PDA

View Full Version : Domino slide feed problem.

baltic
19th August 2006, 11:57 PM
Hi All,
I have taken the plunge and brought the Domino a couple of days ago,
Seems like a well built piece of equipment.
One problem that I am noticing is when you start to use the machine, the feed is nice and smooth for say the first 10 mm of depth, then there is quite a bit of force needed to complete the cut, say to a depth of 20-25 mm, makes the Domino fell uncomfortable to use and not smooth,
Any other users experiencing this problem?

Cheers,
Gary.

Carpenter
20th August 2006, 09:03 AM
Hi Baltic,

My new domi is sitting on the dining room table for admiration as I write. I too noticed a "sticking" of the plunge movement. Careful observation revealed the cause to be where the bottom of the motor unit slides & oscillates during use over the base plate. If you turn your Domi upside down you'll see what I'm talking about. This is not a fault but rather a running in issue. With use this will ease but for now the solution is to separate the motor from the base plate, & apply some singer sewing machine oil to the top of the base plate in the area where the motor unit passes over in the plunging movement.
While you have it apart you can also use a cotton wool bud to wipe some oil inside the slide tubes & on the slides. Note section 10 of the manual, "dust deposits must be removed from the guides, oil the guides regularly & lightly with resin free oil (eg sewing machine oil)"

baltic
21st August 2006, 12:10 AM
Hi Carpenter,
Dust, I don't think is the issue?, only done about 20 cuts, and I am using the baby Festo Vac, I believe that it is a spring problem?
When I unwrapped the machine, I noticed that I could not Evan move the sliding table, straight out of the box! it was if it had a lock on it? I thought that it might have to be going, or had some locking device, as I said you can slide the table for the first 10-15 nice and smooth, then it gets quite firm to push, will let you know what I find out. Does not appear to be binding any where under the gear box area either?

Cheers,

Gary.

nt900
21st August 2006, 08:52 AM
Hi Gary,

Strange indeed. Straight out of the box the two cylindrical slides and single square slide are lightly oiled and it should plunge just fine; and with require firm but consistent pressure against the spring through the entire plunge stroke.

I suggest you give your dealer or Festool service a call.

baltic
21st August 2006, 10:58 PM
Nt900, Carpenter,
I have found the problem, it is the internal type spring on the guide arms that is faulty. The longer one of the guide arms is faulty. If you look dismantle and look closely you will see a very small piston type arrangement inside the guide arms.
The depth adjustment pin push into this piston as pressure is applied to start the cut.
Seems to have seized ,and is causing the problems, i applied some WD40, (a very light squirt to see if it would free up, some slight probing, still no result, did spring back into place, but got stuck half way down the guide again.
Have spoken to the supplier and will be sending back tomorrow, a bit disappointing, wont be an easy thing to fix! them guide arms seem to be pressed and swaged on to the casting??

nt900
21st August 2006, 11:08 PM
That's certainly is a bugger and a bit disappointing. I did notice the depth setting pin in the slide, but did not realise there was a piston action happening. I trust Festool will turn it around as soon as they can. Let us know how it goes.

bjn
22nd August 2006, 12:36 PM
Nt900, Carpenter,
I have found the problem, it is the internal type spring on the guide arms that is faulty. The longer one of the guide arms is faulty. If you look dismantle and look closely you will see a very small piston type arrangement inside the guide arms.
The depth adjustment pin push into this piston as pressure is applied to start the cut.
Seems to have seized ,and is causing the problems, i applied some WD40, (a very light squirt to see if it would free up, some slight probing, still no result, did spring back into place, but got stuck half way down the guide again.
Have spoken to the supplier and will be sending back tomorrow, a bit disappointing, wont be an easy thing to fix! them guide arms seem to be pressed and swaged on to the casting??

Gary

I think I have the very same problem, as you. :eek:

I will be sending an e-mail to the supplier, today.:(

As my Grandmother would say, 'Hell & Tommy'.:mad:

Cheers
Brenton

Greg Q
22nd August 2006, 02:17 PM
Can you fellows report back on the outcome of repair/replacement of your Domino joiners? I was juuuuust about to buy one*, but I'm now holding the countdown pending resolution of this.

*because of all the recent raves.

Thanks,

Greg

Lignum
22nd August 2006, 04:23 PM
Bummer fellars, must be a pain. Mine is as smooth as. But im glad you pointed it out as i also wasnt aware of the little cover and spring inside, now it is on my nightly "clean" up and rub down duties:) Greg dont hold of as it hasnt happend to anyone else here and i cant imagine festo making something that has a fault in all the machines.

Lignum
22nd August 2006, 04:23 PM

Greg Q
22nd August 2006, 05:08 PM
Hi Lignum...

