PDA

View Full Version : Me and my Triton Workstation - Warning - Graphic Images

PenRex
23rd August 2006, 03:01 PM
March 13, 2005 - Sunday bluddy Sunday . . . it was 1.15pm and I was in my woodworkshop minding my own business when the wifey (who will be obeyed) came up and asked me to 'quickly please' rip some wood to make a frame for one of her recently completed paintings.

Of course, I dutifully dropped my current project and proceeded to measure up the painting and gather wood for the job.

I was cutting down a 3.5M length of pine to width required when it started to kick off the other end of the fence. Not wanting an incorrect cut, and knowing that I should be using a fingerboard, I moved from my position in line with the blade, to stand facing the fence so that I could better control the wood either side of the blade . . . no problems so far . . .

As I reached the end of the cut, I lost control of the wood to the right (I hope you can get a mind's eye of this). The weight was tipping the end towards the floor, so I put more pressure down with my left hand while trying to control the heavier end with my right hand. Never mind that I have an adjustable table extender (which was correctly positioned against the wall about 2 metres behind me).

My left thumb collected the blade and tore the tip of it clean off . . .

As I let go of the wood (in my left hand), the blade had another go at the thumb, removing part of the knuckle joint and cutting down the side of my thumb towards the palm.

Needless to say, I called out to my better half (by far - who will be obeyed) as I stumbled back towards the house. Fortunately she heard me first scream, and ran past me when she saw me clutching my left hand blood dripping down me . . . turns out she was racing up to the workshop to try and find digits, and to turn off the saw which was still running.

She then packed my hand in a wet towel and bundled me off to the hospital.

I went into shock and received enough morphine to make me smile, so the next couple of hours (fortunately) remain a blur.

I ended up getting surgery about 7pm that night and they saved the thumb.

It's shorter by about 15mm now and the surgeon told me I did just about the most amount of damage to it I could before he'd have to totally remove it . . .

Seems I tore off the tip, took out 20% of the knuckle which disclocated it and I also broke the bone between the knuckle and hand. He inserted a screw to rejoin a nerve and tendons. He also rebuilt the nailbed, so at least I have this odd looking nail now :eek:

These are photos taken in his surgery about 8 weeks after the surgery when the cast was taken off. The swelling was still there for another 2-3 months.

http://members.optusnet.com.au/penrex/mythumb01.jpg
http://members.optusnet.com.au/penrex/mythumb02.jpg

REPERCUSSIONS:
- Well, I am left handed for starters, so being in a cast was a challenge in itself for the next couple of months - feeding myself right handed . . . lol my dog was my best friend because half my meals ended up at his feet early on;

-I play competition darts and am Captain of a teriffic bunch of guys in a Wollongong based A Grade team (http://illawarradarts.org) - Wests "Grinners" and I am also Captain of the Illawarra Rep side, so that suffered for a long time . . . it still does, as I have no feeling in the tip of my thumb as I've said, so throwing darts left handed as I do has meant many hours of frustrating practice to relearn how to throw without the sensation of the dart resting against the thumb.

WHAT I HAVE LEARNT:
- I have learnt since then that NOTHING gets done quickly in the workshop.
- I have learnt since then that power tools and I do not mix. I take my time and STILL break out into a sweat when I have to use the triton, even to this day.
- I have learnt since then that what doesn't kill you, makes you stronger.
- I have no feeling in the thumb from the knuckle up to the tip, although, where the screw is situated near the knuckle joint often aches, reminding me of just how lucky I was that day.

bennylaird
23rd August 2006, 03:39 PM
Bugger just lost my lunch.................

Gumby
23rd August 2006, 03:50 PM
Ouch ! :eek:

It's a timely reminder. We can get way too confident with thses tools. Take them for granted at your peril.

Thanks for the warning, hope you heal up OK. :(

Eddie Jones
23rd August 2006, 05:00 PM
You didn't damage the triton did you?

dazzler
23rd August 2006, 06:43 PM
You didn't damage the triton did you?

Blooody Triton again :mad:

get it ...bloody .....huh hey:p

Tankstand
23rd August 2006, 06:43 PM
Ouch! Sorry to hear of your accident Rex, but thank you for the timely reminder to be careful and work safely. (I have a few dangerous machines on order)

I also am a left handed "A" grade dart player and can sympathise with how it stuffed up your game! :eek:

jow104
23rd August 2006, 07:03 PM
Ouch!

I got that tingling sensation between my toes,:eek: ;) :eek:

BobL
23rd August 2006, 10:56 PM
Ouch!

