PDA

View Full Version : Trouble in the cave

Wild Dingo
26th August 2006, 02:27 AM
So with the computers dying a thousand deaths and IT gits taking their sweet time (and my money!) I had little to do the last 2 weeks other than sulk in the cave visit quacks in the big smoke and generally annoy the heck out of her bloody highness

So the other day I wandered out to the stack and cut of a nice length of camphor laurel that was layin there screamin "Make me into a goblet yer git" and so I did... took it to the bandysaw and trimmed her nice and near square (dyslexic eyes dontcha know ;) ) then fronted the lathe and turned it nice and cylindrical... bloody wicked smell that camphor laurel eh? whahooooooooo!!! :D anyway I turned it down to the round shape needed between centres then took it off and bunged it into the supadupanova chuck thing tightened it up set it on the lathe again set meself up deep deep breathes (first go at diggin the wood outt a peice on the supa nova here mates) make sure the stand thing was just a tad under center of the peice grabbed up the gouge and deep breathe turn on lathe let her wind herself up deep breath again touch gouge to wood

WIZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ!!! BAM!!! a startled cry from the doorway "OHHH MY FREEKIN GOD" look see missus shelterin around the corner peekin through the open door then wander over to the far corner of the shed reach under the dusty and pick up the now chunked up once perfect cylinder... mmmm not good I thinks

Notice missus runnin back to the house screaming over her shoulder "CALL ME WHEN ITS SAFE YER DOPEY BUGGAR"... yeah right like thats gonna happen :rolleyes:

So I wandered over and took the supa nova off the lathe and checked it over... mmm still the same... check the peice only a few chunks out of it down the base "yeah I can deal with that no worries" I think to meself and put the piece back in... tighten the buggary outta the thing do a couple of test yanks on the peice nope no movement at all try to tighten it some more put it to the lathe again... same result WIZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ BAM!!

mmmm so I grab the peice from its new hiding spot under the bench go to the lathe get out the screw thing that came with it over to the drill press find drill a little smaller than the screw thing and drill hole in centre thread screw thing on... okay thats tighter than a gnats bum I think to meself and then into the supanova I bung it tighten that up... deep breathe put it on the lathe... turn on... deep breath

Would you believe it? WIZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ BAM!! again

Now Im not a superstitious bloke by any means but that was the third time that blasted peice of wood came flyin outta the lathe and this time it went past my friggin earhole at a heck of a rate of knots!!! So discretion bein the better part of valor I decided to make a bandysaw box...

So I grabbed another peice of timber this time a nice chunk of Mulbury I had just sittin screaming at me "MAKE ME INTO A LOVELY BOX FOR ONE OF THE GIRLS YER GIT" so I did... well I started to... but the blasted cat gut under foot just as I was sending it for its first cut between my legs the damned furball went tail slithering up my strides leg (yer me fiirst thought to dont worry I thought WOW!! me lucks changed!! WHAHOOO but no just the friggin cat :rolleyes: ) and I jumped sliced the damned wood totally the wrong way bandysaw screaming cause its blades bent the wrong way and me damned dopey digits comin within a numnuts ion of bein sausage meat!!

So.... bein the brave soul I am... the true mans man I am known far and wide as... I gave up

... and went outside to kick the cat bite the dog chuck the cricket ball AT the kids then waltzed inside snarled at her bloody highness and plonked meself in front of the ruddy idiot box!

But in all that several things I must have cleared up...

First what did I do wrong???? Firstly with puttin it into the jaws I mean the peice of cylinder fit into the jaws bloody perfectly... it was tight... it was level... the stand was roughly 1/4in under center... I fronted the sodding thing right by gar! Heck I even had the lathe turned down LOW so... what did I do wrong?

Secondly with fittin the screw to it and to the lathe it was firm in the timber... the screw was firm in the chuck... but what did I do friggin wrong that it came out?

Thirdly... I DONT OWN A FRIGGIN CAT!!!! :mad: I hate loathe and detest cats always have always will so... WHY WAS A CAT IN ME SHED???? :eek:

Coldamus
26th August 2006, 09:04 AM
Awww! The cat likes you. Isn't that nice!!!

Toasty
26th August 2006, 09:44 AM
First what did I do wrong???? Firstly with puttin it into the jaws I mean the peice of cylinder fit into the jaws bloody perfectly... it was tight... it was level... the stand was roughly 1/4in under center... I fronted the sodding thing right by gar! Heck I even had the lathe turned down LOW so... what did I do wrong?

