PDA

View Full Version : Dominatrixed Mitered Sassafras cabinet

Lignum
23rd August 2006, 01:50 PM
A bit of a WIP i suppose Just to show how Domi handles the 3-way mitered Sassafras frame with attached panel:)

Because the panel is veneered ply, their wont be a movement issue, and as the Sassafras frame will also have very, very limited movement i am just going to sit the panel in the frame with Domis. At the moment the entire structure is rock solid with no glue (except the top frame).

The way it is Domied together is the red lines indicate the plunge on the first lateral setting and the yellow line is the plunge on the second setting. Its as simple as that, and when its tapped into place like in pic two its a "perfect" fit and increadably stable with out any glue.

And the panel was plunged on the 20mm setting and the frame on the 22mm setting giving it a perfect 2mm set back as you can see in pic 2. Nice easy little touch.

Its interesting how your practices change after using the Domino and one of the things i dont bother with now is checking the diagonals with a tape to see if what im making is square. Waste of time because its always perfect:D

Wongo
23rd August 2006, 01:54 PM
Noice, really noice. I love your work mate.

You know what? I think I will buy a domino one day because I just HAVE to have one.:cool:

Lignum
23rd August 2006, 02:05 PM
I will buy a domino one day because I just HAVE to have one.:cool:

Wongo you have to take the plunge:D Seriously it will give you the biggest rocket to want to get into the shed and stay their and push your skills to the limit, and you will be surprised just how much of a jump in quality Domi will give you. What ever you have in the back of your mind to make she will do it with such ease you will just want to realy push your own limits to the max.

thetassiebfg
23rd August 2006, 04:22 PM
HI Lignum

Once more thanks for your posts.. they are instructional, informative, inspiring and impresive not to mention a whole lot of other positive words brought to you by the letter I.

I'd send you a greenie but haven't spread them out enough yet.

Andrew

Auld Bassoon
23rd August 2006, 06:21 PM
Hi Lignum!

I remember the early stages of this piece from the 3-way mitred rail/stile joinery (not to mention it's presence on a certain tool vendor's site :D).

Looking very, very nice indeed.

I have to say that you make some stunning pieces. Quite depressing from where I stand, really :o

BTW do you use a Festo D/C or just a regular shop vac type of arrangement? I've got a 2HP main dusty and a 1200w shop job, and was hoping I caould lash up some sort of connection to the Lady, if you know what I mean :D?

Lignum
23rd August 2006, 06:42 PM
Hi Lignum!

I remember the early stages of this piece from the 3-way mitred rail/stile joinery (not to mention it's presence on a certain tool vendor's site :D).

BTW do you use a Festo D/C or just a regular shop vac type of arrangement?

Steve, this is a different cab that i showed before.

This is a newby and the pics you see are where im up to now and just took them today. This one is "entirly" Dominoed and i must say 100 times better than the first one i done. Domi is a dream. What i like is you can plan and cut 3 or 4 stages ahead and it WILL all go together perfectly. But you will soon find all this out for yourself:D

And on the D/C :( :o I still dont have one:D But one day i will get round to it.

Auld Bassoon
23rd August 2006, 06:57 PM
AhHa! Making use of techniques used before. Just starting to do that myself.

My problem is that I've made a heap of jigs and templates - but the marker has faded on quite a few of them, so I look at them and wonder " was this for????) Ah well....:D

warmtone
23rd August 2006, 07:02 PM
Steve, this is a different cab that i showed before.

This is a newby and the pics you see are where im up to now and just took them today. This one is "entirly" Dominoed and i must say 100 times better than the first one i done. Domi is a dream. What i likie is you can plan and cut 3 or 4 stages ahead and it WILL all go together perfectly. But you will soon find all this out for yourself:D

And on the D/C :( :o I still dont have one:D But one day i will get round to it.
Hi Lignum, very inspiring piece of work, love the sassafras grain.

I must say those compound mitred corner joins are a very visually appealing design element........ not sure I could get close with the old Dewalt radial arm saw!

Should I also include the JET Supersaw on the shopping list?

Keep up the good work!

Flowboy
23rd August 2006, 07:24 PM
Lignum,
You really do qualify as a MOST. ( Master of Space and Time). Beautiful work.

Steve, I have the following attached to my Domino and it also works with the FEQ 150. Its a Karcher 2701 w/d vac with an adapter at the end which fits the collar of the Domino purrfectly ( at 30-31mm ID on the adapter) Certainly works a treat. When totally motivated I pass the hose through a Triton bucket with no loss of suction. See pics below, but not of the bucket. Note slowly decreasing background red dust levels. I've lost interest in War of the Worlds.

Regards

Rob

Carpenter
23rd August 2006, 10:18 PM
Bloody trick Lignum........now I know thats possible, mmmmmmm!

