PDA

View Full Version : Leadscrew router Planing/Thicknessing jig

scooter
24th August 2006, 09:01 PM
Gday all :)

In this (http://www.woodworkforums.ubeaut.com.au/showthread.php?t=18939) thread a while back I was looking for ideas on how to make a router planing & thicknessing jig with an indexing system to advance the router across the workpiece for each pass.

I have been vegetating on the design of it for ages, have accumulated the bits over this time, and have built it in the last week or so.

I wanted it big enough to handle a workpiece 8 ft long, up to about 450 mm wide, and up to 4 thick.

For the base of the fixture I used half of an 8ft aluminium extension ladder. This gives the base plenty of strength and rigidity, I didn’t want it sagging in the middle with the weight of the router carriage moving across the top and/or the weight of the workpiece. This ladder base sits on the Triton Superjaws and Multistand, the pivoting head on the multistand is useful to ensure that the ladder sits flat without any twist.

To the ladder I screwed a piece of 25mm chipboard, the same width and about 6 inches longer. I would have preferred melamine for this sub-base but didn’t have any thicker than 16mm, and I was concerned rebating the sail track would weaken it too much. When nearly finished building the jig, I found that it didn’t slide very well over the chipboard so I ironed on melamine edging to the edges and the sides of the top face of the sub-base. This was waxed with paraffin wax. 32mm benchtop chipboard with laminate and edging applied would have been great for this sub-base.

A length of Capral sail track cut into 4 pieces was set into the chipboard by routing a trench and screwing it in with c/sunk screws.

I made up some dogs to slide in the sail track which each have a ¼” cup head bolt, washer & nut to secure in place. I used some offcuts of 40x8mm KDHW cover strap for the low profile dogs, and some offcut 65x19 KDHW bevel skirting board for the bigger ones. These have small brads hammered in to the edge and clipped off to make small sharp points.

The router (mine is a Hitachi M12V) sits in a carriage, it is the Triton router table mounting plate and clamping setup bought as a spare part direct from Triton.

The carriage sits in and moves across the carriage base, or gantry as I reckon it looks like. The gantry consists of two angle iron rails (40x40x3mm I think) spaced apart and braced the width of the carriage by a couple of pieces of 19mm ply Each end of the gantry has spacers of more 19mm ply to elevate it off the sub-base, which are easily added or removed to give a planing thickness from 108mm down to 0. On the bottom of the spacers are sliders made of some black (possibly polypropylene) plastic (remember that plastic skip load in Bayswater or Boronia on Cup Day a few years ago, Sturdee? :D )

The sliders were rebated on the router table so they are an L cross section, which runs on the top and locates the gantry against the edges of the sub-base.

For the indexing function I was so keen on incorporating, I used some 12mm Reidbar and coupling nuts. The Reidbar is steel concrete rebar which has a coarse screw thread (roughly 4tpi) and various proprietary fittings are available which screw onto the bar. Same principle as allthread & hex nuts.

I needed to fix one coupling nut to the traveling router carriage, this was managed by routing a piece of pine into an inverted channel profile and securing the nut by screwing the wooden channel over it onto the router carriage. This secured the nut in place while allowing the reidbar to run through it without fouling.

To the end of the gantry I secured a couple of bits of the 19mm ply with a hole drilled for the reidbar to pass through. I cut a coupling nut into 4 shorter nuts, and locked each pair of these either side of the ply, with a couple of washers cut out of thin polyethylene to cut down friction & wear against the ply.

I made a crank handle by cutting out another piece of the ply with the scrollsaw, and securing a couple of small bearings on the end for a knob with a bolt & dome nut. The middle of the handle was chiseled out about 5mm deep to house one of the short nuts, and the handle was locked between the two nuts on the end of the reidbar.

To set up, the base is sat on the superjaws & multistand. The superjaws are clamped lightly onto the base, after the multistand head is leveled to it if necessary.

The carriage/gantry is then set onto the base, and the router clamped in, with a 38mm tray cutting bit in the collet.. A 8ft long piece of scrap with a notch cut in the end is set above at an angle from which the router power cord is hung to keep it out of the firing line.

