PDA

View Full Version : Home theatre versus stereo system.

Iain
23rd August 2006, 03:13 PM
I have both and find that the home theatre system is absolutely hopeless for listening to CD's.
For what it is intended it is good, I just wonder if anyone else has noticed this and have gone to dedicated systems.
Should add the home theatre is Onkyo and audio sytem is NAD with KEF.

woodbe
23rd August 2006, 03:30 PM
Yes, same experience here.

I fixed it by feeding the stereo preamp outs of the HT Reciever into a decent stereo power amp. After balancing the outputs, I now have both good stereo and HT with minimum hassle to operate.

I think the HT Recievers are actually ok, but they don't shine a candle to a decent amp. If you think about it, there is a lot of watts and electronic processing in a HT Reciever for not a lot of money. Something has to give...

woodbe.

Auld Bassoon
23rd August 2006, 08:23 PM
Broadly similar experience here too.

I do use the main (of 7) pair of speakers for purely audio though; also with some CDs I can make use of the sub-woofer, but only if they are of the appropriate recording format (which is?).

The theatre system makes use of an Onkyo amp, and the HiFi goes through a Technics one - although I can't see why I couldn't make use of the Onkyo for both??

Lignum
23rd August 2006, 08:35 PM
audio sytem is NAD with KEF.

Their is a massive difference $ for $ in the sub $1000 AV amp quality compared to a dedicated 2ch Amp. What NAD and KEF do you have? i used to have a 3020e and the Q55`s That was a budget system made in heaven;) the digital sound now days sux

Termite
23rd August 2006, 08:48 PM
The guts of my system is Yamaha, sounds great on everything.

dalejw
23rd August 2006, 09:20 PM

Same here. Listening to purely cd's, the Yamaha has a "pure direct" switch which routes all audio through a much more simplified signal path rather than the DSP's etc. Not quite the same as a couple of Krell monoblocks and a dedicated pre amp but sounds pretty good.

Sir Stinkalot
23rd August 2006, 11:24 PM
Who would have though we would have a Hi-Fi Equipment forum!

woodbe
24th August 2006, 02:02 AM

That's what I thought until I plugged in a decent Power Amp 'just to see' one day. :)

seriph1
24th August 2006, 08:32 AM
depends what you're running - I have a Denon AVC-A1 Home Theatre amp, but it is extremely high end, at least compared to today's general offering - in simple stereo mode I am not saying it is audiophile quality but I find it stunning with the speakers I am running. As far as our family room HT gear is concerned though, I only stick a CD in there when I am cooking of just want background noise.

http://www.homecinemachoice.com/reviews/hccreviews/Amplifiers/Denon/DenonAVC-A1D.php

Iain
24th August 2006, 09:40 AM
My sound system comprises of a NAD 3155, had it for a few years now, forgotten the rating but think it is supposed to be about 85 rms per channel, we put it on a test bench and it produced 150 rms per channel 2000 sine continuous within a watt of each other, but, NAD are known to underate their equipmemnt.
The Speakers are KEF C40, not big but pleasant for the style of music I like, mainly classical but not heavy style like Tchaichovsky etc.
The HT as stated is an Onkyo, can't see the model number and not pulling it out of the wall for fear of something falling off, I hate rewiring the bloody thing and if something comes adrift it requires full rewiring, another hour wasted.
I paid $5k for that and the Jamo speakers a few years ago and find it a pleasant system for movies, and great for catching the kids out when I get home and see who's been doing the homework.
The light on the subwoofer turns green when active and takes about 15 minutes to go off after switch off, the kids haven't figured this out yet and still can't figure out how 'Dad knows what we've been up to':D :D :D

dalejw
24th August 2006, 11:28 AM
That's what I thought until I plugged in a decent Power Amp 'just to see' one day. :)

There's no doubt that a dedicated system sounds better but like most things in life there comes time for a compromise.

I went from 2 Krell monoblocks, a krell pre and a set of accuton speakers (ceramic cones, very fancy) to Yamaha gear. It came a time when I realised that I had 10's of thousands of dollars tied up in audio gear that I really only used to it's potential (ie sitting down on the couch by myself with a cd on with no other noise or distractions) a couple of times a month. It was a massive amount of money to have tied up for a couple of hours to myself every now and then.