I'm wondering if Festool had QA problems because of trying to meet the unforseen demand. Two duds in the small number of machines on this forum in the first few months seems to be too many.

Auld Bassoon
22nd August 2006, 08:11 PM
Can you fellows report back on the outcome of repair/replacement of your Domino joiners? I was juuuuust about to buy one*, but I'm now holding the countdown pending resolution of this.

*because of all the recent raves.

Thanks,

Greg

Ditto mate!

I'd just armed the old CC to get a solid round of thunder at a neo-friendly Festool dealer when - Wham! doses of poor build quality start coming in. What gives fellas?

Lignum
22nd August 2006, 09:09 PM
Wham! doses of poor build quality start coming in

lol:rolleyes:

Flowboy
22nd August 2006, 10:21 PM
Hello Festoolians,

To anyone seriously considering buying a Domino, here's a simple procedure to check it out. Remove the Domino from its nuclear shelter, unclick the front from the back using the tiny little spanner, rejoin them and try pushing the cutter forward of the plate. If this all works OK, then you don't have a problem, go ahead with faith. Seems to me that a little pre-purchase work can save a lot of grief later. ( And believe me I would tell you if it didn't!!)
I have bought 4 Festool products and have had to do what I call "final QC" on three of them. These were piddly little issues reallyb but once this was done (and I should have checked before purchase), they have been extremely reliable under all conditions I have subjected them to.
In view of the potential sale, I can't think of a Festool dealer that I know who would baulk at this.

Regards

Rob

Lignum
23rd August 2006, 04:04 AM
Flowboy is right. Bummer for the sticky one and bjn hasnt realy given an explanation what is wrong, but mine has been gettin a fearfull work out and is 100% perfect. If it was a prob Pat and riri from over the other side would know, and if their is a prob here Anthony being a seller would know, none of us here have it and as flowboy said just check it at the dealer. Why make a mountain out of a mole hill. Steve dont be a woose, just get yourself and C/C down to the dealer and take home a Domi tonight:D

patr
23rd August 2006, 07:29 AM
No probs reported in the valley. Quick ring around the Festool Posse and whilst several remarked that they were 'pist an broke', no one had a broken piston.

Seems a very strange one to me but I suspect that having ramped up production, there will be the odd problem. Shame that all the duffers are sent Southside! (Or perhaps Herr Festool's niece Gertrude was a member of the Deutschland uber Alles Weltmeister Schwimming team that was so roundly trounced by some Antipodean waterbabe at the last Olympics.):D

Whilst I am not a fan of FestoolYUK I have to say that a chum of mine was more than delighted at the service he had recently when his sander refused to soldier on. They operate a 48hr turnaround repair service with the duff tool collected at their cost by courier. His 150/3 sander had done the equivalent of 'to the moon and back' and just gave up though sheer exhaustion. They sent a loan model with the courier who picked up his sander, repaired the duffer and collected the loan one within 3 days. Credit where credit is due. Production unaffected, faith in the Black and Lime as strong as ever.

Surely you have something similar in Oz and if not why not? After all dem tools ain't cheep.

As a bumbling amateur I could live with a tool away for a week or so but if my living depended on it I would be more than livid and Herr Festool und his Merry Band of Dealers would incurr not only my displeasure but Simou's.

Steve I do believe that Lignum has thrown down something of a challenge. Show him you are not a big girls blouse, extract your pump action VISA Card and buy the bugger.

Regards
Pat

baltic
23rd August 2006, 07:52 AM
Flowboy,
The Domino was from a trusted supplier, mail order, that I have made numerous purchase from. When you buy a car, with a few extras, most times they have to be ordered and made, you pick up the new car when ready, most times have a good look around and hope the all is well, in some cases there might be problems after a little bit if driving and use?

Lig, BJN has basically said that he seems to have the same trouble that I am experiencing, I think I have tried to explain the problem the best that I can in previous comments.

BJN, can you confirm this??

The Domino has been returned to the store of purchase, so hopefully I will get a response shortly,
I hope that they replace the unit with a new on, as I have said, it would have been lucky to have made 20 cuts,
Will keep you informed,

Cheers,
Gary

Flowboy
23rd August 2006, 09:42 AM
Gary,

I appreciate you difficulty and feeling of being let down, and that my comment was selfishly aimed at people with direct access to real walk in stores. The only thing I can suggest is, since you are lucky enough to have a trusted mail order dealer, to have them check things out prior to shipping for you. You sound like the kind of customer they would do this for readily. In respect of your current issue, I would contact Festool in Dandenong and get the Service Manager, or the QC manager (Brett) on the line and explain the situation (always deal with head office). As PatR says, there must or should be a loaner service. It is not reasonable to leave you in the lurch through no fault of your own. You bought the beast in good faith, they should appreciate that. This comes back to a previous statement I made, where I said that Festool make excellent tools and their level of engineering is brilliant, but that I have reservations about Festool as an organisation at least within Australia.
I look forward to hearing the outcome.

