PDA

View Full Version : Casters/Gliders for cabinet

TheOtherMick
24th August 2006, 02:58 PM
So we bought our first home 6 months ago and had the floorboards polished - came up real nice. Then once that was done my wife moved in her Grand Piano and I said goodbye to the majority of the lounge room. Now, in order to utilise some of the space under the piano, I was thinking of building a little cabinet of sorts to house our mini-stereo system and a few cds that I could slide in and out from under the piano. Haven't really decided on the finished design as yet but I'll probably include some of those CD rack inserts I've seen in my carbatec catalogue (does anyone else find that their other half tries to throw the catalogue in the bin as soon as it arrives??).

Now, the real reason for my thread. Is there a gliding caster or similar that I can attach to the bottom of the cabinet to allow it to slide easily on my polished floors without marking them? I don't really want to use wheels, and would prefer something with a low profile if possible.

Any thoughts?

craigb
24th August 2006, 03:39 PM
Sliders yes. They come in various shapes and sizes. You can get them at Bunnings.

Tonyz
24th August 2006, 11:28 PM
glue carpet to the underside of your 'unit'. This will allow sliding without marking the floor............Tonto

Honorary Bloke
25th August 2006, 12:42 AM
The carpet will work, but the sliders are great! I have four on my heavy dining table and you can push it around on our polished floor with one hand and no marks.:)

Hickory
25th August 2006, 05:36 AM
HOw about Ball casters behind a skirt around the bottom. Wouldn't show and with wood floors you can make the skirt to within a fraction above the floor appearing to glide above the surface. The Nylon or polyurethane ball wheels are scratch resistan as long as the floors are clean. +

Just a humble thought from a meager mind

TheOtherMick
25th August 2006, 09:39 AM
Thanks for the suggestions.

I think I'll check out what sliders my local hardware shop stocks. Carpet sounds like a cheaper option but I'm worried it wouldn't last as long. The weight of the stereo unit and 50 cds sounds like it could be easier to move on the sliders as well.

When I actually get around to making the cabinet, I'll post some photos.

Thanks all

journeyman Mick
25th August 2006, 10:04 AM
.........................Then once that was done my wife moved in her Grand Piano and I said goodbye to the majority of the lounge room......................Any thoughts?

FOR SALE: One grand piano, must go as we have no room, make an offer! Please call Mick on xx xxxxxxxxx :D :D :eek: :eek:

The other, other Mick;)

Harry72
25th August 2006, 04:08 PM
Look here...
http://elraco.com.au/index.php?cPath=184&osCsid=474240e814b4d7cf1e24c0e68ae27a7d

I wouldnt go a glide, it only takes a few grains of sand/dirt to spoil your nice shiney floor... grab some castors instead,
http://elraco.com.au/product_info.php?products_id=3169
These have a total height of 65mm so a 70mm depth will hide then behind a skirt/plinth.