The workpiece is secured onto the base with the dogs, with corner/s propped up with plastic wedges if necessary to stop it wobbling.

The router is fired up, depth set, and with one hand on the crank (er, so to speak :o ) and the other pushing the gantry is moved back & forth over the workpiece. In between each pass the crank is turned the desired amount to achieve the lateral movement. This was 1-2 turns for fast cutting and ½ turn for a finishing cut.

The quality of the cut is amazing, I tried it on 2 pieces of redgum (one with straightish grain & the other with great fiddleback) and another piece of unknown parentage, and they come out dead smooth & flat, and the high angle cut of the router bit really handles the cranky grain well.

I was really pleased with the speed of cut too, the Hitachi router has plenty of grunt which helps, but is very quick to slide back & forth adjusting the crank each time.

This is the beauty of the lead screw idea I reckon, you can stand upright, just swaying back & forth & watching the cut, so it’s not taxing on the back or neck.

Thanks for reading, and sorry about how wordy this post is, I was just stoked with how well the jig worked and wanted to record the detail in case anyone else wanted to build one.

Plenty of pics to follow.

Cheers……………….Sean

scooter
24th August 2006, 09:04 PM

scooter
24th August 2006, 09:06 PM

scooter
24th August 2006, 09:09 PM

scooter
24th August 2006, 09:10 PM
:rolleyes: :o

Auld Bassoon
24th August 2006, 09:14 PM
Great work Scooter! Invite Incra to have a look!

Ianab
24th August 2006, 09:26 PM
Yup.. looks good :)

I have a similar setup by mounting the router on my Peterson sawmill frame. Basically the surface comes out as straight as your rails, and all you are left with is some small swirls and lines that sand out easy. :)
Really is a good way to surface those big boards eh

Cheers

Ian

Wood Butcher
24th August 2006, 09:33 PM
Scooter,
I've had ideas about making something like this for ages, but you've definately taken it up a notch from what I was thinking!

Well Done!

Bushmiller
24th August 2006, 10:01 PM
I'm inspired (no inspired not expired) by the posts. Maybe I can utilise the bed of my Laidlaw mill.

Never even thought of it before! Thanks.

Regards
Paul

Bob38S
25th August 2006, 10:49 AM
Really nice work Scooter.

It's a little difficult [my eyes] to see which bit is in the router - I'm presuming as large as it can take - which one?
Bob

Sturdee
25th August 2006, 05:40 PM
(remember that plastic skip load in Bayswater or Boronia on Cup Day a few years ago, Sturdee? :D )

I sure do Sean, still have quite a bit left.:D

Congratulations on building a wonderful machine a la the Woodwiz, well done mate. You have inspired me to build one myself when I get some shoptime as I still have all my old Triton stuff for parts.

I look forward to studying yours in detail when you get that BBQ organised.:D

Peter.

scooter
25th August 2006, 08:43 PM
Thanks all for the noice comments :) I'm keen to try it on a few different timbers when my work week is finished tomorrow. Have a few different chainsawed chunks to plane up.

Bob, the router bit is a carbitool tray cutting bit, I think it's 38mm or so. Seems to cut really well and leaves a great finish.

Peter, fair point about the BBQ :D The bride is toey to get on the 'puter for her "cyperstamp night" (rubberstamping/cardmaking/scrapbooking forum night) so need to log off forum, but will start a thread soon for the BBQ. Will be a Sunday, prob in late Sept/early October so the weather is decent.

Cheers...............Sean

Al B
25th August 2006, 09:36 PM
Great looking unit there Sean, Thanks for taking the time to share with us all on how you built it well done.

Harry72
26th August 2006, 08:53 AM
Top job, happy planing!

scooter
26th August 2006, 09:38 PM
Gday all, & thanks again :)

Had a go at a rough sawn cypress board I had in the rack.

Was about 30 mm thick, 150mm wide & about 2ft 6" long, with a bit of a twist.

Planed one side with corners supported by wedges, then flipped over & thicknessed second side. Had to be very thorough about cleaning the sawdust off the bed before clamping down for the second side, any bits left under the workpiece would have affected the accuracy.