Regards,

Rob

bjn
23rd August 2006, 10:52 AM
Flowboy,

Lig, BJN has basically said that he seems to have the same trouble that I am experiencing, I think I have tried to explain the problem the best that I can in previous comments.

BJN, can you confirm this??

The Domino has been returned to the store of purchase, so hopefully I will get a response shortly,
I hope that they replace the unit with a new on, as I have said, it would have been lucky to have made 20 cuts,
Will keep you informed,

Cheers,
Gary
My Domino has the identical problem that Baltic has! :(

The internal spring and its plastic cap that's inside the longer guide-tube, is fully compressed and doesn't release, so the sliding recoil function is only working on the efforts of the shorter guide-tube's mechanism/spring.

Before I had a chance to e-mail Anthony at 'Ideal tools', he had already read my posting here, on this thread and e-mailed me instantaineously, to help solve the problem. Isn't that excellent service! :)

He gave me the phone number of Festool Services (03 87959218) which I rang - they were probably at lunch at the time, so I left a message on their answering service - no reply in 3 hours, so I re-rang and spoke to Travis - who said that they hadn't come across this problem to date - he faxed me a 'Warranty Pick Up Request" which I now need to fill-out and return to them.

Apparently, a courier service will pick-up the domino from my door, at their expense and once it is received, the turn-around is one day, plus the return couriering.

So that's where I am at the moment.

Cheers
Brenton

nt900
23rd August 2006, 11:53 AM
I have not heard of this plunge issue coming up before apart from this thread (bjn and baltic's machines). I have tested all our remaining DOMINO stock and they all seem to be visually correct and plunge smoothly all the way to 28mm.

Thanks for the complement Brenton! I am just sorry :( you got a poorly one. I will make sure they all leave tested from now on, just in case.

Whenever anyone suspects a fault with a Festool tool, you should not hesitate to call your dealer and discuss, or call Festool Service on 03 8795 9218. It is a really good idea to discuss the issue directly with Festool Service as they can help diagnose the problem over the phone with your assistance (after all Festool Service know the products literally inside and out) and arrange to have any tool requiring inspection or repair promptly picked up, corrected and returned to you. Festool Service will arrange a courier at a convenient time to pick up the tool, then return it by courier. I know the guys in Festool Service practice a fast turn around policy once they receive the tool.

I agree that it's a frustrating to have an issue come up with a newly purchased item :mad:, to wait to have it collected, corrected and returned; can leave you without said item for a number of days. But please keep in mind things can sometimes go wrong with a product, and that is why companies offer warranties and have service departments. It's a pain in the butt I agree, but be a little comforted that you have a three year warranty with these tools and that Festool Service do turn around the majority of their repairs damn quickly once they receive it (my experience with them).

Lignum
23rd August 2006, 12:36 PM
I have not heard of this plunge issue coming up before apart from this thread

Excelent service from Anthony:D

I did mention it before that now we all know about the two retractable caps that we can all include it on our regular hourly maintainence.

Anthony any official festo method? Im thinking lightly pressing it in with a small dowel and hitting it with a blast of air and then a drop of sewing machine oil:D

Which brings me to "How and what method" do others use to clean their Domi?

nt900
23rd August 2006, 03:37 PM
Now I'm blushing :o

Anthony any official festo method? Im thinking lightly pressing it in with a small dowel and hitting it with a blast of air and then a drop of sewing machine oil
Not as yet Lignum, but I will ask.

Inspecting my own DOMINO I can see some fine dust makes its way into the slides and around the plastic 'piston' cap. IMHO it would be beneficial to take the same care and maintenance of this area as you would the rest of the tool. But there is sod all dust there compared to other places, and I have just had it returned from someone who demo'd it without dust extraction.

patr
23rd August 2006, 05:58 PM
Well done Anthony thats the sort of service that inspires confidence and, rightly, future sales. Were I in Oz I know who would be getting a fair whack of my childrens inheritence.

It will be very interesting to know the outcome of this problem which could occur downstream as springs loose their tension after prolonged use and whether or not this is a return to base operation. Lignum raises a very relevant point re maintenance. I have been getting as much dust out as possible (very little as it happens) and applying a drop of 3in1 or Pfaff sewing machine oil in the pistons and touch wood have not felt any change to the super smooth plunge action.

