PDA

View Full Version : I can't decide...

Flat Ron
22nd August 2006, 06:58 PM
Firstly, I would like to say hello as this is my first post here. How I managed to miss this forum, I don't know. I should use search engines more.

And to my problem: I have owned an Ultra16 now for a few years and it is a great product. It does everything it's supposed to and more. I love it. What I would like to do is build it into my table saw.

I see a few options around but can't decide between purchasing a complete TS3 or can I fit the Ultra16 to the TS-III Base Mount & Fence? Would I need to purchase a longer positioning bar? Can I purchase extra necessary parts?

I'm trying to avoid ending up with an extra carriage sitting in a drawer. Any ideas?

Thanks.

Auld Bassoon
22nd August 2006, 07:12 PM
I'd strongly recommend speaking to Grahame at Professional Woodworkers - see: http://www.woodworksupplies.com.au/

He is both helpful (very!) and knowledgeable about Incra products.

I've just ordered an LS-17 with w/fence from him, and have bought a few Incra and other bitz 'n bobz from him in the past. Excellent service and an all round good bloke to deal with.

Ususal disclaimers, etc.

Flat Ron
22nd August 2006, 10:02 PM
Thanks. I think that was one of the websites I checked out. Just too many choices. I'm wondering if I don't just upgrade to the new LS type and throw away my old positioner? It seems such a waste when I can still buy the TSIII stuff and it works so well.

I wonder if the new LS gear is any better?

Gwhat
24th August 2006, 07:56 PM
Hi Flat Ron

It all gets back to how much you want to spend. The LS system is the latest 'technology' from Incra, just as accurate but with a few more nce bits.

There is a strong demand for used, older Incra gear try the Buy and Sell Forum, Ebay or the Trading Post.

A word of warning 'though..... Incra are having a price rise as of September 1st, so if you're making a decision now is the time to order as the price increase will be significant and we only have a few days to access the old prices.

We have a 37minute DVD available on Incra's products which we will send you simply send a Email to sales woodworksupplies com au (put the @ and ..'s in) with your address etc.

Regards

The Woodworker

Flat Ron
25th August 2006, 10:53 AM
Thanks, Gwhat. It's going to be close. I'm expecting my tax check back any day now. For just once, I've managed to get some back and I'm keen to inject it back into the economy as fast as possible.

Well, fast enough that it's gone before 'er indoors realises what's happened. ;)

I think I'll stick with the TSIII gear as it's served me well so far and I can't see how the LS gear will make me a better woodworker. :rolleyes:

Thanks again.

Al Burdon
25th August 2006, 01:00 PM
I have a ls 24 and my mate has the early version slight differences( possibly improvements) but not significant enough to upgrade.

Flat Ron
26th August 2006, 09:43 AM
I suspected as much. Thanks for the honesty, Al.

Flat Ron
2nd September 2006, 04:33 AM
The tax refund came on the 2nd.

Figures...:mad:

Gwhat
2nd September 2006, 09:26 AM
Hi Flat Ron,

Don't dispair!!! We still have a few items at the 'old price' including the LS system.

E-mail us or give us a buzz on the 'phone.

Regards

The Woodworker

Flat Ron
2nd September 2006, 12:23 PM
All I need now is some time. I've been called into the office but hopefully I can get you from there.

My job bites.:(

Thanks

Gumby
2nd September 2006, 08:09 PM
Hi Flat Ron,

Don't dispair!!! We still have a few items at the 'old price' including the LS system.

E-mail us or give us a buzz on the 'phone.

Regards

The Woodworker

I finally got my Incra system from Grahame today :D
Didn't take too long to set up and have a play. I killed a bit of pine learning and more will die tomorrow :D But hey, that's half the fun.

Stuart
3rd September 2006, 05:48 PM
Didn't know you were planning that Gumby - you went for the whole setup I guess?