I grew up around high end audio gear with a father that was a sound engineer for 24 years (and a cabinet maker for 10 years before that). Wonder how I wound up making speakers :rolleyes:

The Yamaha just seemed to be a good compromise as was the Denon I had before it. The stereo is the first thing that is turned on in the morning and the last thing turned off at night and it copes with all of the scenarios (movies, cd's, background music, second set of speakers in the back yard etc) really well. That being said I find the 2 channel performance of most home theater recievers pretty average. The sonys and pioneers seem to spend too much money on flashing displays rather than their electronics.

I can feel an audiophile debate coming on:D

woodbe
24th August 2006, 12:16 PM
No debate.

less is more. :)

woodbe.

kiwigeo
24th August 2006, 01:19 PM
I recall a similar discussion in Choice magazine...I think the consensus was if your main use for the system is playing music then stereo is the way to go. If movies are your thing then go for a home cinema system.

Subwoofers for playing music in the home, a waste of time in my opinion. I believe the things were originally designed for car audio systems. Unfortunately alot of people equate a high quality sound system with one that can produce the largest artificial seismic event.

Lignum
24th August 2006, 01:28 PM
This is a great read if you want to try a different approach to setting up your system

http://www.cardas.com/content.php?area=insights&content_id=26&pagestring=Room+Setup

And im hanging to make these beautys (hopefully in Nov) and im going to go to george fethers and get some maccasar ebony veneer for them. You will be able to get a stunning Art Deco look happening. I heard a pair of these 12 months ago hooked upto an old Pioneer A400 (great buget amp in its day and still holds its own) and a Rega 3 and wow were they stunning.:D

http://www.enjoythemusic.com/magazine/equipment/1202/konusessence.htm

and here is a pair being put together

http://www.pinkfishmedia.net/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=13307

Some where in that forum thread (carnt remember where) is a bit on the Ted Jordan drivers sitting in a peice of cardboard (just the front baffle) designed by a Japaneese Audiophile and aparently increadably stunning. Their is also storys of those drivers in shoe boxes and wine boxes and all reports amazing quality sound

you can get them here for $264 each

http://www.decibelhifi.com.au/category24_1.htm (good web site this)

Iain
24th August 2006, 03:13 PM
less is more. :)

woodbe.
Wrong, I was informed by a little bimbo that her BIG Kenwood system, stacked a mile high, graphic equaliser with lots and lots of flashing lights, booming big 8 way speakers had to be better than my pathetic little NAD sitting alone with only two knobs and a couple of switches, sorry, it has a light which tells me it is turned on.
So, you must be wrong:D :D :D :D
God I hate bottom end crud, TEAC plastic boxed subwoofer that rattles, anything AKAI, DEC, I mean, I have seen complete systems (and I use that term very loosely) selling for $150 or so.

dalejw
24th August 2006, 03:35 PM
Subwoofers for playing music in the home, a waste of time in my opinion. I believe the things were originally designed for car audio systems. Unfortunately alot of people equate a high quality sound system with one that can produce the largest artificial seismic event.

Depends entirely on the music and what it was written for....

Subs were originally designed for concert sound reinforcement where you need to move a lot of air in order to feel bass in large areas or even outdoors. From there they made their way into clubs where they type of music is predominantly electronic and includes sub bass frequencies that couldn't be produced by conventional sound reinforcement equipment.

Most studios these days (particularly those producing electronic music) will use a sub along with their conventional monitors when producing music. If you are listening to music produced in a studio with a sub designed to be played in a club with a massive sub array then you are definately missing out if you're listening to it in your home without a sub.

Miles Davis, Dizzy Gilespie.... waste of time
John Lee Hooker, Chuck Berry ... Why bother.
Rolling Stones, Pink Floyd... Not needed but quite nice when you're home alone and want to make a lot of noise.
Prodigy, Chemical Bros .... Definately needed, no question.
Tchaikonsky .... Bring it on!!!!! (But only for the cannons:D )

Iain
24th August 2006, 03:40 PM
Tchaikonsky ....
Who's he?????;)

dalejw
24th August 2006, 03:45 PM
Who's he?????;)

He's Tchaikovskys little know second cousin... Pioneered the use of cannons in large scale instrumental arrangements. Died discovereing that the cannon ball should be omitted.

Iain
24th August 2006, 03:57 PM
In true Darwinian form 'Comrade, hold my vodka, watch this...':D

kiwigeo
24th August 2006, 03:59 PM
For Tchaicovonosky why not trade in the subwoofer and instal a real cannon in your lounge? You could have it pointed out the window at your neighbours house.