Regards
Pat

Auld Bassoon
23rd August 2006, 06:06 PM
Flowboy is right. Bummer for the sticky one and bjn hasnt realy given an explanation what is wrong, but mine has been gettin a fearfull work out and is 100% perfect. If it was a prob Pat and riri from over the other side would know, and if their is a prob here Anthony being a seller would know, none of us here have it and as flowboy said just check it at the dealer. Why make a mountain out of a mole hill. Steve dont be a woose, just get yourself and C/C down to the dealer and take home a Domi tonight:D

I popped into Total Tools in Moorabbin this afternoon as I needed to get a spare part for my EB bandsaw.

Whilst there I started salivating over their one and only Domino. Simou would have been proud! Anyway weakness set in and I gave them an order for one Domino plus systainer and the two stops. Will collect on or around the 6th Sept :) I won't need it till then anyway.

Lignum
23rd August 2006, 06:36 PM
Will collect on or around the 6th Sept :) I won't need it till then anyway.

Excelent :D But why the 6th of Sept? you say you wont need it until then but the more time you have it the more time you will get to learn how to use it because even though it looks simple its a real multi tasker and needs time to master :D When the bookcase starts you will be primed and ready to go :D and you MUST also get the centering plate, its brilliant :D

Patr- good point about the Pfaff oil i must go get a bottle tomorrow. Everynight before i put her to bed (Flowboy take note - i just seen a pic of your Domi and im so glad i have a packet of Kleenexes handy, so glad their is no one here to see a grown man cry - plz give her a clean;) ) I seperate the body from the face and loosen all levers and give her a dose of air in every nook and crany and wipe the entire face, rails, levers, latches, adj pins, the opening where the cutter comes out and sliding guides with a soft rag and some "spray and wipe" to clean of any wood/sappy/kino stuff, its great cleaning fluid, when dry i follow it up with a mist of CRC and give her a good rub down and massage,and when all dry put a few drops of oil on the sliding rails and in the adjustable pins and slides (fence height) and now the above mentioned sliding spring will get done once a week. Then its all back together and put onto her leather bed ready for another exciting Domi day of action next morning :o ;)

Auld Bassoon
23rd August 2006, 07:31 PM
Excelent :D But why the 6th of Sept? you say you wont need it until then but the more time you have it the more time you will get to learn how to use it because even though it looks simple its a real multi tasker and needs time to master :D When the bookcase starts you will be primed and ready to go :D and you MUST also get the centering plate, its brilliant :D

The 6th? My initial date set by the planning of "her" use. However, it might just be a bit sooner :D Maybe tomorrow even :D :D

Bookcase??? My current commission is for a 1.8m x 0.5 x 0.9 buffet, 1.1m x 0.25 x 0.75 server and a built into an alcove (not even close to square!)bar in Tassie Blackwood :D :D

Did I mention a lot of drawers? Well, there are a lot of 'em!

Centering plate? Que C'est La? I've ordered the two types of stops, the LA-DF500 and QA-DF500 - is there something else? Panic stations!!!

Might be open to offers for lessons:eek: :D :D

Lignum
23rd August 2006, 07:45 PM
Centering plate? Que C'est La? I've ordered the two types of stops, the LA-DF500 and QA-DF500 - is there something else? Panic stations!!!

Might be open to offers for lessons:eek: :D :D

Get it tommorow:D :D the QA-DF500 is what i was talking about. Wait till you use that little baby, its a real marvel, you will wonder how you ever cut and joined small endgrain before. love it:D Lessons are cheap, one stubby per every 3/4 hour;)

Bookcase:eek: sorry Buffet:D i have Blackwood bookcases on my mind;)

nt900
23rd August 2006, 08:00 PM
Steve - Congratulations! I'd say there are worse things to give into.

Pat - you must be feeling guilty by now about the inheritance you kids aren't getting...... didn't think so. :)

baltic
23rd August 2006, 11:53 PM
BJN,
That great service, sounds like you will get your machine back before mine, I did not contact Festo service, Rather the dealer that the purchase was made from, they sent a courier to pick mine up Wed, then it was off to the service centre, so not sure how long that will be?

Lig, I think that cleaning the piston/spring area is definitely a must after cutter changes! not sure what sort of oil to use? light machine oil?

Definitely be careful using air to help in the cleaning process?? would not want to contaminate and have the same issue!
Do you use a Vac system, I have the small festo unit, and the 20 odd trial cuts made was nearly dust free, fantastic set up.

After reading all your posts I am really getting excited to start trying it out!!
Hopefully soon,

Cheers,
Gary

bjn
24th August 2006, 04:27 PM
Well, the courier service has found my humble shanty without much ado :) and has just left with my suspect domino, bound for the great metropolis in Victoria. :eek:

When I went to package her in her systainer, I noticed that overnight the spring have returned to its proper uncompressed position. The WD40 had some affect. After coupling the fence and the motor sections together, I made several plunges to test the sliding response. The spring resistance felt more even over the depth of the plunge, but it still seems to require a modicum of effort, not the silky smooth feel, I understand is normal.