Gumby
3rd September 2006, 07:05 PM
I didn't know I was planning it either :rolleyes:

I rang Grahame to get a price and see if he any stock before they went up. he had one Ultra Lite left so I went down and got it. The set plus the template kit. Now I see I need some different dovetail bits. The Gifkins half inch is an 8 degree bit but the templates use a 14 degree bit. Looks like a trip to Carbi-tool tomorrow. :)

I was going to play around with it again today but decided instead to join the army at our place of worship for the afternoon ;)

Gwhat
3rd September 2006, 07:47 PM
Gumby

If you need them we have the Whiteside bits individually in the following configs;

7 degree 5/8" large dia, 7/8" Depth of cut.
9 degree 3/8" large dia, 3/8" Depth of cut
14 degree 1/2" large dia, 1/2" Depth of cut.

Call us if you need them?

Or of course the full kits.

Regards

The Woodworker

scooter
3rd September 2006, 10:18 PM
...but decided instead to join the army at our place of worship for the afternoon ;)

...if the temple's Roccin... :D

Stuart
3rd September 2006, 10:27 PM
Gumby

If you need them we have the Whiteside bits individually in the following configs;

Regards

The WoodworkerI'd be tempted by that set as well - oh wait - I've already gotten it :D

BTW Gumby - are you sure the 1/2" gifkins is 8 degrees? I measured the 1/4" one that I have a while ago- think it was 7, so was usable with one of the templates.

I still haven't had a chance to play with my new one yet - still building the fence! (And going to the V8s)

Gumby
3rd September 2006, 10:31 PM
Gumby

Regards

The Woodworker

Oh dear, that's just what I need. Do you accept dud cheques ?

I'd be tempted by that set as well - oh wait - I've already gotten it :D

BTW Gumby - are you sure the 1/2" gifkins is 8 degrees? I measured the 1/4" one that I have a while ago- think it was 7, so was usable with one of the templates.

I didn't measure, I just went on what was in the book.

Stuart
3rd September 2006, 10:34 PM
Don't have the book :rolleyes:

So - how did the first run go? Is it the same Incra as DPB? With fence I'm guessing.

Gumby
3rd September 2006, 10:38 PM
It's the com plete Icra lite so the fence is the standard one, not the super dooper. It's the same as Don's.

I made some test box joints and they were OK but the router bit is a cheapy and probably not exactly the right size. Still, I got the hang of it but couldn't do much more without the right bits.

Stuart
3rd September 2006, 10:41 PM
You could always try some of those double box joints till you get to try the dovetailing.

Gumby
3rd September 2006, 10:48 PM
Yeah, that's my next project. I really like those joints. I have some rosewood and am trying to work out something nice to match it with. I love that whitewood which I got from Loggerheads a year or so ago but haven't seen it around.

I seriously think I might have to sell the Gifkins to start paying for some of this stuff. I'm unemployed from Thursady (hopefully). :D

Stuart
3rd September 2006, 10:59 PM
Retired? bugger :D

Don't think you have any use for the Gifkins now you have the Incra.

I bought some US Walnut, some mahogany, US Maple, and a few other timbers from Mathews recently - just need some time to discover what it wants me to make from it. Thinking a jewellry box. Got the Incra projects book - some nice ideas in there as well.

Gumby
3rd September 2006, 11:02 PM
Retired? bugger :D

Don't think you have any use for the Gifkins now you have the Incra.

I bought some US Walnut, some mahogany, US Maple, and a few other timbers from Mathews recently - just need some time to discover what it wants me to make from it. Thinking a jewellry box. Got the Incra projects book - some nice ideas in there as well.

Not retired, just resting. :)
In fact I'm seriously looking at computer service work as an option. Just me and a van, no employees to worry about.

Matthews isn't far away so i'll get up there soon.

Stuart
3rd September 2006, 11:09 PM
You want an employee? :D

Imagine it - the boss orders me to Matthews for 'supplies' :D