Lignum
23rd August 2006, 11:02 PM
My problem is that I've made a heap of jigs and templates - but the marker has faded on quite a few of them, so I look at them and wonder " was this for????) Ah well....:D

My little tip for when you get your Domi is to get an exercise book and write down every setting for everything you make and that includes jigs. It wont take a few secs and will be invaluable.

For those who have a Domi, the legs on this frame are 45 x 45 and the cut is plunged from the top two outside faces (end grain) and they are - Cutter: 6mm. 16. Depth:28. Lateral setting:3rd. Plunge possition to cut:10mm in from the edge on the Plastic scale index cover.

If something goes wrong its so easy to go back and set the settings exact and re do it:D

Rocker
24th August 2006, 08:23 AM
Lignum,

Thanks for those settings. I presume that, when you specify " 16", you are referring to the reading on the black slider, not on the vertical scale, since you mentioned elsewhere that you always use the slider to set the height. But then in your first post in this thread, you mentioned a 20 mm setting, to achieve the 2 mm setback of your panel. This is presumably measured on the vertical scale, since there is no 20 mm setting on the slider.

Are you mitreing the dominoes for the 3-way mitre? Or do you just use them un-mitred, and hence the wide width setting?

Rocker

Lignum
24th August 2006, 10:50 AM
Howdy Rocker:) I should get into the habit of staiting the "black slider" yes it was, and that was to get the mortice close to the edge because when you eventualy cut the miter the mortice depth dissapears fast. Its not an issue with strength because when all three come together and lock its very, very strong.

I just went and cut one to show more clearly. Its so much more simple than people think. As long as your saw cuts an accurate 45deg and your Domi settings are good and you cut properly, the 3-way should fit straight away. Try a test and see how you go:D Oh and the reason i use 45 x 45mm is thats the "max" i can miter with my sled on the T/Saw.

Pic - Shows the stock with the texta showing the miter cut and the Domi cut. i always put blue tape on the two faces of everything i do, saves confussion:rolleyes:

Pic - 2 Shows Domi ready to go. Its sitting with the 10mm on the plastic slider set to the "edge" of the miter, and when you cut the other side just move the 10mm onto the same edge

Pic - 3 Shows the finished mortice.

Pic - 4 Shows it ready on the sled to miter.

Pic - 5 Shows the completed miter with Domis in place. You need to cut them in half and make sure they dont sit proud of the mitered edge.

When you have three peices cut, one Domi dowel will be used to glue up Two sections then two smaller Domi dowels will pop in to fit the third peice.

Have fun:D

Rocker
24th August 2006, 12:44 PM
Steve, I have the following attached to my Domino and it also works with the FEQ 150. Its a Karcher 2701 w/d vac with an adapter at the end which fits the collar of the Domino purrfectly ( at 30-31mm ID on the adapter)
Regards

Rob

Rob,

I also have the Karcher; so I am interested to know where you got the adapter to fit the Domino.

Rocker

Flowboy
24th August 2006, 02:34 PM
Hi Rocker,

I think it came with the 2701, so you could try Karcher. I think its designed as a hose to hose connector. If it didn't then it came with the GMC unit I used as a sacrificial offering at Winter Solstice. Otherwise you might have to get a multiwidth adapter. I use one of these to connect the Leigh Jig I have to the Karcher.
I went to a store in High St Northcote, called Big Name Discounts, who have all things Karcher. If you have problems, I can see if I can order one for you. Just let me know.

Regards,

Rob

Rocker
24th August 2006, 05:38 PM
I can confirm that the 3-way mitre is easy to do with the Domino. Here is a picture of my first attempt at one, using Lignum's settings. I glued it with PVA glue, but, in a real project I would use epoxy.

Rob,

Many thanks; but I will see what I can find myself before putting you to any trouble on my behalf.

Rocker

Lignum
24th August 2006, 06:43 PM
Double thumbs up:D :D Well done. Easy isnt it:D Now to see you make use of the new found join and make us something to see:D :D

Lignum
8th September 2006, 08:15 PM
All done:)

Rocker
8th September 2006, 09:04 PM
Magnificent piece, Lignum. Your client should be very happy.

Rocker

Wood Butcher
8th September 2006, 09:31 PM
That is amazing.

The selection of the timber to make a feature of the grain in the panels was perfect!

Well Done!

Auld Bassoon
8th September 2006, 09:44 PM
Just superb. We expect no less from such a master (or should that be Domi) :D

zelk
8th September 2006, 10:30 PM
Great stuff Lignum, what did you finish it off with? Will this be for personal use?
By the way, I love that white board in the background, brilliant idea, I'm gonna make one this weekend!
Zelk

patr
9th September 2006, 01:51 AM
Lignum.