So I dissembled the fence and motor components and compared the short and long (defective?) guide tube springs, for their relative ease of compression and motion. Clearly the shorter guide was far smoother in its action and require little effort, when compared to the longer guide, which felt a little sticky or gritty, for wont of a better description.

Now it's up to the technicians.

So, that is the domino saga from my perspective, to this point. :rolleyes:

All is going well, considering. Touch wood. :)

Cheers
Brenton

Lignum
24th August 2006, 05:14 PM
Brenton something tells me you may have jumped the gun in sending it off. I just had a look at mine and the longer guides spring has twice the compression and dose feel a little jerky because of it, and the smaller one which is mild and easy to push in. And my plunge is as smooth as silk.

The pin that is in the smaller tube (moves back and foward with the depth setting) at its lowest point is 33mm from the end of the tube and at the closest point 17mm from the end which would explain why it is a softer spring because it works with a variable setting. The longer one (always a fixed setting) is 24mm from the end of the tube and the difference between tubes is 27mm. Its my guess the longer one has to be much, much harder to compress as that is the main working plunge spring and that guide is a perfect fit with brass sleeve and the smaller steel guide has a tinsy bit of slop.

I hope it wasnt just a spec of crud that got into your little one and you havnt sent it off for nothing. At least when you get it back you will know for sure:)

Auld Bassoon
24th August 2006, 06:46 PM
Steve I do believe that Lignum has thrown down something of a challenge. Show him you are not a big girls blouse, extract your pump action VISA Card and buy the bugger.

Regards
Pat

G'day Pat!

If you care to see my today post on new Domi club member, you'll see that I, too, have succumbed:o :rolleyes: :eek: :D :D :D :D :D

I have lots of tasks lined up for that little lady :D

bjn
24th August 2006, 06:49 PM
Thanks Lignum ;)

It does sound like a little 'premature ejaculation' on my part: again.:eek::(:o

At least we found out that Anthony (Ideal Tools), gives great service and that the "courier service" can find my place, unaided by GPS.:D

Surely that must bode well for the future?:rolleyes:

But, we can rely on Baltic cant we? :)

Cheers
Brenton

Lignum
24th August 2006, 06:52 PM
Brent its a bummer and inconvenience, but at least you will have peace of mind when you get it back that it will be spot on and trouble free. :)

bjn
25th August 2006, 07:23 PM
Well, I have just had a phone call from TTS Tooltechnic Systems, who are undertaking the warranty for my domino.:):)

I am delighted to say, that I didn't circum to the ubiquitous epidemic of 'premature ejaculation' :eek:, sorry, I mean premature prognostication :p:), as there was a definite fault, in the guide spring mechanism. :cool::p

They have replaced the whole fence with a new one and it is now operating to its optimum.

Their technician - Brett - was very polite and communicative, telling of the photo's and componentry etc are to be sent to Germany, for further examination, feed-back and so on.

They received the domino at about 2.00pm today, from at couriers and they have analysed and rectified the fault and now, it is back in the hands of the courier service, at 4.00pm on the same day. :eek::eek::):) Now, that is service!

So all is well, in the land of a very novice sawdust maker. :D

ETA + Luck = Monday

Cheers
Brenton

rené
27th August 2006, 06:22 AM
Hi all,

I did succumb too, but apparently got one with the same sliding problem as bjn and baltic experienced. :eek:

Funny thing is that, thanks to your posting, i was aware of the possible trouble and ask to test the plunge action with the dealer: but spoiled the test by omitting to set the maximum milling depth before...:o

Will call Festool monday.:rolleyes:

Samrat
27th August 2006, 03:14 PM
after 3hours on the train geting mi domino it had a falty spring to just like rene and bjn:confused: so i have to tace it back to fix it

bjn
27th August 2006, 03:52 PM
No Samrat

Festool's Warranty Service should arrange for a courier to pick-up and return your Domino, at No Charge to you, for repairs under warranty.

Cheers
Brenton

Lignum
27th August 2006, 03:59 PM
Will the courier pick up in Delhi:D Gee how lucky was i to get a Domi that wasnt rooted, we have now found faulty Domis in India and Paris as well as here in good old Aus:D Must be a crap product:p

patr
27th August 2006, 06:01 PM
Goodness Gracious Me. This Domi disease is spreading like a dose of knobitise. Bet Mongolia is next.

baltic
28th August 2006, 11:04 PM
O/K, Definitely did not "Jump the Gun" My machine was faulty and Festo Service have replaced the whole sliding fence unit, getting dropped off on Tuesday by courier,

Bjn, Did you get your machine back yet?