Termite
24th August 2006, 07:00 PM
God I hate bottom end crud, TEAC plastic boxed subwoofer that rattles, anything AKAI, DEC, I mean, I have seen complete systems (and I use that term very loosely) selling for $150 or so.
Got a mate who is one of the better sources of good audio/video equipment and he has often told me of the people who come in and pay 8 grand for some monster screen and won't spend more than $500.oo on a sound system to go with it. By the same token about 3 months ago he finished a complete home theatre for a customer, installation and all, and there was no change out of 120K. He told me that he put in equipment that he could only dream of.

Harry72
24th August 2006, 11:11 PM
From the way I see it, if your only listening to acoustic type music there is no need for a sub unless your mains dont play flat down to 40-50hz.

With the majority of music that I listen too I wouldnt want to be without a sub!
And no I dont do dance music, JBT/ Foo's/Audio Slave/ P Finger/and most modern stuff needs subs... or your not getting all the signal unless your mains can go down to 40hz at the same db level they can do at 100hz.
Very few can... including high end stuff, simply because they are designed to sound best with acoustic music... but in saying that add a real sub to these type speakers and you'll be suprised. I've heard some http://www.ubeaut.biz/bowdown.gifsingle driver(dual concentric?) TL Tannoy's with and without a sub playing JBT, I'll stick to with thanks best I've ever listened toohttp://www.ubeaut.biz/bum.gif

boban
24th August 2006, 11:39 PM
Here's a topic and area where I've dumped a lot of money since Year 11. First amp was a 85W RMS Stereo Yamaha amp. Then 3 more Yamaha amps to keep up with the Dolby surround upgrades (all Yamaha amps and every amp in excess of $1500).

Then I discovered Rotel, B&W speakers, and Velodyne subs. Built 3 home theatre systems using these brands and must say that for around $6,000 it don't get much better. So good IMHO that I feel no urge to upgrade.

As to playing music, it's pretty good if you bypass all the crap and adjust the sub to suit.

Side by Side against the Yamaha, the Rotel sounds unbelievably better. It is extremely obvious even to a novice. For the money, the Rotel is much better value if you are going to spend over $1,500 on an amp/receiver.

soundman
31st August 2006, 12:26 AM
WARNING A series of rants follows.

Just when the HiFi business was beginning to market using reasonable and believable claims and specifications (sometimes) ( having been dragged kicking & screaming) allong comes home theatre and computer audio and the flood gates of complete and utter BULLS.....T open.
So we are back to quoting silly power power figures and no body wants to hear about noise and distortion.

A case in point
I have arround here (somewhere) a set of "Computer multi-media speakers" that claim to be 20 watts?? I know for a fact that the little chip amp within is capable of about 2 watts per channel in its best design implementation and correct impedance. As built the nasty little things are probaly capable of delivering about half a watt into the speakers. This is the norm right thru the market for this type of speaker.

It then becomes difficult to explain that the 450 watt per channel (RMS real ones) amp you are quoting to install in their church is a lot different to the 500 watt ( realy 20watt) multimedia system they have at home.:mad: :( :confused: :eek:

I would say it would be difficult to find a serious HiFi salesman let alone an honest one that knows his stuff.
AAAAAGH:eek:

home theatre has become a price sold comodity and as such much of the gear fails to deliver in performance and durability.
That said there is some very respectable sounding gear out there very cheap.

back a little closer to the subject
multispeaker surround and quality stereo play back are two completely different design requirements.
our ears and eyes are funny things.

If we look at a high quality black and white photograph our eyes and our brain register great textural detail and our vision seems to be of higher resolution
take exactly the same photograph printed in colour on the same quality paper the same size and viewed in the same situation particularly if there are strong colours in the scene. Our eyes and our brain will see the colour first and will strugle to register the fine textural detail.

HiFi is similar to black and white. Properly set up quality HiFi equipment in a well designed room will deliver stunning depth, clarity and detail, particulary when the material played has been recorded with the intention of being heard this way.

Multi Channel home theatre (and full scale theatre for that matter) on the other hand is designed to deliver an exagerated spatial and dynamic experience and and the material played is recorded to create that impression.
In this situation accuracy, depth and clarity are not the priority in fact accuracy is the last thing you need because everything about the experience is nothing like the truth, it is a cleverly contrived artificial impression of what is going on just like the actors performance and the special effects and thats the way we expect it.

