PDA

View Full Version : Honour Board

Squirrel
20th August 2006, 10:14 PM
Seeking some advice, I was asked that other day if I could make an Honour Board. Having never made anything like this before I was wondering what would be the best wood for this project.
I was thinking of using Red Cedar.
Other things I would need to consider would be the type of finish, I suppose it should be a high gloss type finish.
I also need some suggestions on the writing, by memory it is generally done in Gold lettering, may have to take it to a trophy place to get this done.
Any suggestions or ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Squirrel..

craigb
20th August 2006, 10:30 PM
I think Mahogany or Red Cedar would be traditional.

As you say, the vast majority of the ones I've seen seem to have gold lettering.

For something different though, and depending on the budget, why not try Huon and black lettering? It wouldn't have to be solid Huon. You could use Houn veneers over a suitable substrate.

I don't recall them being high gloss. I think a flatter finish makes it easier to read the entries. That is, high gloss tends to reflect light making it harder to read any script.

dazzler
20th August 2006, 10:31 PM
Hi Squirrel

I'd just use the wood from the tree you live in.:)

My exp with red cedar was not a pleasant one and wouldnt recommend it for a first try. I even had trouble getting it smooth with no tear out with my Lie-neilsen Smoothing plane. (Can i be a darksider now....maybe a twilight sider :confused: )

Rosewood perhaps :confused: might be easier to work.

Wood Butcher
20th August 2006, 10:32 PM
My dad and I made one a few years ago out of Fijian Mahogany with a couple of coats of Feast Watson SatinProof. The finish is really good and adds a nice depth to the mahogany. We didn't do the lettering, the recipients did all that.

Sturdee
20th August 2006, 10:50 PM
I also need some suggestions on the writing, by memory it is generally done in Gold lettering, may have to take it to a trophy place to get this done.

Squirrel..

When I was working at a golf club all the writing on the honour boards (gold leaf) was done by a local signwriting place.

They print the letters by computer in the font and size that you require on adhesive gold leaf and then peel them of the backing paper and stick them on your honour board.

Trophy places normally do engraving on trophies.

Peter.

echnidna
20th August 2006, 10:52 PM
Most of the honour boards I've seen are mdf or chipboard with timber veneer faces. These (or plywood) are preferable to solid timber as movement is not an issue to contend with.

Older honour boards were hand sign written but more modern ones use self adhesive vinyl lettering (supplied and fitted by sign writer) so the lettering is easy to match up when more names are added to the board.

Matt finishes seem to dominate.

baltic
21st August 2006, 12:23 AM
Hi Squirrel,
I made a couple for our local CFA,
Made ours out of Black wood Veneer board, and edged the sides with the real thing, Gold lettering on a satin finish looks great, but to use Gold, you need a dark timber, I had to stain the MDF veneer.

Cheers,
Gary

Auld Bassoon
21st August 2006, 08:30 PM
Rosewood perhaps :confused: might be easier to work.

So long as it's not New Guinea Rosewood - looks lovely but a complete &^$%^#^&* barsteward to work to any level of fine detail with.

Auld Bassoon
21st August 2006, 08:31 PM
They print the letters by computer in the font and size that you require on adhesive gold leaf and then peel them of the backing paper and stick them on your honour board.

Peter.

Undoubtably more efficient and possibly neater, but it rather takes the mystique out of the old craft...

Sturdee
21st August 2006, 10:08 PM
Undoubtably more efficient and possibly neater, but it rather takes the mystique out of the old craft...

True, but if you could find someone who can actually signwrite on site you would have to pay a fortune. :eek: As it is this method was dear enough.

Peter.

Squirrel
21st August 2006, 10:52 PM
Thanks for the replies and advice. I spoke to the interested parties today and they appear to be keen in the veneered board option. Will just need to work out what to pick. I will take on board some of the suggestions above.

If it comes out half decent I might even try and post some pics.

Squirrel...

Ashore
22nd August 2006, 01:07 AM
As to the finish steer clear of the high gloss finish, hang a fluro in front and above ( as will proberly be done ) and you can't read the board for the reflection / glare,:cool:

Rgds

Sturdee
22nd August 2006, 10:27 AM
If it comes out half decent I might even try and post some pics.

Squirrel...

Whether it's decent, half decent or plainly indecent we still would like to see some pics.

Peter.

fletty
23rd August 2006, 07:51 PM
I restored 2 World War 1 Honour Boards from a small, now deserted, township in southern NSW. They were in the "old community hall" and had seen much better days. I was surprised to see that they were made from veneered ply with solid wood edging, gabled top and pedestal. As such the main body showed no sign of splitting or warping and the "restoration' consisted of restor-a-finish only!
It still amazes me that such a tiny town could send so many young men to war and survive so many not coming back.
love job of course, who could even consider charging for such an honour,
Fletty

Squirrel
23rd August 2006, 09:17 PM
I have been doing some looking around, was advised to check out a place called "Brimsboard". I have never heard of them before and found an office near my work at Fairfield (Sydney). I really liked the "Karri" board as this was a cheaper version of Jarrah. The only thing I am worried about is getting the same in solid wood to do the edging. My next pick was Blue Gum followed by Red Cedar.

Squirrel