I believe that Festo have admitted that there could be a problem with this spring issue, so keep your eye open for any potential sliding problems.

I am looking forward to giving this Little machine a good work-out, and see if it was worth the money and hassle that unfortunately I and others have experienced, I am sure I will not be disappointed?

Cheers,

Gary.

bjn
29th August 2006, 11:34 AM
Baltic

I am expecting her to arrive sometime today :)

Brenton

bjn
29th August 2006, 04:29 PM
Baltic

I am expecting her to arrive sometime today :)

Brenton

The courier service has just drop off my domino :p ;) :D and the plunge action feels firm and quite smooth, a different feel than before.

So hopefully, everything is smooth sailing from now on.:D

Cheers
Brenton

baltic
29th August 2006, 08:50 PM
Got my Domino back today, just like Bjn, the plunge seems nice and smooth, without any resistance, looking forward to giving it a good wok-out!

Cheers,

Gary

rené
9th September 2006, 06:54 AM
Glad to report that my domino has been repaired too.:)

Lignum
10th September 2006, 12:49 AM
Glad to report that my domino has been repaired too.:)

Great to see you have had your Domi fixed:D What was the prob? and how bout some info on what you like to make considering (to my knowledge) your our first member all the way from from gay parie:D :D

rené
10th September 2006, 04:27 AM
Hi Lignum and others,

The prob, i suppose, was the same as with bjn and baltic units: when pushing the motor unit against the guide frame both were getting jammed and you couldn't get the motor unit back to it's rest position without using a touch of brute force...

Now that everything is fixed, i tried it, just to get the feel, and made 80 mortices in a small shoe's rack project. It took me about one hour, without rushing. So simple is that!
Some misalignments here and there, solely due to the operator nonchalance.

Fantastic tool, thanks Festool, even with the initial problem, can't say anything else, now :) .

Writing this, with the dictionary on my knees take me more time than making the whole joinery of the shoe rack with domi: so lets go back to plane the parts before glue up time!:cool:

andrewsd
11th September 2006, 04:45 PM
Hi Baltic. I dared voice concern a month or so ago about out-sized dominos that I bought with the machine (the systainer box packed with dominos of various sizes). I have since replaced the said defective dominos and thought the problem was solved - it wasn't though. There are still occasionally problems with mis-sized dominos that I usually throw out, because I don't have the patience to trim them to length. The problem isn't as bad as with the first packet I bought but it DOES exist. It isn't good that you have had problems with the machine itself - mine seems to be ok at this point. Suppose they will sort it all out eventually...

Regards

Andrew

Lignum
11th September 2006, 05:12 PM
Andrew how long are they?

mcarthur
29th May 2007, 05:20 PM
(an old thread coming alive) The same has happened to me - bought the dommi a few months ago and finally :oo: got time in the shed to work with it. Just rung festool service on the number above and they're picking it up tomorrow. Basically it was really sticking after being able to move the first 10mm or so. It would only move forward any more with a forceful thwack rather than a gentle push. Oh, it did the first couple of mortises OK, but then it basically seized up on the next ones. Probably only managed about 6-10 in all before I became <expletive deleted>less enamored.

I'll report on return...

Rob

TassieKiwi
26th June 2007, 02:40 PM
I'm baaaaak....

My Dom did this very same thing last week. I'd made a few projects with it, cleaned and put a way for the summer months. Went to use it for a shelf/panel glue-up, and it became very hard to plunge, with a click on each 'withdrawl'. Tracked it down to a sticking plungy thing on the long side. Stuck about 30mm down. Squirted oil down there. Nothing, then 'pop' - eye full of oil. Do not try this at home. Still not very smooth. Do I sense an upcoming callback?

I will be calling the Festool blokes this pm.

D

growl
3rd September 2007, 01:32 PM
I'm baaaaak....

My Dom did this very same thing last week. I'd made a few projects with it, cleaned and put a way for the summer months. Went to use it for a shelf/panel glue-up, and it became very hard to plunge, with a click on each 'withdrawl'. Tracked it down to a sticking plungy thing on the long side. Stuck about 30mm down. Squirted oil down there. Nothing, then 'pop' - eye full of oil. Do not try this at home. Still not very smooth. Do I sense an upcoming callback?

I will be calling the Festool blokes this pm.

D

TassieKiwi,

How did you get on with your sticking Domi? I have had the same problem with the long slide even got oil in my eye on Saturday night!!!:(( Did you get it fixed or was the oil enough?
Growl

jefferson
4th September 2007, 06:32 PM
I've got a problem with my Dom too.

Damn thing has been sitting in the kitchen, then shed, for over 3 weeks and I haven't turned the beast on yet.

I must get Anthony from Ideal Tools to rescue the tool and put it to better use!

