PDA

View Full Version : Get the washer out

Gingermick
19th August 2006, 06:46 AM
Our shower drips and I'd like to get in and change the washer. The only problem is the washer is stuck behind some sort of riser. So I just remove the riser? Only problem is it's behind the edge of the tiles by a bit and the hole in the tiles aint much bigger. images/icons/icon8.gif
My only idea is to put a tile cutter on the angle grinder and cut little grooves and use tile nippers to break bits out.
We are getting large water bills now as the tap drips considerably when the missus of kids turn it off. images/icons/icon13.gif
Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.images/icons/icon4.gif

Sorry about the photo being a bit blurry.

Wardy
19th August 2006, 07:18 AM
hi ginger, try using a tube spanner or looking at your photo a pair of multi grips by grabbing hold of the round body of the head nut. DO NOT grab hold of the shaft that is protruding from the wall.
cheers

arms
19th August 2006, 09:26 AM
i would be grabbing a fine nail punch and ever so slowly start chipping away at the tile edge until i had cleared enough of the tile away to get a tube spanner or wharever so as to remove the stem

jmk89
19th August 2006, 09:35 AM
Yes, chip the tiles away gently with a nail punch or a fine cold chisel to chip away enough tile to give clearance for the tube spanner (don't put your Sorbies into the freezer :D , use proper cold chisels), then use a tube spanner on the body of the tap - you may need lots of leverage, so have a good bar to put thru the holes at your end of the tube spanner.

bpj1968
19th August 2006, 09:44 AM
can't quite tell from the photo, but some tap bodies have a square end for the last few mm which you can use a shifter on. Or try using a multigrip on the end. usually there is just enough room for the body of the tap to fir out, but not enough to fit a tube spanner.

When you have it out, you may as well change the O ring on the spindle (shaft) this stops water coming out the shaft when the tap is on. Clean teh thread on eth spindle and give it a bit of vasalene and it will work like a new one

Gingermick
19th August 2006, 01:03 PM
Tube spanner. I was thinking I'd have to get a bloomin great socket in there. Have to go to bunnies, after I measure it:)
Thanks fella's

macca2
19th August 2006, 06:33 PM
Before you replace the washer (jumper valve) don't forget to recut the seat. Be very careful to get a good clean seal without taking away too much brass.
Fit good quality jumper valves.

scooter
19th August 2006, 09:57 PM
Open up the hole to gain better access.

Use whatever tool (tube spanner best) to get the stuffing box (s.b.) & spindle out.

Take the spindle out of the s.b., clean all the crap off it, replace the O rings on the spindle with newies & lube it all up with vaseline or tap lube before screwing it back into the s.b.

Remove/ scrape off the old body washer & renew it as well.

Inspect the seat (where the jumper valve seals inside the body of the tap) & recut if needed (best to do so anyway to cover all bases)

Fit a quality jumper valve, better ones last longer & seal with less hand pressure

Reassemble tap with the spindle backed out (ie. the tap turned on) & turn water on. This will flush out any grindings from recutting the seat rather than embedding them in the face of the jumper valve by doing it up tight before letting the water through.

Robert should be your father's brother.

Cheers............Sean

Gingermick
21st August 2006, 03:51 PM
I had to do a little chipping and got a tube spanner that fit and nearly did everything right. Screwed the cold water tap back in with the tap off. It's still a million times better than before, ta