PDA

View Full Version : Finally won the war.

Bodgy
25th August 2006, 12:54 PM
I can now cut a 1.5mm veneer from hardwood stock with an error margin of 0.1 to 0.2mm.

This has been a year's battle and I've spent about 30 hrs adjusting, modifying and re-machining my Sherwood 14". For an extra few hundred I could have got a Jet!

Still very satisfying tho, having triumphed over overwhelming Taiwanese odds.

I won't bore anyone with the exact problems and solutions, but as a general statement the main two castings were out of whack and everything else was subsequent.

Should also thank Wongo for the extra wide 3 TPI blade he gave me, that wouldn't fit his Jet.

DJ’s Timber
25th August 2006, 01:21 PM
G'day Bodgy

Good to hear that you won the battle with your bandsaw. I am going thru the process as well when time permits. How do you find that fence that you have pictured there? I am thinking of either buying one or making up one out of some steel that I have laying around

Wongo
25th August 2006, 01:39 PM
Nice work.:cool:

Bodgy
25th August 2006, 01:51 PM
G'day Bodgy

Good to hear that you won the battle with your bandsaw. I am going thru the process as well when time permits. How do you find that fence that you have pictured there? I am thinking of either buying one or making up one out of some steel that I have laying around

Fence is fine for $50 odd and good enough for me.

Its been a problem, but only because the table wasn't square to the blade.

One thing I'd recommend is that you don't use the bolts they supply to attach to table edges. If your table is like mine, the reinforcing fins below disallow the nut to seat. I just drilled and tapped some holes for screws. Easy enough into the soft cast.

Also dont stick down the measuring tape until you are 100% satisfied you have finally, irrevocably, and take it to the grave tuned the BS. Even a few degrees of fence angle either way throws out the measurement substantially.

Good luck and have patience.

Auld Bassoon
25th August 2006, 09:34 PM
Glad that you've finally got there mate! Nice even work in taking a 1,5mm slice!

A couple of Qs: why the Masonite(?) top to the table? wasn't it flat, and if not won't the Masonite just follow the table anyway?

Also, how are you dealing with drift? Or are you just following by eye a cut line? Tricky at veneer thickness (thiness?) values...

Bodgy
26th August 2006, 12:35 AM
Hey Basoon

No the table wasn't flat and the work would catch on the slots for the mitre guide. It would show the blade was square measuring from the left, but off when measuring from the right with the same square!

I shimmed up the lows with multiple layers of masking tape, and made the masonite false table so it could be removed for angled cuts and mitre usage.

The cuts were made to the fence, the drift is compensated for by slightly angling the fence. This is after I had to shim out the fence guides with washers as the table could not be re-adjusted enough to be square to the blade after I re attached the upper casting so that the wheels were co-planar.

All in all a time comsuming nightmare, but at least its over.

NewLou
26th August 2006, 08:20 AM
Well done Bodgy:)

Dispite the drama and hassle factor theres nothing like the satisfaction of being able to problem solve effectively and Finesse your BAndsaw.

Getting 'the enemy' to a degree of accuracy to cut sub 2mm veneers is nothing short of outstanding.................I take my hat off to you

Enjoy the victory!!!!

REgards Lou:D:D:D

Squirrel
26th August 2006, 10:46 AM
I normally just read all the threads in this forum and say nothing.
But, have to say this achievement is most impressing.

Squirrel