PDA

View Full Version : Which one to go in a table?

jmk89
20th August 2006, 09:19 AM
I have two routers, one fixed speed and the other variable. I am going to put one of them in a router table (based on the Gifkins table). They are otherwise essentially the same. So which one should I put in the table and which one should I leave out for hand routing? Why?

Cheers

Jeremy

PS I am not going to buy another router yet, so please don't say "Buy a new router...":D

Gumby
20th August 2006, 10:17 AM
Variable speed for sure. You need to be able to slow it down for the large diameter bits which are used in table mode. A panel raising cutter for example.

Auld Bassoon
20th August 2006, 07:48 PM
Mijnheer Gumby is quite correct. Stunning really :D

On the other hand, a 90mm dia cutter at 24,000 rpm can be quite interesting to watch - from a decent distance :eek: :D :D

inferno6688
20th August 2006, 08:39 PM
i agree with Gumby too! :)

jmk89
21st August 2006, 09:17 AM
Thanks - so we have unanimity on that point.

chrisp
21st August 2006, 03:17 PM
Another option:

I have a M12SA (single speed) and a M12V (variable speed). I'm using the M12SA in a table with an external speed controller, and using the M12V as a general purpose handheld unit.

Chris

Auld Bassoon
21st August 2006, 07:35 PM
Another option:

I have a M12SA (single speed) and a M12V (variable speed). I'm using the M12SA in a table with an external speed controller, and using the M12V as a general purpose handheld unit.

Chris

Which makes them both, effectively, variable speed.

A soft start option (build up to required speed relatively slowly) is good for h/held, but doesn't really matter for in-table use.

I have a bunch of routers and amongst them is a very useful little Makita edge trimmer. Single speed and no soft start. One really needs to be hanging onto the wee bugger when flicking the 'on' switch otherwise nasty things can happen to the erstwhile workpiece :eek: :rolleyes: Don't ask me how I know this :(

John Saxton
21st August 2006, 10:34 PM
A soft start option (build up to required speed relatively slowly) is good for h/held, but doesn't really matter for in-table use.(

Steve, I disagree but only on the basis that a V/speed router is essential and having a soft start function it is better off table mounted.
Given the fact that larger router bits if used require a slower speed and therefore keeping in mind the possible "throw " of the peripheral edge of the bit it must be paramount that the V/S router be table mounted.

We have to bear in mind that as we become familiar and comfortable with using our routers we're going to employ them more fully as in making up our own mouldings perhaps in the timber/product we're using which is far easier to do with a table mounted V/S rather than a fixed speed.

A hand held router generally is used for rebates/edge trimming ect and therefore using small diammeter bits which require speed to fulfil the function but not necessarily a soft start option.

Using hand trimmers being a one handed operation in the main can be daunting at first because of the power on start -up ...but this is no different as any fixed speed router needs to run to speed and therefore bracing oneself before using it.

Cheers:)

aniceone2hold
10th September 2006, 06:56 AM
I think the best solution is to use the soft start as a hand held and to mount an external speed control on the table. Here is my reasoning: You are more likely to spend the bulk of your time routing with the table mounted router. Speed controllers are the most likely component to fail in a router because they have IC chip sets. Since heat effects IC chip sets adversely, using a larger aftermarket controller which has larger components and much better heat disapation should extend the useable life. This way you still have the ability to use the soft start and speed control features while free hand routing. And in case it hasn't come up on this forum, never use a soft start speed controled router with an external speed controller. This is a fire waiting to happen.

BobL
10th September 2006, 11:54 PM
A soft start option (build up to required speed relatively slowly) is good for h/held, but doesn't really matter for in-table use.(

Auld, I think using soft start in the table is useful when routing slots and you have to start in the middle of the piece in a pre drilled hole. Unless you are perfectly aligned when you start, the bit will rattle and shake the piece till it centres itself. Soft start helps minimize opening up of the hole. Other than this I agree that a soft start will be more appropriate for hand held than not.

BobL