What jaws were you using to hold it in the chuck?
Did you bring the tailstock up to support the piece until you removed a bit more of the wood or did you hack straight into the end grain?
What gouge were you using?
Were your tools sharp?

Doughboy
26th August 2006, 09:49 AM
Yeah what toasty said and then one more...

Give the cat some milk ya old phart.... be nice to the moggie, be even nicer to the moggie and put a couple of drops of tobasco sauce in it. Wont hurt the cat too much but you can be sure it ont return!!!

Pete

DJ’s Timber
26th August 2006, 09:58 AM
Did ya put it between centres first and put a spigot on the end first cause if ya didn't, it will fly off and the cat was trying to tell ya that I am homeless and will you please give me a home

dazzler
26th August 2006, 10:44 AM
Hey dingo

Whats about we abduct Raffan and keep im in a cage, then we can drag im out on a chain, snarlin and a cussin, to show us how to do it.

Then back to the cage:p

ptc
26th August 2006, 11:12 AM
Dingo.
Not your day for sure.

lubbing5cherubs
26th August 2006, 11:23 AM
I don't know why and I know some people be able to help you out but I do have to say if that what happens when that cats around my opinion would be to hunt that cat to billyo
bye

Trench
26th August 2006, 07:00 PM
Csn fully understand where you are at. Went to shed to make some shavings today, Been raining all night. found shed flooded. Spent most of the day drying out. Started a piece (hollow form) ended up going through and making a designed funnel. Not a good day. Luckily cat stayed out of shed. Must have a good sense of self presevation

Groggy
26th August 2006, 07:40 PM
Lemme guess - black cat? :eek:

Good idea to go in for the day, some days it pays to take a hint.

Trench
26th August 2006, 08:02 PM
Yeah you are right but then better in the shed than being directed by SWMBO. And yes the cat is black

TTIT
27th August 2006, 12:43 AM
My guess is that it's the angle you're applying the gouge at Dingo.;) As long as you had a bit of a dovetail turned into your cylinder to match your chuck jaws it should have held fine, UNLESS you hit the gouge in at a savage angle causing some serious dig-in.:eek:

Or it could just have been that you weren't meant to be in the shed that day!:o

Farnk
27th August 2006, 10:11 AM
LMAO!

Great post mate, been there and done that!
I've had possums / cats / birds you name it in the shed mainly because I'm too lazy or forget to shut the door.

The GMC was an almost perfect wood hurling machine, I've had seemingly solid pieces explode into a gazillion bits and also come within a bees tadger of removing digits on the BS.

I've been out of the shed for a week or two, there are a heap of half finished pieces and I have a lovely bit of spotted gum that is screaming at me!

baxter
27th August 2006, 12:47 PM
Hey dingo

Whats about we abduct Raffan and keep im in a cage, then we can drag im out on a chain, snarlin and a cussin, to show us how to do it.

Then back to the cage:p

Last year a gang of us did kidnap Raffan and held him hostage at Grafton for 6 days. Daily we tortured him until he demonstrated another of his techniques then made him squirm while we made him watch us try to repeat what he had done. Is there a better way to learn woodturning than in a hands on class with a master like him? Can recommend the experience.

Well another gang is going to kidnap Richard Raffan again this October. Another 6 day course and I can't wait. Last time I heard there were some seats left in the getaway car. More information at www.artsfestgrafton.com (http://www.artsfestgrafton.com)

Dingo sorry to hijack the thread, but this is a golden opportunity that I had to share with others.

P.S. Don't tell RR;)

Wild Dingo
27th August 2006, 01:48 PM
No worries I hyjack all the time :rolleyes: :D

The cylinder fit well inside the jaws of the chuck and Id tapered it a bit probably not enough I guess the damned thing just slid out! (mmmm wonder if Im missing something thats meant to be with that chuck? doesnt seem to have any grip on the wood once under spin power)

ah well... Ive already told her bloody highness that Im going to HAVE to join or at least go gander at them woodturners one night or two at the Bunbury woodturners group thingy :cool:

