PDA

View Full Version : Dominos

Ron Boyes
24th August 2006, 06:32 PM
It would be nice if the dominos were available in smaller quantities or assorted packs for the non professional.
I purchased additional 5mm dominos and had to buy 1800.

The Domino as a tool for the inexperienced is the way to go, within a couple of minutes you have accurate joins. I have been using it for the past couple of weeks building cupboards and draws to fit out my new shed.

regards
ron

Lignum
24th August 2006, 06:37 PM
Ron that is a great idea. Maybe their could be scope here for us to swap packs. It would be interesting to get Anthonys oppinion on this.:)

And by the way Ron, welcome to the club:D :D :D :D Keep poping in and show us your Domi stuff:D

nt900
24th August 2006, 07:48 PM
Hi Ron and Lignum,

What an excellent idea! :rolleyes:

Here you go:
Single bags of all domino sizes available.
Set comprising one bag of each size domino. You can find them at http://www.idealtools.com.au/category3919_1.htm (http://www.idealtools.com.au/category3919_1.htm)

Auld Bassoon
24th August 2006, 09:19 PM
Hi Anthony!

Thanks for that! You may have just enticed a new customer - when my virgin (virgin and Domino - do those two terms go together?) runs low.

Cheers!

Lignum
24th August 2006, 09:29 PM
Yep, ill grab some 8 x 40`s they are my new fav:D

nt900
24th August 2006, 09:29 PM
Steve,

Easy to do. It's really a good idea especially as we're all working out our own personal domino processes and favourite domino sizes, its less risky to buy in smaller numbers - less chance of having a large stock of dominos in a size you rarely use.

Now - as for all this talk of virgins, leather, rubbing in oil etc...... I am starting to think the DOMINO would make an excellent a hire tool... maybe by the hour or half hour.

patr
24th August 2006, 09:37 PM
Anthony
Are you soliciting business?

Hire out a Domi, to just anyone?

I say. That is not cricket and will open the DAC to riff raff and the like.:D

Regards
Pat

nt900
24th August 2006, 09:40 PM
Oh Pat - Big velvet hat, long leopard skin coat and a gold tooth would not really suit me. :p

Auld Bassoon
25th August 2006, 09:46 PM
Anthony
Are you soliciting business?

Hire out a Domi, to just anyone?

I say. That is not cricket and will open the DAC to riff raff and the like.:D

Regards
Pat

Ah! but Pat, have you seen the hourly rate? Definitely no riff raff at those rates :D There's also the "Examination" :eek:

John Saxton
25th August 2006, 10:57 PM
I grabbed a spare single pack of each size at the Perth WW show @ $22 ea.
so there is no necessity to buy singular sizes in large packs.

Cheers:)

patr
26th August 2006, 12:32 AM
Steve wrote:

There's also the "Examination" :eek:

I can hear the snap of rubber gloves at a hundred paces.

"This might sting a bit......Ooooh Matron!" :D

Flowboy
26th August 2006, 06:39 AM
Bon Matin everyone,

With regard to the multi racial dominos. Archer (Carbatec), Carbitool and (I think) CMT produce a 1/2" shank bit called a "Double Edge Radius bit", (or similar) which allows two edges of stock to be rounded simultaneously, at different stock depths, by using a variable number of washers between the two cutters. You can see what I mean on p25 (Top RHC) of the Carbitool cattledog. Since in some cases, it would be better to produce dominos from the same stock as the main project for colour and grain match and sisnce you could probably get a clean finish and also adjust the Domi length to exactly what you need, could this be an alternative?

Just a thought,

Rob

Rocker
26th August 2006, 10:26 AM
Rob,

The double-edged radius bit is actually on p. 22 of the Carbitool catalog; but the only radius available is 5 mm, so it would be OK for rounding over 10 mm stock, but not for smaller sizes.

Rocker

Flowboy
26th August 2006, 04:06 PM
Hi Rocker,

In my catalogue, (green cover with a forest on it), its on p25, next to the batten mould bit and above the table edge bit.
In any case, it was only a thought.

