folded (double thickness to stop being burnt).

Does anyone know of a stockists. I think I got my last lot in Canberra but the store is now Carbatec and they don't seem to have it.

Don

Pat
18th August 2006, 09:41 PM
Don, you may want to look at Hermes (http://www.hermes.com.au/)website.

scooter
19th August 2006, 12:36 AM
Don, Carrolls Woodcraft (http://cws-store.yahoostore.com.au/index.html) stock the Hermes gear.

The proprietor, Jim Carroll, is a member of this forum & a helluva nice fella. They do mail order & have a good rep on here.

Cheers.................Sean

Skew ChiDAMN!!
19th August 2006, 12:53 AM
I'm pretty sure Jim only stock the 100mm. He is a nice bloke though and I wouldn't be surprised to hear he starts stocking it just for Don. ;)

Jim Carroll
19th August 2006, 09:49 AM
Sorry don we stock the 100mm wide.

I do the same thing in that I tear a strip about 5" long and fold over to give a 50mm wide peice, no burnt fingers.

We can get 150mm wide if you want to buy quantity.

Don Nethercott
19th August 2006, 10:58 AM
I tear the strips crossways, so the strips are only as long as the paper is wide.

I do it that way as the rolls of paper are threaded on a dowel, bit like toilet paper. I just pull down and tear off a strip. 150mm wide Hermes gives me strips 150mm long to work with. Tearing lengthways when paper is hung like that would be a pain. Fortunately when I last bought Hermes I got a fair bit so most grits I have plenty of, but have run out of 80 and 100 grit.

Don

rsser
19th August 2006, 05:16 PM
ahem, sounds a bit anal Don

Don Nethercott
19th August 2006, 06:09 PM
Don't know what brand of loo paper you use rsser - sounds like the old government stores stuff.

All I know is I have a setup that works for me and I don't want to change. The product I want is available, all I've got to do is find someone who sells it.

Don

Baz
19th August 2006, 06:17 PM
Carbatec Canberra sells 150mm Hermes,
Cheers
Barry

rsser
19th August 2006, 06:38 PM
Don't know what brand of loo paper you use rsser - sounds like the old government stores stuff.

All I know is I have a setup that works for me and I don't want to change. The product I want is available, all I've got to do is find someone who sells it.

Don

Sorry Don ... was being a smart-*rse.

The old govt paper needed hextupling to do any good and that was with pretty soft carbon clean-up.

Good to see a post with a source. Will shut up now.

ss_11000
19th August 2006, 06:42 PM
I do it that way as the rolls of paper are threaded on a dowel, bit like toilet paper. I just pull down and tear off a strip.
Don
now that is a darn good idea.

Don Nethercott
19th August 2006, 06:57 PM
Thanks Baz, have sent them an email so will see what happens.

Rsser, the Gov stuff we used in the NT could have been used as sandpaper. No way you could get your finger through that - that's if you could find a box the white ants hadn't found - boy did they love that stuff.

Don

soundman
19th August 2006, 09:53 PM
Crikey that old government issue toilet paper was shocking.... I thaught about asking the boss for some tweesers and a mirror on my tool issue for removing the splinters.
It was about that time I started carrying my own in the van at all times.

we used to call it " John Wayne Toilet Paper".

It rough, its tough, and it don't take no S$#T from no indian.:eek:

you never know what you'll find!