Donnyj
24th August 2006, 10:09 AM
Hi guys
Can anybody recommend a good knife jig.

Thanks Donnyj

JimboJ
24th August 2006, 01:17 PM
Donnyj,
By knife jig, do you mean a jig for sharpening knives, or do you mean something else?
regards
Jim

Ivan in Oz
24th August 2006, 01:45 PM
A Cutting Sort of dance..................:D

Oh!
Why did I say that:confused: :o

scooter
24th August 2006, 09:38 PM
'Scuse me Ivan, mind if I cut in? :o :D

Donnyj
24th August 2006, 09:44 PM
Donnyj,
By knife jig, do you mean a jig for sharpening knives, or do you mean something else?
regards
Jim
Yes a jig for holding and guiding knives whilst sharpening

Thanks

Donnyj

craigb
24th August 2006, 09:52 PM
Yes a jig for holding and guiding knives whilst sharpening

Thanks

Donnyj

http://www.leevalley.com/wood/page.aspx?c=2&p=32456&cat=1,43072

meerkat
25th August 2006, 10:14 AM
ok ivan and scooter,

thanks for your cutting edge input, we could disect this post for ever so I suggest we cut out these kind posts :p:D:D

Sorry DonnyJ:o

Iain
25th August 2006, 02:02 PM
ok ivan and scooter,

thanks for your cutting edge input, we could disect this post for ever so I suggest we cut out these kind posts :p:D:D

Sorry DonnyJ:o
Razor wit from a gay blade:rolleyes:

JimboJ
25th August 2006, 02:18 PM
Donnyj
I think your best bet is just to learn how to sharpen without the aid of a jig. I posted a thread on exactly this topic a few days back. It doesn't matter if you use stones or sandpaper or whatever. The way I do it is with adhesive backed sandpaper mounted on a piece of granite. Grits go from 80, 120, 320, 1500 and then 8000 grit stone. On a knife, unlike a chisel, both sides are beveled. Simply work both sides up the grits of paper. When your done the cutting edges should have a mirror finish. It really is quite easy and if the process takes longer than 8 or 9 minutes for a knife you're doing something wrong. What's cool about learning to sharpen is all your tools can be sharpened in much the same way and your not wasting money on elaborate fixtures. Hope this helps.
Jim

scooter
25th August 2006, 08:12 PM
Just going for a slash... ;)

Skew ChiDAMN!!
25th August 2006, 08:41 PM
If you're looking at just one or two knives, learn to do it freehand. Really.

If, on the other hand, you're thinking of making your own or setting up a small business, then I suggest you either join AKC (Australasian Knife Collectors) or at least log onto their website (www.knivesaustralia.com.au) and ask for a copy of their catalogue to give you an idea of what's actually out there.

AFAIK there is no real "jig" (mainly just adjustable tables on the grinder/linisher setup) unless you mean something like the BladeSharpener at around... oh... $350 from memory.

For a more basic sharpening setup, the Smiths' kit was around $70 the last time I looked, and the field kit about $40.