PDA

View Full Version : Fixing Punch Bag Bracket. Help Needed Please

claraabblue
24th August 2006, 08:51 AM
Hi,

Can anyone please help?

My husband would like some advice on fixing up a punch bag bracket to the outside of our home.

He has tried to use anchor sleeves to hold the bracket in place but while some seemed to fix well others were very loose. The bracket needs to hold 65lbs in weight so the fixings need to be very strong.

We really don't know what to do?

Could you please advise us?????

Many thanks Claire x :p

journeyman Mick
24th August 2006, 10:42 PM
Clara,
what's your house's construction?

Mick

Bodgy
24th August 2006, 11:03 PM
Assuming yr house is brick and assuming 'anchor sleeves' are dynabolts, you should persevere.

I hate dynabolts as the holess must be of exctly the correct size and in exactly the correct place, but they are very strong.

Maybe the problem is the bracket? Try a bigger one and bigger dynabolts. TRy placing under the eaves and bolting thru a rafter as well as the wall.

Your old man must be a big, angry bugger.

Pulse
25th August 2006, 10:20 AM
Clara, Dynabolts and other mechanical fixings sometimes tend to loosen with vibrating loads like gates or machinery (or punching bags). Could you bolt it to a steel plate or large angle bracket first? That might spread the load to a few more bricks and more fasteners.

Cheers
Pulse

mic-d
26th August 2006, 01:53 PM
Because of the vibrations I would use plastic plugs with large hex head timber screws or use ramset ankascrews (hardened screws with a helical thread specially for mortar or brick) or you can also get expanding fasteners similar to dynabolts but the sleeve is plastic.

Cheers
Michael

Bushmiller
26th August 2006, 08:15 PM
Claire

Welcome to the forum. There are plenty of informed people here to help with the problem, but you are going to have to talk to us and provide more information.

It sounds as though you may be hanging the punch bag from the wall rather than from above.

If Harwich is in the UK, some of the brand names/products may not be available there, but there will be an equivalent.

Lastly, is the bag for anger management and if so, yours or his?

Regards
Paul