PDA

View Full Version : Works in Progress

kiwigeo
22nd August 2006, 04:42 PM
Pics of instruments currently under construction.

Pic 1 is Guitar #3, a dreadnaught steel string. Pic shows top bindings being glued in. Top is Sitka Spruce and body and sides are Indian Rosewood...opportunity grade stuff bought from Allied Lutherie.

Pics 2 and 3 are Guitar #2, a Torres style classical guitar. Currently waiting on a French Polish. Two coats of shellac already on prior to grain infilling on the rosewood back and sides.

Strungout
22nd August 2006, 05:01 PM
Hi Kiwigeo,

It looks like you are keeping busy.They look great.

Do you buy much from Allied Lutherie.They seem to have some nice timber on there web site.

Thanks

Greg

kiwigeo
22nd August 2006, 05:09 PM
Hi there Greg,

I saw your PM yesterday and shot off an answer...looks like it might have not got through the system. In the end I installed a dehumidifer which is left turned on 24 hours a day. During the winter I take the load off the dehumidifier by having a ceramic wall heater going at night time. Humidity in the shop rarely moves outside the desired 35 - 45% range. All wood is stored in the workshop and gets at least 6 months to acclimatise before I use it.

I havent bought a lot of wood from Allied....I grabbed some of their opportunity grade IRW because it was such a bargain. They have some really nice Brazilian Rosewood sets on sale but theyre not cheap. Most of my wood comes from Tim Spittle at Australian Tonewoods, Scott Wise or Dave Freeman at Timeless Instruments in Canada.

Cheers Martin

Strungout
23rd August 2006, 06:16 AM
Thanks Martin.

I sent you a reply to the PM you sent me,but thanks for your info.

Greg

kiwigeo
25th August 2006, 11:59 PM
Latest pics of work in progress on Guitar #3. Pics show bindings being scraped. Bindings and purflings are stock standard Stewmac products.....purfling on top is b/w/b/w and on back w/b/w. Binding is rosewood with w/b/w trim on bottom. Channels for same were routed out using Stewmac rabitting bit and bearing kit. Number 3's body is basically finished. Next job is doing the dovetail joint for the neck.