PDA

View Full Version : Help!! screed bathroom floor

danger005
23rd August 2006, 01:39 PM
The bathroom reno is slowly moving along and I'm almost up to the stage where I need to screed the fall to waste. I have found some info on the mortar mix and how to lay the screed but I'm still a little apprehensive.

I'm using large tiles (450mmsq) and am going to slope the floor more towards the wall where the shower rose is with the shower waste sitting out about a tile width from the wall.

Can someone please help to explain the actual process of
1. how to lay out screed boards (or even if I need to use them) as a guide for the slope
2. spreading the mortar out across the floor- do I pack it in and how and when??
3. anything else that may help..

I'm then planning on using a flexible adhesive to fix the tiles.
Also, anyone found a good step by step on the net?

Thanks in advance

Bleedin Thumb
23rd August 2006, 02:06 PM
If you're planning to use a flexible adehsive for the tiles why are you using a screedmix under? How thick is your screed bed ?

danger005
23rd August 2006, 02:46 PM
'cause at the moment, the floor is flat fibre cement sheets. I need to build up the floor level and creat a fall to waste. I reckon the it will start at about 45mm thick and slope down to 20-25mm thick.
Perhaps my terminology is incorrect..

mic-d
24th August 2006, 12:20 PM
The bathroom reno is slowly moving along and I'm almost up to the stage where I need to screed the fall to waste. I have found some info on the mortar mix and how to lay the screed but I'm still a little apprehensive.

I'm using large tiles (450mmsq) and am going to slope the floor more towards the wall where the shower rose is with the shower waste sitting out about a tile width from the wall.

Can someone please help to explain the actual process of
1. how to lay out screed boards (or even if I need to use them) as a guide for the slope
2. spreading the mortar out across the floor- do I pack it in and how and when??
3. anything else that may help..

I'm then planning on using a flexible adhesive to fix the tiles.
Also, anyone found a good step by step on the net?

Thanks in advance
Hi Danger,
If you search this site, I've posted pretty explicit instructions on how to make a mud bed under tiles.
if fact here's the link:
http://woodworkforums.ubeaut.com.au/showthread.php?t=12178&highlight=shower+mud

I would not use chicken wire to reinforce tho'.

Cheers
Michael

danger005
24th August 2006, 03:20 PM
Thanks Michael...
Exactly what I thought I'd need to do and simialr to what I've already researched..but I'm still not overly assured. I think I need to just go for it. I invisage the main problem is trying to create a slope that will accomodate such large tiles and I'm really trying to avoid laying them in a diagonal pattern.

drummelars
24th August 2006, 08:10 PM
geez big ass tiles for a bathroom dont you think??

rust me go with smaller tiles its much less of a hassle as you get down near the waste drain because 450mm tiles with have a nice 10-12mm gap that you may have to fill with adhesive to get a good bond and level.

but its up to you

silkwood
24th August 2006, 11:24 PM
I'm with Drummerlars (sp.?), 300mm is as big as I'd go for a bathroom floor. A 450 will have more cuts than Edward Scissorhands around the grate (unless you're using a full width stainless grate which it doesn't sound like).

Very hard to keep a larger tile looking straight with the required fall.

Cheers,

Mark

danger005
25th August 2006, 04:56 PM
I'm using a Smartile for the drain, it's been measured out to fit at the bottom edge of the first 2 tiles out from the wall- that's 2 cuts!

anawanahuanana
13th September 2006, 04:17 PM
Hey danger.
Just wanted to know how you got on with the mortar bed?
I only ask because I'll be starting mine soon, and I'm stil not really sure what I'm doing! Any tips?!
I've read all the threads, but I don't know whether to slope the bed in a circular motion around the drain, or as 4 seperate slopes from the outside edges in, if you know what I mean! How did you do it?