PDA

View Full Version : My babies...

dalejw
23rd August 2006, 11:43 AM
Speaker cabinets made from 36mm mdf and glued with epoxy. Inside cabinets damped with bitumen compound, accoustic foam and dacron. Both speakers have a sealed bottom chamber that is filled with sand to damp the cabinets further. Integrated anti theft mechanism... They weigh about 80kg each.

Rear ported with big flared ports. Inductors for crossovers are wound from 16ga OFC copper. They are huge and weigh a tonne.

The sub off the side was a pretty quickly cobbled together afair using an australian made Redgum sub amp plate and an old 10" orion car sub I had laying around.

Iain
23rd August 2006, 11:54 AM
Is the MDF 36mm or two 18mm glued up?
I have never seen 36mm at my supplier and have never asked.
Need some new speakers at home and may have to build some soon (just for the stereo).

tcns
23rd August 2006, 01:38 PM
any details on the sub, I have a 15" one sitting here and want to do the exact same thing - What did you use as a power amp for it ?

Cheers
Tom

dalejw
24th August 2006, 12:57 AM
any details on the sub, I have a 15" one sitting here and want to do the exact same thing - What did you use as a power amp for it ?

Cheers
Tom

The sub amp plate came through redgum audio http://www.redgumaudio.com/Store/Oz/Sub_Amp_Plates.html . Good to see some aussie stuff out there.

Spent a bit of time stuffing around with ported box designs but as I don't have the gear to measure the speaker parameters accurately and it was a pretty old speaker I elected to go the sealed box route. Given the mains go pretty low anyway, I really just wanted the sub for a bit more punch. The sealed box gave a much better attack for things like kick drums.

There are a few el cheapo sub amp plates from places like Jaycar but I opted for the locally made product which had better specs but cost a bit more. Redgum were REALLY helpful and interested in what I was doing.

dalejw
24th August 2006, 01:00 AM
Is the MDF 36mm or two 18mm glued up?
I have never seen 36mm at my supplier and have never asked.
Need some new speakers at home and may have to build some soon (just for the stereo).

Nah, all one piece. Actually I can't remember now if it was 36mm or 32mm. Around that anyway.

It came as a 3600 * 1200 sheet which was really bloody heavy...