The frequency response is all whacky, all sorts of time manipulation is going on and the dynamic behaviour of the sound track is just totaly manipulated.
Our ears and our brain will be total consumed dealing with all this extrainious contrivance that things like distortion, frequency response, clarity, "transperency:D " are just pushed right to the back.

So a cheap 5 speaker surround system playing the right movie track can seem quite impressive in spite of being very ordinary in fact quite crappy.

So the equipment and the process reflect the need.
The drive electronics don't need to have as good noise, distortion, and other spec's. The speakers need to be small and therefore have poor frequency response. so a "Sub" is used. The sub needs plenty of kick but it also needs to be small so it realy doesn't go all that low. The amp to drive it will often be peak limited and be a high distortion type.

Compare that with a respectable Hi Fi set up with a pair of speakers that have good bas extention, smooth response and top end extension, a amp with good frequency response, low distortion, low noise and a good damping factor and any decent CD player and of course the result will be very different.
And hell even the chineese can manage that these days.

Personaly I think home theatre is the emperors new clothes of the audio industry.

All those shops who were trying to tell you that sound signals traveled better one way down a wire than the other and that this $70 per metre speaker cable will make the chipboard speakers connected to your basic Sansui amp sound sooooo much better, have given up because they are selling so much cheap (and expensive ) home theatre that they don't have time for the old HiFi swindle

cheers chaps

la Huerta
31st August 2006, 08:34 PM
hey mate...

have'nt read the above posts yet as i'm just about to watch Inspector Rex...

but...i was totaly into home theatre, but where does it end, well money is usually better spent on more important things, one day when i got a little extra chash to play with i'll get back into it, although i would'nt mind a sub...

anyway as for your question and my opinion, i have an onkyo too, i had a five speaker set up but now i just use the to mains (jv60's)...

when i'm watching a action flick i space the speakers out to the side and point them inwards a lot, this creats a phantom effect, you'd swear it was home theatre set up...

as for music, it's got to be stereo as it's not regorded in 5-1 dolby so itt sound locco, maybe a music dvd might be good on HT though...

pharmaboy2
31st August 2006, 08:45 PM
HAHAH how true!

I opted for HI-FI that doubles as home theatre - originally that was going to be a processor in the tape loop of my amp, but I ended up buying a 6ch jobby anyway (the last of the good marantz models before someone told em you could charge $4500 as long as it was really heavy) but stereo performance with direct signal is identical to my ME for 59" 58' per hour - did someone mention those cannons again!

As to subs my mirage m-7si ' are flat to about 37hz, and whent eh processor knows this, it puts all the sub signal to the mains - solid and impactful, but doesnt rock the neighbours - wait till you live next to some tosser with an overblown sub who watches movies till 1am! - no-wonder violent crime is up!!!

So I maintain that a good music system does an excellant job of movies but a great movie sytem will never do a good job of music.

Lignum
31st August 2006, 08:49 PM
when i'm watching a action flick i space the speakers out to the side and point them inwards a lot, this creats a phantom effect, you'd swear it was home theatre set up...

When im in the mood for a good listen to music (not home theater) i like to put the chair in the "middle" of the room with the speakers 2mt in front the same distance apart so we are all in space. You get the same effect the recording engineers wanted you to hear when they are in a similar position with their studio monitors. Dim the lights and turn it up and put Darkside of the Moon on (vinyl plz:D) It will blow your socks off

la Huerta
31st August 2006, 10:04 PM
Lignum...that's exactly what i was trying to say, but the words just would'nt come out, about the speaker position that is, not the lp, (no offence) just a film buff, hope to be involved in film making one day...

The Hun
31st August 2006, 10:45 PM
Soundman

You are a genius - your points are not a rant but a well presented arguement.

As they say for sports car performance - there is not substitute for for cubic inches - there is no substitute for quality watts in a hi fi system - speakers are personal but for mine - electrostatic - Martin Logans to be exact- are hard to beat.

Your early post regarding ear protection inspired me to upgrade my muffs

Best wishes

Peter

la Huerta
31st August 2006, 11:06 PM
all in all, there such two different thing, you either watch a movie or you listen to music, i love both, i once listened to a little pare of very very high quality bookshelf speakers running from a 15watt valve amp, it was so amazing i could sit there all day, it was likeee the singer was there in the room, that's what you want...

but a movie is different, it's telling you a visual story like a comic book coming to life, the sound involved in a film is there as part of the story, emotion, and exitement of what you are seeeing on the screen...

so you can't really compare the two as there purposes are different...