Well... the furry invader has decided that no matter what we or I... particularily I... try to do to phiss it of its stayin and we and I... and I in particular... can get well lets just say the damed thing has intentions of remaining no matter what I do... chili in the food the kids leave out for it... radishes in the milk... rat traps with "here puddy tat" written on them in catink... nothin works!! the ruddy thing has taken up residence adopted the kids and thats that.... I console meself that the mice population has disappeared since its arrival and thats a good thing eh :cool: Actually its not to bad at stayin outta the shed really... as long as I and it see each other it stays outside the doorway if I dont see it or it comes through the other door while Im busy then tough shyte me!! I mean I dont ask for much really I dont just some time in me shed alone tinkerin an makin sawdust thats all just me an the wood and me tools... kids understand that... her bloody highness understands that... so why cant the friggin cat? I mean I dont like friggin cats!! I dont seriously I dont cant abide the creatures... smartass things they are ever noticed that? noses up in the air hoity toity purrr like their bums dont stick an the blighters would whack yer across the noggin at the first sign of weekness!!... cats! uuughhhhh :rolleyes:

JUST STAY THE BLOODY ECK OUTTA ME SHED YER FUR BALL!!! :mad:

note... I give up this is gettin just way to dangerous so Im gonna get a few lessons!! :o But dont tell anyone okay? I gots me a rep to think of!!... lets just say Im gonna join for the mateship and company alright? ;)

rsser
27th August 2006, 03:14 PM
What size jaws Dingo?

And what size lump of wood and what were you using for roughing out?

The lump should give you some forensic evidence: put it back on the lathe, rotate by hand with your tool where it was in your other hand. The dig should repeat in slo-mo.

(edit: were the jaw tops up against a shoulder?)

Skew ChiDAMN!!
27th August 2006, 06:31 PM
Ah, Dingo me ol' mate. You do like to jump in at the deep end, dontcha? :D

OK, all jaws have a maximum safe length that they'll hold. I imagine that the piece you were working on was probably 8" or longer? The normal 45mm jaws will only safely hold up to around 6", I think. I have a chart here somewhere but can't be buggered finding it. [shrug] End-grain hollowing for a goblet reduces this length even more... I'd say to only 4 or 5" for std. jaws.

What you want for goblets are the Powergrips, Longnose jaws or 50mm Spigot jaws. Something with a bit of beef behind 'em, that grip an inch or two of the wood, not just a piddly little bit. Even with those, 8" hanging out of the chuck is about where things start to get dodgy, even after you get some practise under the belt. Trust me, I know. :rolleyes:

Use the tailstock as much as possible for support, even when hollowing out. It's a pain in the butt working around it, but nowhere near as much as being hit on the noggin by a flying chunk of wood. :D

Also, I rarely use a gouge for hollowing goblets. Scrapers are a lot safer, 'cos they won't lever the wood out of the chuck if they catch. Welll... if you're using 'em right, anyway. The gouge only comes into play for finishing cuts inside the goblet, although I'm beginning to do more'n'more shear scraping there, too. Just as good a finish, less problems with UFOs.

Wild Dingo
27th August 2006, 07:01 PM
Damned if I know what size jaws are on the thing!! :eek: Standard Supa Nova chuck bought from that Orange place... is all I know :rolleyes: Got that the lathe some chisels and the faceplate at the same time

Skew I made sure it was small enough to fit snugly between the jaws and tightened up hard... just didnt seem to want to hold... mmmmm could be that size thing eh? I had started turnin the outside when it suddenly dawned on me that if I go to far I wont be able to do the inside at all as it would get too wobbly doncha know? ;) so I guess that ruddy lip Id made for the base coulda been the prob... See Id turned the cylinder then started turnin the shape of the outside of the goblet when the spark finally burnt a hole in me noggin and I changed tacks :rolleyes:

Blunt chisels?... mmmmm... well... uuummmm.... errrrrr.... blunt? corbloodyblimey!! Sod it all now THAT could be cause exemplar eh!! strewth... mmmm next question... how the bloody blue blazes do you sharpen those curved an pointy ones? eh? tell me that yer smartgit!!! I mean... well... sod it all!!! thats quite likely possibly the reason for me problemohs :o blunt tools!! egad Shane yer mad drongo!!! :eek: Okay I can feel a trip to PMTS or Carbatec for some new chisels comin up!! :p well if one needs new sharp chisels then by gar he betta go buy some more thats the motto aint it?! :D

And yeah ol mate Ive been known to take the bull by the horns and do a dance with something I know absofrigginlutely nothing about... just adds that spicey adrenaline rush thing you know? ;)

