PDA

View Full Version : Need help identifying this plane

Bondy1s
24th August 2006, 07:35 AM
I purchased a couple of infill shoulder planes off eBay a while ago and this incomplete old plane came with the deal. So far I have not been able to identify its maker. Anyone out in woodland ever seen one like this? It is cast iron with rosewood knob & handle and has a scribing blade leading the cutter.
I just realised I have posted this thread in the wrong forum, I will eventually get the hang of this, sorry!

eddie the eagle
26th August 2006, 08:52 AM
Bondy,

I trade in old tools and I've never seen this one before.

Try Hans Brunner - you may have something of value.

www.hansbrunnertools.gil.com.au

Cheers,

eddie

JDarvall
26th August 2006, 10:13 AM
Bloody hell. What a monster Bondy.

Can't see that much in the photo. Give you some initial thoughts though.

That leading scribing blade is no doubt a nicker for cross grain work....so that means it probably ploughs dado's accross grain.....but, I'd have to see what the blade looks like to really know.

It resembles just the main body of combination like plane. Like a stanley 45 or whatever.....probably missing a pair of rods and a matching fence and skate maybe.

Maybe a rare knock off of a stanley combination plane from scandivadia, or checklisulvarkia, or fiji, or......whatever.

Or maybe its custom made one. Some tinker may have made it ? The handle gives that impression.

I agree, Hans Brunner may know.... a nice bloke, but a dealer nontheless....uno, if he says ' its just another those things' and offers you $20 for it, it may actually be worth a thousand ! :D

I think a safe rule when making business with dealers is........if they want it then its probably worth something and they'll pretend otherwise,,,,, so don't sell it to them. :p

Bondy1s
27th August 2006, 07:38 PM
Thanks fellas, I was contemplating contacting Hans if I got no positive results from this post. My thoughts are it is a similar plane to a #45, missing a few bits. It is certainly an unusual make. It does not look like a one off custom job, all the machined surfaces are well done and the casting is quite intricate. BTW the cutter is slightly skewed and double ended, held in place by a neat little cast wedge arrangement with a thumb screw. The knob acts as a lock for the fence and there are threaded holes along the body presumably to hold a depth guide. It would be good to see this plane in its entirety, meanwhile it is a bit of a conversation piece if nothing else.
Regards, Bondy

Bondy1s
29th August 2006, 08:26 PM
I emailed Hans and can report he identified the beast as a "fales patent" plough plane, a rare old plane. He also sent me a picture of a complete plane with fence etc which I am not sure is copyright. If anyone is interested in viewing the pic I will ask Hans for permission to post it. Meanwhile I am now looking for the missing bits. Not very confident of this...

Edit 1: http://www.supertool.com/StanleyBG/fales.htm