I got that tingling sensation between my toes,:eek: ;) :eek:

I got it between between my backside cheeks! "Squirmy Bott" my dad used to call it!

benchdog
23rd August 2006, 11:33 PM
sorry to hear about your accident, rex, hence the importance of infeed and outfeed support, use of blade guards etc. a timely reminder as we all become complacent now and then. its all very well and good to do a rush job for someone but often the actual cost isnt worth it. I am pleased to see that you still think you got out of it lucky. i wouldhate to see the worst case scenario

benchdog

Doughboy
23rd August 2006, 11:46 PM
Wow You have my sympathy .. do you remember swearing? I know if I hurt myself, really hurt I mean, I dont swear I just holler like there aint no tomorrow..

I am an A grade darts player too they just cant figure out a grade that suits my skill level!!!!

Pete

Ramps
24th August 2006, 12:11 AM
Thanks for sharing your misfortune with us.
I can picture the accident ... which means that I have probably been close myself.
Thanks for the warning and the graphic reminder.

PenRex
24th August 2006, 05:07 AM
Wow You have my sympathy .. do you remember swearing? I know if I hurt myself, really hurt I mean, I dont swear I just holler like there aint no tomorrow..

I am an A grade darts player too they just cant figure out a grade that suits my skill level!!!!

Pete

According to the wifey, I didn't swear . . . which suprises me lol. Apparently I went into shock pretty quickly and was at the hospital about 15 mins after I did it. They were straight into the morphine from the moment I got there. The worst thing at the moment are the flashbacks. Fortunately they only surface when I am contemplating using the triton. The actual sweating only starts when I am preparing to use the damned thing. By the time I am finished working on it, I am shaking like a leaf.

Where abouts do you throw the arrows Pete?? I play darts in Wollongong.

MurrayD99
24th August 2006, 08:25 AM
I got it between between my backside cheeks! "Squirmy Bott" my dad used to call it!

Right! Absolutely. Ohhhhhhh.

Phil Spencer
24th August 2006, 10:01 AM
The worst thing at the moment are the flashbacks. Fortunately they only surface when I am contemplating using the triton. The actual sweating only starts when I am preparing to use the damned thing. By the time I am finished working on it, I am shaking like a leaf.

I had something similar happen with my new biscuit jointer didn't touch the dam thing for two years after incident.:(
See post http://www.woodworkforums.ubeaut.com.au/showthread.php?t=15761

Phil

bennylaird
24th August 2006, 10:11 AM
Best thing is to get back onto it. Safe as house cos you will be so careful.

Bob Hoover the pilot. You may have seen him, he does amazing aerobatics in a twin with power shut down etc... Anyway he once took off and had both engines cut, he crash landed and was ok. Turned out he had been refueled with the wrong fuel.

He was due to fly out the next day and they assured him that the guy who refueled him with the wrong fuel would not be doing it this time.

His reply was no he's the man I want as he would be the best man on earth to do it after stuffing up.

Al B
24th August 2006, 10:24 AM
Awwwwwwww :eek: PenRex sorry to hear about your accident.

Clinton1
24th August 2006, 10:38 AM
Cool.
I hope you have kids/grandkids that you can terrorise with your new 'mutant' thumb. :D

Flashbacks are 'interesting' aren't they?

Doughboy
24th August 2006, 10:39 AM
Mate I throw the pointy things in and around Canberra. Only in a social sense tho. I was very tongue in cheek about it tho cos I am not very good at all, I just throw for the enjoyment.:D :D

Pete

BobL
24th August 2006, 11:07 AM
Best thing is to get back onto it. Safe as house cos you will be so careful.

Agree 100%. Same as when I first got on a motor bike nearly 40 years ago wearing nothing but a pair of footy shorts and a pair of thongs, cranked it on for about 100m and promptly fell off at the first corner. I twisted an ankle and the bike fell on top on me with hot exhaust causing 3rd degree burns on my left calf - I still remember the smell. My mates dad made me get back on and ride around the block before taking me to hospital. Probably wouldn't have gone near a motor bike again if he hadn't made me do it.

Anyway Rex, sorry to hear about your incident. I had one 28 years ago taking the top half cm off my left ring finger with a small jointer - crikey I remember it hurting. Taught me a lot of respect around machinery.

jow104
24th August 2006, 05:58 PM
Penrex,
reading your reply on later usage of triton, perhaps you could be happier using a small bandsaw with cutting depth of 4 or 6 inches? The bandsaw is quite a versatile tool I have found lately, especially with one of those modernistic type steel blades.

Bluegum
24th August 2006, 08:44 PM
Hi penrex,

Sorry to hear about your accident mate. Hope it recovers well and you gain as much use as possilble from it.

rocabig
26th August 2006, 08:18 AM
Just did a similar thing on Wednesday on my 12 inch table saw, ripped my left thumb from the nail to the first joint down to the bone, actualy the xray showed a nice straight grove along the bone.
it left a nice clean entry wond but the exit looked like a bomb crater. hurts like hell and its the simple things that realy anoy you like trying to open a milk bottle
I'll be more patient next time

Richard