Measured the thickness on both edges of both ends with the digital verniers, there was a 0.2mm (fifth of a mm) difference in thicness between one edge & the other, not bad across 6" of board width I thought :)

Have found that the best finish comes from doing the final passes taking off about 5mm width of cut (still with the big tray cutter), and doing 2 passes - up & back, 1/2 turn, up & back, 1/2 turn, etc. First pass is like climb cutting, ie. the router pulls itself along, return pass is against the rotation but cleans up after the first. The depth of cut seems to make no difference (within reason ;) ) to the finished surface quality, the final cut (shown below) on the cypress was about 2-3mm deep.

The clipped nails in the "dogs" are the go, they really hold the workpiece well.

Some more pics.

Auld Bassoon
26th August 2006, 09:58 PM
Top job mate!

How difficult or easy do you find it to get the board level across the longitudinal and transverse dimensions? I note that you mentioned using wedges. Obviously they work, but would seem to be a bit time consuming to set up properly.

Cheers!

scooter
26th August 2006, 10:30 PM
Gday Steve, re the wedges it's been pretty easy so far.

I bought a box of those plastic Wedgies from bunnings, and I use the thinnest ones in the box.

I push the dogs up against the workpiece & do them up, then push one or two wedges under any high corner or edge that has any wobble when I push on it. Very quick to do.

This has been to counter any rock or twist in the workpiece. If there is a lot, like the first piece of redgum I tried, I knocked off the high spot with the power hand planer before "dogging & wedging" :eek: :D

Meant to say in the prev. post, each double pass only takes about 4 seconds on the 2ft 6" workpiece, so despite each set of passes only being 5mm, the width is done pretty quickly.

Cheers.....................Sean

BobL
26th August 2006, 11:02 PM
Auld,

A key factor with these jigs is eliminating the machining of a possible twist into the finished piece. This means having the two lengths and two widths all in the same plane.

Scooters design has the advantage that it is based on a fixed platform (the ladder) and is relatively narrow compared to the width. If his platform is a flat plane his jig will plane flat.

In a system like mine (http://www.woodworkforums.ubeaut.com.au/showthread.php?t=35655) which clamps onto my bench AND is also nearly as wide (790 mm) as it is long (900 mm), I need to be more careful about the possibility of twists. My long horizontals (Al square section) are all mounted on raised threaded rods which means I can level these as required. I then use a 5ft long level to level the diagonals, level the router carriage/slider, and all should be OK. (one could also use the diagonal string method as well) For pieces that are relatively narrow and shorter than 790 mm I only really need to level the router carriage/slider.

It takes a while to set up initially but once it is done, even though I take the jig off/the bench the subsequent adjustments are very quick especially compared to the milling time.

Groggy
26th August 2006, 11:16 PM
Great work there Sean, well done mate!

Btw, I've got a few twisted rellos, reckon you could straighten 'em out for me?

Schtoo
26th August 2006, 11:45 PM
:D

(A picture speaks a thousand words, even if its just a smiling green thing.)

If the bbq was just after christmas, then I'd be able to make it myself if you would have me... :(

scooter
26th August 2006, 11:54 PM
Gday

Schtoo, have just put up the announcment for the BBQ, Sun 1st October.

Sorry 'bout that one mate :( , but organising something when your over here won't be a prob :)

Greg, might need to hold 'em down with the pointy dogs :D

Cliff Rogers
9th October 2006, 10:29 PM
Just want to bump this thread.

After watching the video I got busy.

I had some 38mm MDF in the shed, 2 pieces 440mm wide x 1220mm long covered one side in some sort of kitchen bench top.

Checked out the prices of extension ladders :cool:
& price of aluminum boxing. :eek:
I told the man "No thanks, I'll buy a ladder & cut it up" :rolleyes:
Went & bought the 'Safety 1st' 8/13 extension ladder on special at MITRE 10 for $99.
The bigger piece of it is 2430mm x 386mm x 55mm.

Anyway, the project has begun.