HotChips
18th September 2006, 10:28 PM
I have both and find that the home theatre system is absolutely hopeless for listening to CD's.
For what it is intended it is good, I just wonder if anyone else has noticed this and have gone to dedicated systems.
Should add the home theatre is Onkyo and audio sytem is NAD with KEF.

I have setup of a MARANTZ amp and KEF speakers, love it. Its gives a great sound with a feeling of being encompassed in HT, and does a fantastic job using source direct mode if I want to hear a difference eg cds. Either way she's a beauty! Does such a great job for BOTH cds or movies.
Highly recommended it.

derekcohen
4th October 2006, 05:14 PM
It is like a blast from the (distant) past to hear discussion about hifi good and bad. As I noted on another thread (about studio monitors), I have not had much dealing with hifi in almost 30 years. Up until that time I had the same obsessive involvement that I now have with woodworking handtools. What does that say about me!

I have not invested in a home theatre set up. The TV is a moderately wide affair and is connected, along with the DVD, to the hifi, a two speaker system. I have never felt that I was missing out and, when I compare the (cheap) surround sound systems of friends, I notice the difference in sound quality. I am not prepared to sacrifice sound quality.

My system was originally build around a turntable. I still listen to LPs, although CDs are more convenient and used when music is less a focus (such as when in the background). This is a Thorens TD150, the forerunner of the Linn Sondek (which I could not afford back then), and which I modified with better wiring, suspension, etc. It sports a Rega arm and a high-end Supex moving coil cartridge.

The Musical Fidelity Synthesis amplifier is an integrated affair of power amp, preamp and moving coil pre-preamp. It was considered very fine in its day. I wonder how well it ranks now?

Speakers? Gad I went through a lot! I auditioned them all in my livingroom - my poor suffering and understanding wife!! At one time I had Celestion Ditton 66s. Talk about large (they were about 5 foot high) and loud (or, more correctly, efficient - they could be driven to stadium heights with just a NAD 3020, which I once had). Eventually all were replaced by the speakers I still own, B&W DM7 MkII. These are large, have caged tweeters on the top (a revolutionary "linear" design at the time). A very "natural' sound, very detailed and spatious.

I went through several CD players over the years. The problem is/was that nothing could match the sound from the turntable. Today I just play CDs via the LG recordable DVD. It sounds surprisingly satisfactory. Either the machines have got better or my ears have got worse! This home theatre revolution has made for more difficulties. I would like a dedicated CD that has the quality level I still seek, but there is a limit to the number of machines I can place on the shelf (my wife is not all that accepting!). What does the gathering here experience/recommend?

For the rest there is a Quad (33?) tuner (I would love to find a 44/405 system just for its looks). I also spent time (back then) making my own cables (yes, really!). Twisting single core into multicore until it suited my system (and yes, even Lynndy could tell the difference, and approved!). 20 years ago I lived in Sydney and discovered that Space and Time cable (sold at a dedicated hifi shop then) was not as good as mine. Nor was any of the cables from Linn or other manufactures. I was dedicated - obsessed - then.

Where am I going with this? Well, the point was raised that home theatre is not as good as specialist hifi. I don't know much about these things. If I were to replace components (which I may be forced to do as the equipment is aging), I would want to know what I should try and hold onto and what I should seek to improve (and some idea of what this might cost).

Regards from Perth

Derek

Lignum
4th October 2006, 08:52 PM
they could be driven to stadium heights with just a NAD 3020, which I once had

Ahhh... nice to see a fellow 3020 owner:o Bliss as a budget amp, and ill bet my super saw that even today almost 30 years on that it runs rings (musically) around 90% of the suround sound amp crap thats served up to us.

Flowboy
14th October 2006, 05:42 PM
Hi all,

In the front room I've got a JVC:eek: :eek: :eek: system (5 spkr) which gives sound for the Teev and doesn't murder Johann Seb too badly. Handles doof! doof! well.
In a cupboard I've got Boston Acoustics gear, SW, rear monitors and a Sony US amp. In the Living room its an HK630 7 speaker surrround with Jensen speakers and two Boston Acoustics thrown in.

But I save the cheapie stuff for the Shed (see below)

Regards

Rob

RichardL
20th November 2006, 06:32 AM
Hi

I have a pair of old KEF 103.2s together with some Castle acoustics (a small Yorkshire manufacturer who make all of their components in-house as opposed to getting various bits from all over the place) surround sound speakers (compact system - 4 satelites, a centre and active sub) with a Marantz SR8500 7.1 receiver. I have been running the KEFs and Castles together and I thought they all sounded pretty good with both video and music.

