PDA

View Full Version : hollow form question

ticklingmedusa
23rd August 2006, 07:27 PM
Pretty basic problem I'm having but I could use some fresh ideas
on how to clean shavings /dust out from inside a hollow vessel.
I have a really fine O'Brien hollowing rig that works like a charm and I want to get my pieces micro-clean inside for finishing.
I've tried a paintbrush but the dust / shavings mix gets dense and compressed against the inside wall.
I'm toying with the idea of making a mini wand to connect to a shop vac to slurp it out.
Any ideas?
Many thanks,
tm

Auzzie turner
23rd August 2006, 07:47 PM
Have you got an air compressor? I have the Air compressor handy, when I'm doing hollow forms, and just blow it out every few minets.

Regards>>>>>>>joash

rowie
23rd August 2006, 07:50 PM
blow it out with compressed air, but if you can set up a small sucker with the vac even better.just make sure it is (the tube ) is big enough to pass the shavings without getting blocked.

La truciolara
24th August 2006, 08:30 PM
And if you have no air pressure nor vacuum, there is a very old system which is to use a flexible tools of small diameter and to blow the dust out of your vase. Remember to close your eyes when you blow ;) <?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" /><o:p></o:p>

Little Festo
26th August 2006, 07:50 PM
Rollie Munroe suggests using slower speeds (when using his tool), approx 400-500rpm. This helps stop the compression of dust and shavings.

I don't know of anything other than stopping and cleaning out the shavings with a vac, manually with fingers or a blast of compressed air.

Peter