PDA

View Full Version : woodworking DVD's (archived)

Beagle67
27th August 2006, 09:25 PM
Does anyone know where to get some upto date DVD's covering all aspects of woodworking ie: Table Saws Surface Planers etc etc
cheers
mick

Stuart
27th August 2006, 09:33 PM
www.taunton.com

http://www.taunton.com/finewoodworking/store/pages/dvd-video.asp

Wood Butcher
27th August 2006, 09:33 PM
Woodworking Videos by forum members (http://woodworkforums.com/showthread.php?t=35346)
and
Links to Ubeaut Forum's Woodworking Videos (http://woodworkforums.com/showthread.php?t=35496)
;)

Beagle67
27th August 2006, 09:39 PM
thanks stuart some great Dvd.s ie Frank Klauss cheers mate

Tonyz
27th August 2006, 10:25 PM
out here we dont have quality internet ....'broadband'... thats the neighbours (3k down the road) wifes rear end ! So are these videos that are being created by members available on either video or DVD for purchase cheers Tony

gpsmith
28th August 2006, 07:37 PM
Beagle,
As mentioned already those sources are good, as is a public library - ours in Melbourne are building up quite a few from the Taunton collection. Also there is quite a good series that is put out by Jet - I have the one on the table saw which is good and is not just for Jet table saws.
You would have to contact Gregory's or some other Jet dealer in your state but I am sure that they would have them or get them.

cheers,

Gumby
28th August 2006, 07:42 PM
out here we dont have quality internet ....'broadband'... thats the neighbours (3k down the road) wifes rear end ! So are these videos that are being created by members available on either video or DVD for purchase cheers Tony

They aren't going to be for sale. That wasn't the intention when I started them. I think if we set up a system where we send a copy out to a forum member on the condition that they in turn make a copy and send it to someone else. We could start up a list of people who want one and go from there, just like the bandsaw DVD which has been all over the country. Except this one is ours and freely available for copying.

Tonyz
28th August 2006, 08:25 PM
Gumby count me in Video or DVD coping we can do. Where is the bandsaw DVD love to get a lend of it please, pretty please, pretty please dressed in red leather !

Tony

Stuart
28th August 2006, 08:44 PM
When the disk is made, need to ensure the various Codecs used are included - save those on dial up downloading them!

Gumby
28th August 2006, 09:05 PM
Gumby count me in Video or DVD coping we can do. Where is the bandsaw DVD love to get a lend of it please, pretty please, pretty please dressed in red leather !

Tony

If you wait a few days, I have the Gifkins Jig dovetailing video done. It's just waiting on the OK from Roger Gifkins before I put it up. It could go on the CD as well.

I think CD version is preferable, as not everybody will have a DVD player in their computer. Even if it runs to 2 CD's, it's better that way. Each holds about 650MB and given that the vids are about 100MB each, they should be fine.

Good idea about the codec Stu, will put that in as well.

The forum copy of the bandsaw DVD seems to be lost. But here's the link to the thread:
http://www.woodworkforums.ubeaut.com.au/showthread.php?p=360906#post360906

Lignum
28th August 2006, 09:20 PM
The forum vids are great:D

Wood Butcher
28th August 2006, 09:31 PM
Gumby, I just burnt the vids for one of the toowoomba members and it took 3 cds to fit all of the videos to date!

Gumby
28th August 2006, 09:43 PM
Gumby, I just burnt the vids for one of the toowoomba members and it took 3 cds to fit all of the videos to date!
Oh well, 2, 3 4 who's counting. ;)

HappyHammer
29th August 2006, 01:59 PM
If you guys can tell me who has been sent the CDs I'll PM them and ask them to send a copy on to me I would then be happy to pass the favour on to the next person, anyone want to be the next person? :D

HH.

thetassiebfg
29th August 2006, 02:30 PM
Hi Happy Hammer

If you strike gold I would love to be the next person and am more than happy to keep the chain going if their is anyone else out there who would like to jump on the bandwagon..

If this is being done I assume there is something on each video attributing where it comes from, copy write issues, forum details etc..

Andrew

Gumby
29th August 2006, 03:50 PM
The 'official' copy hasn't been done yet. As I said in earlier posts, I'm waiting for the OK on the Gifkins jig video and then I'm happy to start the ball rolling. I'd have to check my PM's but I think I promised Tonto the first one. It can easily be passed around from there.

If somebody wants to start another one up from somewhere else, that's fine too.

thetassiebfg
29th August 2006, 09:13 PM
The 'official' copy hasn't been done yet....
Thats quite all right Gumby and am sure it has been taken into account.. I think we just liked the idea you made

They aren't going to be for sale. That wasn't the intention when I started them. I think if we set up a system where we send a copy out to a forum member on the condition that they in turn make a copy and send it to someone else. We could start up a list of people who want one and go from there, just like the bandsaw DVD which has been all over the country. Except this one is ours and freely available for copying.
also the comment about having them on CD so they would work on Computers without a DVD drive is a good one as well

not to mention the fact that I am sure none of us want this to be a difinitive collection and consequently know that whatever we get when this batch is ready there will be more and if we are really lucky we might be able to do the same again..

Wood Butcher
29th August 2006, 09:38 PM
I'm happy to compile a few CD's of the woodworking vids complete with codecs etc to send out to someone, but I'll wait till the Gifkins video by Gumby is done. Once that is done I'll start a new thread with the first copy going to Happy Hammer and then he can copy it and send it to the next person and so on.

Chris Parks
30th August 2006, 02:28 AM
I can burn these files to DVD with a menu system so they are viewable in a dvd player on the tv. I don't know how many dvd's it would come out to but if anyone wants them this way let me know. Once done they could be copied retaining all the formatting by anyone with a dvd copier in their 'puter.

HappyHammer
30th August 2006, 12:13 PM
I'm happy to compile a few CD's of the woodworking vids complete with codecs etc to send out to someone, but I'll wait till the Gifkins video by Gumby is done. Once that is done I'll start a new thread with the first copy going to Happy Hammer and then he can copy it and send it to the next person and so on.

Thanks Woodbutcher.

Tonto is sending to me and I am sending to thetassiebfg. Might be worth starting a second string to reduce waiting time.

HH.