PDA

View Full Version : incra jig

jd&coke
20th August 2006, 06:22 PM
has anyone got an opinion on the incra dovetail jig.I like the thought of my router staying in the router table and moving the job instead of the router
has anyone had one? would you recommend it? or should i spend my money on somthing else.

Gwhat
20th August 2006, 06:37 PM
Hi

Check your PMs and we will send you a 37minute DVD on all things Incra, that should answer your queries.

Regards

The Woodworker

Gumby
20th August 2006, 06:41 PM
or download the timber hinge video from our video section. In this, the Incra positioning system is used to cut finger joints. The principal for dovetails is the same.

silentC
21st August 2006, 09:58 AM
Yeah I've got one. It's not just a dovetail jig though, you can do box joints and it also is a damn good router table fence.

If you are doing anything wider than about 6 or 8 inches, you're better off with the other kind of jig where you mount the board in the jig and move your router over it. The Incra is good for small boxes and drawers, not cabinet sides.

jd&coke
29th August 2006, 10:34 PM
thanx everyone for the replies
thanx for the dvd gwhat i think the incra is for me just need to get the money

Wild Dingo
19th September 2006, 04:01 PM
Silent I thought there was a bloody great book of an amazing array of joints that thing does? are they all variations on the dovetail joint?

I was thinking of gettin one for whenever I get the time to make a new router table... intend getting shiney gold lookin router lifter thingy from Gwhat up there and possibly the Incra setup as well but if its only claim to fame are variations of the dovetail joint then maybe not

I got the Incra table saw fence and still have no idea what the extra measure things are for! with no explaination given of how theyre used or what their purpose in life is they seem a bloody waste of space! but I shrug and leave em there cause they look good eh! ;)

Anyway let me know what people think about this thing BEFORE I shell out for it!
Cheers

silentC
19th September 2006, 04:10 PM
They are all variations on finger/box joints and dovetails. The variations are all down to finger/tail sizes and spacings and material thicknesses.

Stuart
19th September 2006, 04:17 PM
That book is

http://www.woodworksupplies.com.au/images/masterreferenceguide170px.jpg

But there is also

http://www.woodworksupplies.com.au/images/bookincraprojects.jpg
which gives you more of an idea of its versatility.

It isn't a dovetail jig, but because of its accuracy, dovetails are one of the things it can do easily. There are other jigs that can do a basic dovetail a lot faster, but that is all they do, and the complex dovetails that are possible are beyond them.