While I was in the Ali distributors, I asked about T Track & Sail track.
The bloke there showed me some 'Road Sign' track.
The book he had called it C Channel & it was about $15 a metre.
It was 25.4mm square & took a cup head bolt.... pity it is not quiet so deep 'cos once you route a 25.4mm deep groove in a 38mm top, there is only an half inch of MDF left.

I have attached a drawing I made when I got home.

Schtoo
9th October 2006, 11:44 PM
Cliff, get some lamination grade epoxy, ie:water thin, and run it into the groove before dropping the track in. Make sure you use enough so that it goes everywhere it should be, but take precautions to make sure it doesn't go everywhere. ;)

The epoxy will seep into the MDF toughening it up, it will hold the track very well (rough up the sides if it's smooth) and you shouldn't lose any strength at all, since the ally is heaps stronger than the missing MDF was.

The stuff I use accepts a 5mm square nut and works for little things like stop blocks. It has grooves in the sides which helps, and I only epoxy the stuff in. It doesn't come out without completely destroying the thing, and little 5mm hardware isn't going to do it.

Cliff Rogers
10th October 2006, 12:09 AM
Thanks Schtoo, I might give it a go, $15/M is cheaper than the shallower T Track, it is more like $30/M for the cheapest & I want about 4 or 5 M for this project.

scooter
10th October 2006, 02:55 PM
Cliff, did you try a Capral distributor for the sail track? It's a fair bit shallower than 1", prob more like 3/8" or so. Last price was around $12 for 4m I think.

Edit: did a search on capral sail track, cut & pasted the following (bugger proper attributing :D )

If it is the sail track I think that you are after it is called Marine Sail Track it's description is EE4204 6106 T6 4.0m Mill Finish. Their Material No. is 810957.
The only problem is they don't have it in stock and have to order it in from Sydney. I got 2 x 4m lengths ordered in last week so it is available.
I use the sailtrack from Capral and these are the specifications I measured for Woodchuck Canuck last week.

Outside width 22mm
Outside depth 9mm
Inside width 17mm
Inside depth 3mm
Opening gap 7.5mm
Thickness 2.5mm

The track is not predrilled, I use a small bit to drill through and then a larger bit to countersink the opening and use chipboard screws size #4 * 5/8" to attach the track.

The opening is perfect for 1/4" cupbolt bolts as the square section of the bolt is 6mm and the thickness of the head is 3mm. Most of the time they fit perfectly but sometimes a bit of judicious grinding with the bench grinder is necessary.

Might be telling you how to suck eggs here, the topic has had a hiding before. :)

Cheers...........Sean

Cliff Rogers
10th October 2006, 03:37 PM
Local Ali distributor had stuff this shape that he called sail track.
It has plastic runners that go in it & is about 30mm across.

TTIT
10th October 2006, 05:54 PM
Thanks Scooter - sometimes you stumble on to a thread that solves so many problems for you!:D:D
I've been looking for an easy way to 'rigidise' the sled I use in my thicknesser - just have to find an ali' ladder less than 13" wide.
Also been looking for a cheaper source of 't' track and now have something to chase. My daughters FIL is in the ali' door and window business and can't believe what 'they' charge us woodies for 't' track - after all, it's just a simple extrusion - you can get far more complex shapes for a tenth of the price 'they' ask for it.:)

Cliff Rogers
10th October 2006, 11:15 PM
...- just have to find an ali' ladder less than 13" wide.....
The one I got at MITRE 10 on special is an extension ladder & the inner piece will do the job.
324mm or 12 & 3/4" old money.

JDarvall
10th October 2006, 11:41 PM
I think thats really clever Sean.

You may be already doing it..... but maybe you could, in adition to planing/thicknessing.....mortise with it as well, whilst the timbers still locked in position after planing, by just changing the bit over....... or, act like a little drill press...

looks good mate. Thanks for the thorough description and pics.

scooter
11th October 2006, 12:01 AM
Didn't yer see the other half it in the back of the shed, skew?

Paid full (staff) price for it too... :cool: Did score a $15 multifold ladder tho' a while back... ;) ... another story.