I recently replaced the KEFs with Castle Howard speakers. These have forward and upward firing bass drivers and they sound amazing. Many flashy modern speakers (IMHO) sound a little harsh and I can only listen to them for a short time before they start to irritate. Not these. They seem to handle anything including my favorite trumpet and organ test music - without any harshness. They go down to about 35 Hz so I don't really need the sub!

If anyone is considering new speakers I'd thoroughly recommend giving Castle speakers a listen. Only snag is, they are a bit hard to find.

By the way, the wood veneering on them is first rate - no plastic laminates here! They go to the trouble of matching speakers so they are perfect mirror images of grain pattern.

Oh, in my enthusiasm, I've got off the topic here a bit. The Castle compact system I mentioned above is pretty good for both music and video but is a bit limited in oomph! Not really designed for all night parties as they are rated at 75 w but the 6 speakers in the package do work well together.

derekcohen
20th November 2006, 06:30 PM
Hi Richard

25 odd years ago Castle speakers had a very fine reputation. A good find.

Regards from Perth

Derek

RichardL
21st November 2006, 01:50 PM
Hi Richard

25 odd years ago Castle speakers had a very fine reputation. A good find.

Regards from Perth

Derek

Hi Derek
Yes, must say I'm feeling rather pleased with my choice (for a change). Castle Acoustics seem to be relatively unknown, apparenly, even in the UK, but on the odd occasion that they are reviewed they do very well and they have kept up with the trends in carbon fibre cones etc. They just don't seem to do much marketing.

The Howards I bought recently are from the last batch of this model as Castle are bringing out a new series next year. There are a number of outlets in Australia but thay are hard to get in NZ.

Here is a link to a local review of the compact system.
http://www.audioenz.co.nz/2004/castle_compact.shtml

The grain looks nice in the picture but even better in reality!

They also do bigger home-theatre systems like this one.

http://www.castle.uk.com/media/reviews_media/CAV2_HE_5_01.pdf

http://www.castle.uk.com/media/reviews_media/CAV2_EHC_ISSUE7.pdf

Iain
21st November 2006, 01:55 PM
Just a little off topic but I recall the Quad electrostatics, back in the mid 60's, a nice speaker in the UK but didn't really like the local climate, and humidity would kill them.
Think I still have an old Quad amp around the place somewhere, one amp was for mono, buy two and you had stereo.
The amps were never elegant but offered a quality performance in their day.

RichardL
23rd November 2006, 02:10 PM
Hi Derek
Yes, must say I'm feeling rather pleased with my choice (for a change). Castle Acoustics seem to be relatively unknown, apparenly, even in the UK, but on the odd occasion that they are reviewed they do very well and they have kept up with the trends in carbon fibre cones etc. They just don't seem to do much marketing.

The Howards I bought recently are from the last batch of this model as Castle are bringing out a new series next year. There are a number of outlets in Australia but thay are hard to get in NZ.

Here is a link to a local review of the compact system.
http://www.audioenz.co.nz/2004/castle_compact.shtml

The grain looks nice in the picture but even better in reality!

They also do bigger home-theatre systems like this one.

http://www.castle.uk.com/media/reviews_media/CAV2_HE_5_01.pdf

http://www.castle.uk.com/media/reviews_media/CAV2_EHC_ISSUE7.pdf

Just found out that Castle has gone bung, so maybe there won't be a new series next year unless someone buys the company. Sad as they are nice speakers. :(

TassieKiwi
23rd November 2006, 03:37 PM
It is like a blast from the (distant) past to hear discussion about hifi good and bad.
Regards from Perth

Derek

You said it brother! Brought a smile to the dial for sure! I came back from the UK in '91 with about $18K of gear, after being introduced to the high-end by a mate. LP12 Sonndek, Audiolab 8000A, Arcam Alpha 5, Nakamichi triple head, Linn Nexus. Filled the room when I set it up in the woolshed and cranked her up for the wedding - hoooey. The thermal jigger only cut out twice!