That is a cracking piece of furniture. If anyone seriously doubts the versatility and excellence of the Domino they should take a long look at your cabinet and your skilfull use of what is IMHO the front runner for the Powertool of the Year award.

Pat

PS. Did you use a permanent marker pen or a 1" paintbrush to get the matching black stripes?:D

Honorary Bloke
9th September 2006, 07:57 AM
That is a gorgeous piece of furniture! Outstanding work Lignum. It's a good thing Domi had you around to help her.:D

PatR--It can't be powertool of the year if I can't bluuddy well buy one.:mad:

patr
9th September 2006, 08:50 AM
PatR--It can't be powertool of the year if I can't bluuddy well buy one

Hi Bob

I know. Its terrible that the most powerful Nation on Earth is way down the Domino delivery list. In the words of the Commander in Chief,

"My Fellow Woodpeckers. The Axis of Evil now includes those despicabel Festoolians who have denied the American People their DemiMoore machines. We will stop buying Audy's and Vdubblyas and rename Hamburgers as Freedomburgers unless the Geraniums promise to send us some toot sweet."

That should do the trick.

Pat:D

Flowboy
9th September 2006, 08:57 AM
Hi Lignum,

Gotta say, don't like Sassafrass, even as a name for a Suburb, but your continued lateral thinking and implementation of solutions (including the Domino) in such a comlete way is just amazing. Greenie headed to you.

Rob

Lignum
9th September 2006, 01:01 PM
Thanks all, I couldnt have done it with out Domi :D:D

Zelk, its not for my use, but a woman seen the original one i made (in the pic below and this is the thread it is in )http://www.woodworkforums.ubeaut.com.au/showthread.php?p=326717#post326717

and wanted it with out the drawers and handles so i made another. This ones handels are rebated behind the top of the door. And its been finished with Wipe-on Polly.

And yes the white board is something EVERYONE on this forum shoud have on their wall. Mines just some off-cuts of melamine and i have a few around the place. If you use melamine its a good idea to sand it first as it has tiny pits in it and makes wiping of the marker hard. But i couldnt go with out it now:D

PatR it was Brown texta i used:p The pic below is all i have left of the Sassafras Flitch that has now done 2 cabs, so it was great value ($320 For the Flitch)

Bob shame you still carnt get hold of a Domi:( but think how great it will be when you finaly do get one:D and after reading about what we all do with her here you will be almost an expert in using her:D

Flowboyrob;) I agree about the Sass, im not to fond of it either as its to wild and over the top for my simple taste, thats why when i use it i keep the design as simple as i can get away with. But i did hear a few days ago that a cabinet was seen and it was dyed "Black" and apparently looked stunning.... Hmmmm must have a go with some left overs.

And finaly my main regret with this cab was not having extra time to take Warmtone up on his generous offer of photographing it properly:( Next time:D

zelk
9th September 2006, 01:12 PM
Lignum, what makes up the thickness of the top surface, veneer plus substrate or thick veneer alone?
Zelk

Lignum
9th September 2006, 01:25 PM
The top is ply that is first edged in Sas solid then veneered then rebated so it slips into the frame. Have a look at the 5th pic as it will show how i done it :D

http://www.woodworkforums.ubeaut.com.au/showthread.php?p=327670#post327670

zelk
9th September 2006, 11:07 PM
Lignum, who does your veneering and is it with a press or vacuum bag?
Zelk

Lignum
9th September 2006, 11:13 PM
Zelk i do my own veneering and its by :( press :( as my vac is no longer in opperation :( but im working on getting it all back going soon:D carnt wait :D

zelk
9th September 2006, 11:23 PM
Lignum,
you must have a serious press there, I can't imagine it homemade!
Zelk

Lignum
9th September 2006, 11:27 PM
Lignum,
you must have a serious press there, I can't imagine it homemade!
Zelk

Nuh:D Pizzy little homemade with some chipboard, cauls and lots of clamps:D

zelk
9th September 2006, 11:41 PM
Lignum, with all those clamps, the assembly probably weighs as much as a professional press!:D

Lignum
9th September 2006, 11:47 PM
Not at all. that cabs largest panel is 1500mm x 500 and that had 10 cauls top and bottom = 20 clamps. When its done you get the inevitable bubble thats why when i do it this way i use PVA so i can use the iron and mallet to pound them flat:D When using a vac bag i use urea and 10 - 15% PVA added

zelk
9th September 2006, 11:59 PM
Lignum, I didn't realise urea formaldehyde and PVA are compatible. As urea formaldehyde consists of resin plus hardener, would you expect the hardener reaction time to be altered when introducing PVA.

Lignum
10th September 2006, 12:09 AM
Zelk they are both compatable. You can put some Urea in PVA to "thin" it or put PVA into urea to give it a bit of flexablity. Urea is THE best glue as far as im concerned:D