Indoor timber is my dept at Cranbourne store, which includes the ladders... ;)

Cheers................Sean

scooter
11th October 2006, 12:05 AM
Ta Jake :)

Cliff, that's the profile. Here's a pic posted elsewhere on the forum
http://www.woodworkforums.ubeaut.com.au/attachment.php?attachmentid=12483

Cheers............Sean

Skew ChiDAMN!!
11th October 2006, 12:28 AM
Didn't yer see the other half it in the back of the shed, skew?

Paid full (staff) price for it too... :cool: Did score a $15 multifold ladder tho' a while back... ;) ... another story.

Sprung! :o Thought better of me post and del'd it... but too late, eh? I was hoping to find the other half and negotiate a "used goods" deal... as I can see a similar setup growing into being in my shed too.

I already have a good thicknesser, but it can be a right chore with warped and cupped pieces. Lately, that seems to describe all the wood I find. [sigh]

Indoor timber is my dept at Cranbourne store, which includes the ladders... ;)

Hmmm... mebbe you'll see me again sooner than you'd hope. :D Just as well for you I didn't know this 12 months ago... I've been buying a lot of stock from Crannie for use down at the Island (way too dear down there! :eek: ) and I'd have made your life a misery.

scooter
14th October 2006, 02:54 PM
Sprung! :o Thought better of me post and del'd it... but too late, eh? I was hoping to find the other half and negotiate a "used goods" deal... as I can see a similar setup growing into being in my shed too.

I already have a good thicknesser, but it can be a right chore with warped and cupped pieces. Lately, that seems to describe all the wood I find. [sigh]

Hmmm... mebbe you'll see me again sooner than you'd hope. :D Just as well for you I didn't know this 12 months ago... I've been buying a lot of stock from Crannie for use down at the Island (way too dear down there! :eek: ) and I'd have made your life a misery.

No worries, mate, come & say gday. :) As a Wesfarmers shareholder I like people buying stuff :D

I reckon my jig would tandem well with a thicknesser, as mentioned earlier in the thread it can be done on the router jig but truing up one face & running through the th. would be faster & simpler.

Yer can have the other half of the ladder for $30. Lemme know if interested.

Cheers..................Sean

Barry_White
14th October 2006, 03:50 PM
Ta Jake :)

Cliff, that's the profile. Here's a pic posted elsewhere on the forum
http://www.woodworkforums.ubeaut.com.au/attachment.php?attachmentid=12483

Cheers............Sean

That looks like my pic. The background is my office chair seat.

scooter
14th October 2006, 05:27 PM
...snuck in when you weren't home, Baz :o

:D

Bit of judicious cut & pasting, unattributed as I was being lazy :D

Cheers..............Sean

Wayne Johnson
29th April 2007, 10:51 PM
Brilliant Scooter.
I want one!

All the best
Wayne

Gday all, & thanks again :)

Had a go at a rough sawn cypress board I had in the rack.

Was about 30 mm thick, 150mm wide & about 2ft 6" long, with a bit of a twist.

Planed one side with corners supported by wedges, then flipped over & thicknessed second side. Had to be very thorough about cleaning the sawdust off the bed before clamping down for the second side, any bits left under the workpiece would have affected the accuracy.

Measured the thickness on both edges of both ends with the digital verniers, there was a 0.2mm (fifth of a mm) difference in thicness between one edge & the other, not bad across 6" of board width I thought :)

Have found that the best finish comes from doing the final passes taking off about 5mm width of cut (still with the big tray cutter), and doing 2 passes - up & back, 1/2 turn, up & back, 1/2 turn, etc. First pass is like climb cutting, ie. the router pulls itself along, return pass is against the rotation but cleans up after the first. The depth of cut seems to make no difference (within reason ;) ) to the finished surface quality, the final cut (shown below) on the cypress was about 2-3mm deep.

The clipped nails in the "dogs" are the go, they really hold the workpiece well.

Some more pics.

scooter
29th April 2007, 11:47 PM
Cheers Wayne.................Sean :)

BobL
30th April 2007, 12:36 AM
Nice grain!