Regards,

Rob

Rocker
27th August 2006, 10:45 AM
Flowboy,

It seems we were looking at different catalogs; I was referring to the online one.

I managed to produce some reasonably accurate floating tenon stock from jarrah for the 5 and 6 mm sizes by using 1/8" radius roundover and beading bits. It turned out to be not all that hard, once you get the settings right on the thicknesser and router table.

Rocker

Flowboy
27th August 2006, 04:04 PM
Hi Rocker and all,

This is something I did in about 20 minutes this PM. It's a length of 6mm Red gum Domino blank. Needs some refinement, but is so simple it should not take much. Rocker, I could even do 5mm American Rock Lobster (sorry Maple) for you in reasonable size batches.

Regards

Rob

warmtone
27th August 2006, 08:22 PM
Hi Rocker and all,

This is something I did in about 20 minutes this PM. It's a length of 6mm Red gum Domino blank. Needs some refinement, but is so simple it should not take much. Rocker, I could even do 5mm American Rock Lobster (sorry Maple) for you in reasonable size batches.

Regards

Rob
Hi Flowboy, this is a really excellent idea:

As an alternative to the plain vanilla Festool dominos there is now the possibility of producing more interesting "hand crafted"dominoes using interesting woods - important where an exposed domino is part of the visual appearance eg using exposed domino's for making draws.........

Auld Bassoon
27th August 2006, 08:33 PM
Hi Rocker and all,

Regards

Rob

Possible patent violation there :D - mind if I borrow the idea? :D :D

The only thing is, how would one best go about creating the grooves to accommodate the glue? Festo's Dominos fit so well (unless one uses the wider plunge for non-index tenons) that a smooth surface would either squeeze all the glue out or would suffer from hyrdaulic lock. Hmm, I suppose one could make the tenon a bit shorter than the mortice, but that would still leave a pretty dry joint.

Clinton1
27th August 2006, 08:42 PM
time to get a toothed blade for your Infill, Steve? ;)

John Saxton
27th August 2006, 08:43 PM
[QUOTE=Auld Bassoon]Possible patent violation there :D - mind if I borrow the idea? :D :D QUOTE]

I'll also go along with that Steve.

Thanks Rob for going thru the motions of proving it out...had'nt given it too much thought at this point but it makes for a decorative consideration and I'll start in to make some up of various timbers.
Worth a greenie.

Cheers:)

Flowboy
27th August 2006, 09:26 PM
Hi all,

I think its a good idea for a number of reasons, not the least being that you can use the identical timber to that being used in the project at hand. And also the large possibilities for contrasting timber.

I'll post photos tomorrow, but essentialy, this is how its done.

1. Cut timber to required thickness on a T/S.

2. This is the good part. I bought a Dremel, (yes Dremel) router table and used a corner rounder to shape the blank. It's incredibly fast and very safe to use.

Steve, you could get past the grooves by adjusting the height of the rounding bit to leave a groove on both routed faces, such that there is a groove formed between the tenon and the mortise wall. This may involve a very fast sand along both faces to be routed, but shouldn't. Routing the 300mm I showed you previously took 10 minutes max and was the first time I had used the table, so I was fumbling a bit.
The table sells for $98.00 at Bunnings, but I know you can get it cheaper at Just Tools in Clarendon St.($10-20 I believe), the Dremel I guess is up to you. There are adaptors to suit some tools, but you'd really have to chase that up.
As always, if you want to see and try it, you're welcome here anytime. The table performs in all ways as a regular router table but with some modifications to suit the 3.2mm shank. One really nice thing is you can change the bits from above the table.
Oh, and Steve, I don't think there would be an issue with using these tenons. They would be too different.

Regards,

Rob

Auld Bassoon
27th August 2006, 09:35 PM
Hi Rob,

I was only joshing on the patent thing :D.

