PDA

View Full Version : New Shed

Feralbilly
23rd August 2006, 05:35 AM
Hi All,
Have just finished putting up an Absco 3m x 3m "Snap-Tite" shed, to get all the gardening crap out of my workshop.
It was "interesting" because where I wanted it was on a 1 in 10 slope. I had to put down about 8 metres of deco and compact it to get a level base. The slab went down well with the Absco plastic formwork that the shed sits on.
The assembly instructions for the shed left a fair bit to be desired and I found that I had to be very careful driving all the little screws in with a cordless driver set on its lowest torque setting to avoid stripping the thread.
It took a couple of days to put the panels together and get the thing up and anchored down, then the real fun started.
As we live in Far Out NorthQueensland, I decided that the cyclone kit was the way to go. I didn't fancy my chances with the insurance company if "son of Larry" came through and wiped out the shed and I did not have the cyclone kit installed.
Unlike the shed the cyclone kit pieces were of much heavier metal and were not pre-drilled. The kit came complete with self-drilling, self-tapping phillips screws. These were real bastards to try and get in and, after several abortive attepts with SWMBO holding up a 3 m C section from inside with me at full stretch over the roof, trying to get theese bloodly screws started, I had to resort to drilling pilot holes for all the screws.
Again the instruction for putting the cyclone kit in left a lot to be desired. For example, the instructions showed the position of the items, but gave no information on how many screws to put in each item.
The two stiffeners that went down each side of the door jambs on the hinge side were fixed in palce with these bloody pan-headed phillips screw and, consequently, when I went to try and close the doors, the door edges came up against the heads of the screws and distorted the hinges and I could not close the doors.
This was rectified by replacing the pan-head screws with countersunk heads and putting a piece of ply between the door edges and forcing them closed to push the deformed hinges back in place.

The shed is now up and all the gardening gear is successgully moved out of the workshop. Still a few hanging thingys to put up on the battens fixed to the walls but otherwise happy with it.

Billy

builtforcomfort
23rd August 2006, 02:40 PM
Good work, they can be a bugger those sheds, but how good is it finding all that extra space in your workshop!

klinger
18th January 2007, 10:40 PM
looking at a garden shed myself. Does the absco seem sturdy? Ive seen some flimsy designs.

Feralbilly
24th January 2007, 07:24 AM
Hi Klinger.
Seems OK so far but it has not been through a cyclone yet.
It struck me as being a bit flimsy before I put the cyclone stiffening in and then also bolted 35 x 75 timbers round the top parts of three wall for hanging tools on via assorted hangers.

Bill

Dean
24th January 2007, 01:32 PM
I got an Absco spacesaver (those little storage sheds).
Seems flimsy when in pieces but when it goes together it stiffened up nicely for me. I anchored it down to the concrete using some steel angle and dynabolts, just so no thug can easily lift it up and have a gander at my useless garden tools and chemicals :)