Jeff

jefferson
5th September 2007, 11:47 AM
First up,

I want to retract my last message, as it may have seemed that I too was having plunge problems with my Domi.

THAT IS DEFINITELY NOT THE CASE.

The "problem" I was having was not actually having the inclination to use the machine - it lay idle in the kitchen/ shed for 3-4 weeks without use.

It was my poor sense of humour that led Anthony to contact me ASAP, offering his service to correct the "problem". I'll try to convince Anthony that there isn't a problem, if he'll accept my apologies.

Just goes to show that Anthony is very serious about customer service - and that he watches the forum like a hawk!

Second, I thought I'd better test the Domi this morning, using the 5mm bit, just in case. I plugged the machine into my Metabo vacuum and cut around 20 slots at varying depths and widths.

What a machine!

The slots were quite tight on the narrow setting, alignment is perfect, plunge is perfect and surprisingly fast (if you remember use the vaccuum).

Also, I was very surprised with the slow speed of the cutter. Or at least it seemed to spin slow but cut fast.

Compared to my biscuit joiner, the height adjustment is simpler. Easier to use than the BJ? I would now say yes, believe it or not.

Yes, I know the Domi is not cheap but what quality machines are?

I'll post some pics on my first Domi project in a couple of weeks (I hope).

So again, apologies for any misconceptions.

Jeff

nt900
5th September 2007, 02:05 PM
No problem Jeff - poor humour accepted :U.

Glad you finally put the thing to some timber - maybe your Domino was trying to tell you something :;

lesmeyer
5th September 2007, 03:17 PM
First up,

The slots were quite tight on the narrow setting, ...

Jeff
Just an idea that came to mind the other day when using my beloved. (Domi - that is). With the narrow setting being rather tight - it is a good thing, but when you need it to be just a smidgeon less tight, one can always give the domino edges a slight rub over a sanding block to take off just a weee bit.
Regards
Les

mat
5th September 2007, 05:41 PM
To give a bit of slack, rather than a lot by setting the dial on number 2 I just reseat the domi a smidge to the left or right and replunge giving an ever so slightly longer mortice.

Neil - just to make you feel better I did correctly interpret your first post.

mat
5th September 2007, 05:42 PM
Sorry I meant Jeff not Neil

Powertoolman
5th September 2007, 06:27 PM
Also, I was very surprised with the slow speed of the cutter. Or at least it seemed to spin slow but cut fast. JeffJeff,
The cutter sounds like it is turning slow, which is a good sign, but it is actually spinning at about 21,000 rpm. The motor is spinning at about 24,000 rpm, and the cutter has a slight gear reduction below that. It doesn't seem this fast because the motor is of a high enough quality that it doesn't have the typical pitch of such a fast speed.

P.S. These numbers are off the top of my head, and while I know they are within 500 rpm of actual, I know they are not the actual speeds, and I am too lazy to look them up.

jefferson
5th September 2007, 07:18 PM
Mat - thanks for encouraging my poor lack of humour.

POWERTOOLMAN - yep, the Domi seems to run slow, but it's probably just the visual on the oscillation. All I know - based on 20 minutes of experience - is that the Domi cuts fast and quietly with the vaccuum on. I wonder why it's so quiet? I'm so used to a screaming sound from a router I guess.

I'm also now wondering what place my Leigh FMT jig has in the workshop? Production-line sets ups probably will prevail, as the FMT does a fine job at that once you have it set up right.

I still need a hollow chisel mortiser for dining room type table legs, but the FMT may be doomed.

Jeff

nt900
5th September 2007, 08:29 PM
The problem with the Domino not being loud is the temptation to leave the ear protection off for the odd mortise.

Hey PTM, your box is full - I am trying to PM you with no luck.

Mat - thanks for encouraging my poor lack of humour.

POWERTOOLMAN - yep, the Domi seems to run slow, but it's probably just the visual on the oscillation. All I know - based on 20 minutes of experience - is that the Domi cuts fast and quietly with the vaccuum on. I wonder why it's so quiet? I'm so used to a screaming sound from a router I guess.

I'm also now wondering what place my Leigh FMT jig has in the workshop? Production-line sets ups probably will prevail, as the FMT does a fine job at that once you have it set up right.

I still need a hollow chisel mortiser for dining room type table legs, but the FMT may be doomed.

Jeff

LGS
7th September 2007, 06:20 PM
Eureka! I've had an epiphany!! Trombone players must use a lubricant for their slides, I can't believe that the Domi slides are any more precious than the Trombones. Maybe this is the answer to the sticking slides??:2tsup: :2tsup:

The LGS (not the GLS)

Groggy
7th September 2007, 06:34 PM
Eureka! I've had an epiphany!! Trombone players must use a lubricant for their slides, I can't believe that the Domi slides are any more precious than the Trombones. Maybe this is the answer to the sticking slides??:2tsup: :2tsup:

The LGS (not the GLS)Valve oil (http://www.ultrapureoils.com/), a very light weight lubricant.