Actually I have a Dremel and the little plunge router attachment, so yes, I can see (with some reflection) on how one could cut a few grooves.

I like the idea of using the same wood species as the main piece for any through type tenons. Could cut them such that long grain appears at the face too.

Thanks for the offer too :) Actually, maybe a "Dominated ones" gathering should be called to pay the required obeisance :eek: :D :D and share lessons learned? I'm afraid I haven't much to add as yet as I've only been subject to the black and lime one for a couple of days, but I could always bring along a hand plane or two to balance things up a bit :D

Lignum
27th August 2006, 09:49 PM
a "Dominated ones" gathering should be called for

How do you know their already isnt one :cool:

Flowboy
27th August 2006, 10:04 PM
Hi all again,

Decided to take the photos tonight. By the way, Just Tools are actually asking $68 for the table and it comes with bushes (must learn to open bags in box) for a whole flock of Dremels.
Pic #1 The animal itself, with its little plastic hat (I'm calling mine Devo and painting the hat red)
Pic #2 Shows the workpiece lined up along the fence.
Pic #3 shows the router bit in place and , Steve, if you look along the redgum, you can see the remnants of the burr left by the roundover bit. I did say this was my first run. Using a bead bit will give further "grooves"

Regards,

Rob

Auld Bassoon
27th August 2006, 10:25 PM
How do you know their already isnt one :cool:

:eek: :eek: Lemme outa here (or should that be "Lamello me outa here? :D :D )

Auld Bassoon
27th August 2006, 10:30 PM
Hi all again,

Decided to take the photos tonight. By the way, Just Tools are actually asking $68 for the table and it comes with bushes (must learn to open bags in box) for a whole flock of Dremels.
Pic #1 The animal itself, with its little plastic hat (I'm calling mine Devo and painting the hat red)
Pic #2 Shows the workpiece lined up along the fence.
Pic #3 shows the router bit in place and , Steve, if you look along the redgum, you can see the remnants of the burr left by the roundover bit. I did say this was my first run. Using a bead bit will give further "grooves"

Regards,

Rob

Good one Rob - that ought to work.

I just had a quick ferret amongst the "stuff I'll use one day" in the shed and found a cylindrical attachment for a drill that cuts small parallel grooves; rather like a drill powered rasp - just a quick whizz over some wanna-be Domis and voila!

Lignum
27th August 2006, 11:24 PM
Rob, good stuff:D And dont forget to make up some 10mm x 32mm wide so you can have some super-duper Domis for the third lateral setting:D

Flowboy
28th August 2006, 08:56 AM
Hi Lignum,
Thanks.

No sooner said than done. 10-15 minutes. 32mm RG cut to 10mm width on a SCMS, edged and fitted.
But why stop here? I feel a number of people have reservations regarding Joint strength of the Domis (Myself included earlier on). If they are able to produce 32x20 or50x20 tenons and use the domino to cut the mortises, then the real power of the Domino will become apparent as it did to me and I think you. The accuracy and reproducibility of cut the tightness of fit, even with home cut dowels, would really shine.
Another aspect I've picked up on from yourself and Steve (when he's not tooting) is the ability to use these DIY Domis as decorative panels. It would be possible, for example to use a triagular piece of stock behind a mitred corner, such that by rebating the edge of the "show" piece, you could simply and to any measurement you want create a "mortise" which would show the entire face of the timber insert on both sides of the mitred corner flush with the panels.

Please note that I cannot escape the Cat Scanner!!

Regards,

Rob

Flowboy
28th August 2006, 12:25 PM
Hi again all,

Just to complete my previous posting ( I was interupted by a neighbour claiming to be sick!) here are some pics of the 32x10 in use to create a joint similar to the one in the Festool flyer. (but bigger)
The third pic is a dual radius bit, which I guess everyone knows about anyway, which comes with spacers, washers and a bearing so that workpiece height can be accommodated. This is what I would use if I were wanting to make a tenon larger than I would feel safe using the Dremel.

Regards

Rob