Lathe work was/is that for me... totally unknown thing till very recently and Im not vain enough to consider I know anything about it or am very good at it I just know I love doin it!!... trouble is... I really dont know what Im doin!! :eek: "blindly goin were no man has gone before" that sorta thing :rolleyes: Im a dill... yep I admit it Im an absolute dillberry of the finest order game as Ned Kelly keen as mustard and love somethin new and challenging :cool: Trouble is I dont know what the hell Im doin!! which brings us back to ignorance being bliss! ;) mind you I have bought some books which I did read the day/night I got them home and now they sit pleasantly comfortable on the shelf gathing a nice patina of dust :cool: I will admit with the efforts the other day I did go back and read through but me eyeballs wouldnt focus... ah well Ive always said Im a visual kinda bloke ;)

Actually I just like tryin new things... a lathe is an interesting peice of machinery and the output is bloody brilliant... but BROTHER! is it a learnin curve!!... do somethin get it right first pop confidence builds do somethin else get it near on right confidence builds again then do something else and BLAM ZZZZZWWWHHHHHHHHOOOOOOOOOOOSH CLANG BANG BAM!!! your suddenly viewing your life before your eyes as a chunck of wood whirrling around at supersubsonic speed suddenly begins wackin the walls and roof of the shed!! :eek: confidence suddenly flags down around the jocks... try it again and theyre well past your jocks :o and after that close shave I even needed new ones of them!! :p

As I said Im gonna have to hang me noggin an take me well and truely humbled ol self along to see that Bunbury Woodturnin mob or head up and see young Joash... did I mention that kid drives me knuts? I mean the buggars ONLY 14!!! :eek: but does he mention that wood leaves his lathe tryin to decapitate him and his missus (girlfried dog cat mom dad whoever!!) does he mention that the timber wont stay bloody put on his chuck? NO HE FRIGGIN DOESNT!!! Just "oohh look what I turned today aint I shytehot!" :rolleyes: :p flamin ratbag *(^*))&%^(&$*%^#$&^%$ KIDS!! :mad: :D

Note here... just pullin yer leg young fella! ;)

Cheers!!

John Saxton
27th August 2006, 07:19 PM
They're good mob @ the Bunbury woodturners group Shane,they'll put you right and on the straight and narrow.
A lot of good folk have learn't their WT skills thru an agency such as this.

Be patient with the woodturning and practice, practice,practice doing those series of cuts and with the right tools along with it.
Take your chuck along and they'll show you what you can and cant do with it.

They meet at Cathedral Grammar School,Gelorup 7.00pm 1st & 3rd wednesday of each month.
Contact Tom Brixey (convener)on 9731 5261

cheers:)

Touchwood
27th August 2006, 10:10 PM
They're good mob @ the Bunbury woodturners group Shane,they'll put you right and on the straight and narrow.

I agree John Saxton .... but are THEY ready for WILD DINGO ... might have to sneek over the hill and take a peek that night!!!

JD:D

Wild Dingo
28th August 2006, 03:16 AM
Are they ready for me?? little innocent ol me?? :o Im flabbergasted! Im dispondent! :eek: Im... well... huuurrrrrrrrrumph! Im mortified! Of course theyre ready for me! ;) Heck Im an easy goin quiet as a church mouse kinda fella I am :cool:

Thanks John will see you there eh mate! :cool: Just gotta get past this next weeks doc stuff and then the op and then hopefully this bung shanks's pony of mine will enable me to go there and annoy... eeerr browbeat... damn! enjoy their company! :p and pick their brains to bits! :cool:

So I take the chuck with me eh? :cool: should I take me chisels too? so I can do somethin important like... you know turn something!... nah bedda not theyd be rather disgusted with me at the first meeting for having such blunt chisels eh? :eek: :o... and what about the lathe? do I need to lug that along as well mate?... well they could maybe wanna see it eh? ;)

Woodster
28th August 2006, 07:33 AM
I would take ur chisels or ur bits of steel with you so that you can be put on the right track in how to sharpen them. It still takes some practise but at least you will have the right idea. And suck their brains for all ur worth, most wood clubs are only to happy to help out new, untried, dopey, cantankerous woodturners to be:p :p . Good luck and happy turning. there will be many things to learn:) :) :)

arose62
28th August 2006, 06:48 PM
Dingo,

did you have a SHOULDER on the piece of wood ???? It wasn't a smooth cylinder from end to end?

If you grab a cylinder in the jaws, it can wiggle free. The instructions say you should have a shoulder on the workpiece, with the jaws butted firmly against the shoulder, and grasping the tenon.

A few other posts have sorta mentioned this in passing, but I'm wondering if you picked up on it.

Also, the closer the diameter of the tenon is to the diameter of the jaws when neeearly closed, the better, as more of the jaw is gripping. If there's a big difference, the jaws tend to only grab at two points each.

Cheers,
Andrew