Pete 42
7th September 2007, 06:36 PM
Ahh, from Domi's to trombones to ........... plunge routers.

What is the recomended fix for a plunge router that is a little sticky. I guess for all of these things a DRY lube is in order??????:no:

Pete

Groggy
7th September 2007, 06:41 PM
I have always disassembled, cleaned, wiped with metho and reassembled.

nt900
7th September 2007, 06:44 PM
I hate to sound unadventurous, but what about plain old sewing machine oil (resin-free oil) as recommended in the manual?

Now I did not know there was resin in oil, but there you go. And what exactly is sewing machine oil for those of us (me) not in the know?

Lignum
7th September 2007, 06:52 PM
. And what exactly is sewing machine oil for those of us (me) not in the know?

Its for when you are sewing on a button or taking up your daks, you dip the needle in the oil and it makes it easier to sew.

Groggy
7th September 2007, 06:55 PM
A light, white, paraffin based oil. It should not contain silicon as it can build up and cause stickiness (according to two sites I went to).

nt900
7th September 2007, 07:01 PM
A light, white, paraffin based oil. It should not contain silicon as it can build up and cause stickiness (according to two sites I went to).

So when you reassemble your Domino, do you re-oil it? Or are your slides always oil free now?

Now Lignum - not being a person who sews I might believe you :roll:.

Groggy
7th September 2007, 07:06 PM
So when you reassemble your Domino, do you re-oil it? Or are your slides always oil free now?

I haven't done the domi yet, that was for the router.

Now Lignum - not being a sewer I might believe you :roll:.

So much could be done with this, but I'll leave it alone :D

nt900
7th September 2007, 07:16 PM
I think you misquoted me Groggy.

I love the 'edit' button.

LGS
7th September 2007, 08:15 PM

Jeff
Jeff,
I also have a Leigh FMT and Domino. I still like the FMT for odd jobs like very deep mortises. When I made my dining chairs, I used the Domino to create the mortises and used the FMT to make the tenons, particularly for the side rails, which had a 9 degree angle at each end. You cant argue with 32x 9 degree angle tenons in a frac over 45 minutes!
It also comes in handy for digging shallow, wide mortises for faux joints (through tenons.) And now that you can buy a template to produce square mortises and tenons, I see use in Arts and Crafts type furniture without the need for trimming the usual rounded corners.
People selling their FMT's in the US are getting very good prices for them. So I guess their must be a reason. Think I'll keep mine, I just like the engineering and flexibility it offers. That said, the Domi does >85% of all my joints.

LGS

LGS
7th September 2007, 08:45 PM
Valve oil (http://www.ultrapureoils.com/), a very light weight lubricant.

So, Greg, can we use Valveoilene?:D

Groggy
7th September 2007, 08:49 PM
So, Greg, can we use Valveoilene?:DOnly if I get the repair contract...:wink:

jefferson
8th September 2007, 07:12 PM
LGS,

very interested to hear your thoughts and use of the FMT.

The thru tenon on the FMT is one task I haven't performed as yet. Do you allow for waste on the exit side, or just flip the timber over and cut from the other side?

I'm looking to go up a notch and do some thru wedged tenons, just for looks.

As for the fate of the FMT, I'll wait until I get my Powermatic 701 chisel mortise and see how we go.

Jeff

LGS
8th September 2007, 09:53 PM
Hi Jeff,
I cut from both sides. If the timber I'm working with is under 56mm across, I actually use the Domino, since it is really easy just to scribe across the face you will be using to set the centres. For thicker timber I prefer the FMT. Interestingly, you can use whatver size spiral upcut you want. Either metric or imperial. When cutting, set the centre, but cut in from the "back" and "front" of the joint. In this way, you overlap across the mortise and therefore size of cutter doesn't matter. Be sure you have been accurate in setting the centre on both sides of the timber though. Even using a spiral upcut, I prefer to rout from both sides. I use a Dremel for cleaning the sides.
The FMT has the advantage here of using a larger cutter, so less work to achieve the same result. By making two or even three passes at different settings for the FMT (that is, setting the stops to allow a rout up to 115mm), you've got great flexibility.

Regards,

Rob

growl
19th September 2007, 02:43 PM
Sent my domi back for a warranty job on the sticking slide after it squirted me in the eye with oil.

Got a call from the agent saying that there was a fault with some models that needed to be fixed. Mine was one of them. :~:~:~ Why didn't they do a recall?

The agent says it slides real well now so I will be encouraged to do more with it now

YIPEE!!! :U:U:U