That was then. A wife, 2 reno's, 2 kids and an international move later, and things have changed. The Sonndeck has been in it's box since about '93:eek: . Same with the 300-odd as new LP's. The drawer drive fizzed on the Arcam 2 yrs ago. My dad made a new piece for it - in Oct '05. Must put that back together. The Nakamichi, worth thousands then, holds up a stack of kid's recycled drawing paper in the back of the entertainment cupboard:eek: :eek: .

The Audiolab, well, errmmmmm, that and the Linns are used mainly for......my kids x-box:eek: :eek: :eek:. Star Wars never sounded so good.

I must've lucked in with the Kenwood home theater. CD's sound pretty good, on 'stereo' mode, and I have the 'Knebworth 90' DVD which is awsome cranked up and set on 'Arena'. Just like being there, which I was! Great show, that!

I will be setting up 'my' listening area in the 'east wing' (guest quarters) as the kids are able to understand 'consequences' of fooling with gear that they shouldn't. Can't wait to hear 'Floyd' on vinyl again, and the Proclaimers, and Jackcson Browne, and and ...:D

Hey - thanks for a Hi Fi forum!

stupal
27th November 2006, 03:11 PM
New to the forum by chance but couldn't help putting in my 'two penneth', a Yorkshire term I think from a Yorkshireman....anyway to the point. I think you will find that the very best boys of the Wharfedale speaker company decided to set up making high quality cabinets filled with high quality components in a small factory in Skipton in the Yorkshire Dales...the result, Castle speakers, was a beautiful sound and a wonderful piece of furniture that gets better the more you use them. I searched high and low for my pair of Stirlings but the payoff is worth the endeavour. Paired with an Arcam Diva CD and Rotel power and control amps and given space to breathe the sound is sweet, clear but full of depth choose whether it's Jaimie Cullum, Billy Joel, Floyd or Faithless.
I am building at the mo so not yet set up the theatre but did a bit of experimenting with DVD into the stereo system......brilliant......so will use this as the basis to the AV in preference to any of the all singing all dancing variety ( and I've listened to a good few including the likes of Bose, B&O, and the Jap stuff) and will not sacrifice the sound of music to the ears. Yes you can spend a fortune on all manner of amps, speakers etc but for the money you will really be hard pushed to get a better sound and of course a more pleasing to the eye cabinet. I do believe that Castle have been swallowed up as was stated, but you can still get them from Soundavice in Perth and if you are willing to get them shipped then Moorgate acoustics in Sheffield UK will ship them ( they are also very cheap in comparison 'cos they are selling the end of the stock and excellent to deal with ). There are still a few other stockists in the UK who have them on offer but you have to do a bit of digging. You will not be disappointed!!!

RichardL
30th November 2006, 10:56 AM
New to the forum by chance but couldn't help putting in my 'two penneth', a Yorkshire term I think from a Yorkshireman....anyway to the point. I think you will find that the very best boys of the Wharfedale speaker company decided to set up making high quality cabinets filled with high quality components in a small factory in Skipton in the Yorkshire Dales...the result, Castle speakers, was a beautiful sound and a wonderful piece of furniture that gets better the more you use them. I searched high and low for my pair of Stirlings but the payoff is worth the endeavour. Paired with an Arcam Diva CD and Rotel power and control amps and given space to breathe the sound is sweet, clear but full of depth choose whether it's Jaimie Cullum, Billy Joel, Floyd or Faithless.
I am building at the mo so not yet set up the theatre but did a bit of experimenting with DVD into the stereo system......brilliant......so will use this as the basis to the AV in preference to any of the all singing all dancing variety ( and I've listened to a good few including the likes of Bose, B&O, and the Jap stuff) and will not sacrifice the sound of music to the ears. Yes you can spend a fortune on all manner of amps, speakers etc but for the money you will really be hard pushed to get a better sound and of course a more pleasing to the eye cabinet. I do believe that Castle have been swallowed up as was stated, but you can still get them from Soundavice in Perth and if you are willing to get them shipped then Moorgate acoustics in Sheffield UK will ship them ( they are also very cheap in comparison 'cos they are selling the end of the stock and excellent to deal with ). There are still a few other stockists in the UK who have them on offer but you have to do a bit of digging. You will not be disappointed!!!

I got mine from Lintone Audio in gateshead. Got them airfreighted out to NZ and still cheaper than local prices!

The news I have seen on the net is all bad for Castle though:( . Here is a link...
http://forums.naim-audio.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/48019385/m/8692957607?r=8622977607

Sounds like the factory has been running down for a while. Still, the Howard S3 s I bought are very nice and I guess special as they are the last of the line.