PDA

View Full Version : Bench dogs? What are they and how do they work

HotChips
19th August 2006, 09:25 AM
Anyone able to shed a bit of info on bench dogs, principles how they work, used for etc?
Have a workbench and someone mentioned them so, any use?

Honorary Bloke
19th August 2006, 11:25 AM
God bless you my child. Bench dogs are a sort of clamping device that pushes down thru your workbench and holds your work tight whilst you do things to it. Can someone post a picture here?

Groggy
19th August 2006, 11:55 AM
Here are a couple of different types. They are used mainly for holding things on the bench. I use them mostly while planing but sometimes just to clamp a piece too.

I apologise in advance for the paw sense of humour...

Rocker
19th August 2006, 11:56 AM
What has all this got to do with garden sheds?

Rocker

Groggy
19th August 2006, 12:05 PM
What has all this got to do with garden sheds?
Not much, I didn't notice since I came in through the "New Posts" links. However, my picture is of a shed with the garden in the background. :o

I guess one of the mods will move it.

outback
19th August 2006, 04:40 PM
I thought bench dogs were like skanky hoes. :p

Rocker
19th August 2006, 05:46 PM
Ah, now I see it; skanky hoes - garden shed. Gotcha.

But to answer Hot Chips' question, these are bench dogs, which are used for holding a workpiece: http://www.leevalley.com/wood/page.aspx?c=2&p=31127&cat=1,41637,41645 . See also Wonder dogs at the same url.

Rocker

HotChips
20th August 2006, 09:11 PM
Here are a couple of different types. They are used mainly for holding things on the bench. I use them mostly while planing but sometimes just to clamp a piece too.

I apologise in advance for the paw sense of humour...

Thanks for the humour, and what a lovely lab!
And ta to all the others for your input, and the link, certainly clears things up.Went to bunnies and no-one had ever heard of them! Might just make up some myself and test them out.

Groggy
20th August 2006, 09:15 PM
Thanks for the humour, and what a lovely lab!
And ta to all the others for your input, and the link, certainly clears things up.Went to bunnies and no-one had ever heard of them! Might just make up some myself and test them out.
thanks:)Yeah, the dog is hopeless. Whenever the camera comes out so does she :rolleyes: .

In front of the dog though is the Lee valley bench dogs in action, holding the timber under the #62.