PDA

View Full Version : Chipped Shower Base & Type Of Wall Panel?

Metal Head
19th August 2006, 08:50 PM
Hi,

Yes I am after more advice again:rolleyes:. I had asked these questions on a previous thread I started but they appeared to have been overlooked:(.

I unfortunately chipped a little bit out of the moulded base as seen in the pictures above. although I don't have a magnifying glass it appears to my naked eye to be made of strongly bonded fibre glass:confused:. Is there a product you know of that could fix this potential problem if left?.

I would also appreciate some advice as to what the wall board (material) is mainly used in our house (which was built in 1954)? - please see attachment. No that isn't a birds nest behind it:p.

Once again thanks to all those who reply in advance.

Cheers
David aka Metal Head
<!-- / message --><!-- attachments -->

atregent
23rd August 2006, 10:32 AM
That looks like horse-hair, or fibrous, plaster. My place is about the same vintage as yours, and that's what's lining my walls. It's a pain to repair and make look nice, but it's tough as nails. Nice thing is, it's 10mm (or close enough) thick, so it's not too difficult to match up with Gyprock.

Sorry, I can't help you with the shower base query.

Metal Head
24th August 2006, 10:03 PM
Thanks for the reply Anthony. I apologize for not replying sooner but my wife & I only returned from our (too) short a break in Noosa (26*c & sunny today) only to get back to Melbourne (late this arvo to rain & 9*c:().

It is a pain to repair but I suppose it could be worse and have been made with that "A" stuff.

Regards
David

durwood
25th August 2006, 12:35 AM
If the base is fibreglass you can fill the chip with one of the fibreglass products around. Clean out the hole so its got no loose chips in it and use a body filler like that used to repair dents in cars or fibreglass resin as for surf boards.

As you need only a tiny amount it would be better if you could find someone with these materials and pinch a drop as it would be costly to buy them from a speck of material.

Fill the hole and sand it level with fine paper 400 to 600 or finer. keep the repair as small as possible so its harder to find.

As you need to make it hopefully invisable a coat of white would be best.

Don't know what paint experience you have but the best option is a two pack white colour. again you only need a speck. Your best bet is a smash repair shop if you have a contact get them to give you a few drops in a small bottle and get them to mix the hardener with it.

You will have about 6 hours to dab it on your repair with a small brush, (cheap water colour brush kids use to paint with) if you can get a colour sample of the white (as the white could be one of hundreds) a made up colour they have mixed for one of their jobs would make it invisible or better again. Try to just paint over the repair mark let it dry overnight and if the gloss level is to great use fine paper or scothbrite to burnish it.

Done carefully you should make it unnoticable.

The same proceedure would also work for a porcelain chip.

Metal Head
25th August 2006, 07:09 PM
Thanks for the advice Durwood, I will follow that through once I get the other processes out of the way;).

Cheers
David

Tools
25th August 2006, 09:55 PM
Your best bet is to ge a repair kit from the manufacturer,through a plumbing supplier.

Tools