PDA

View Full Version : ever try experimenting with your incra?

maltovich
28th August 2006, 12:50 PM
Hi and greetings from America. I was looking for an Incra forume and this is one of the few that popped up.

I was wondering if any of you have gone off the beaten path with your jigs, and tried some new bits and templates. I've seen some pictures of very nice joints made with woodrat hss dovetail bits that look very elegant, and closer (well not really, but nicer than most jigs) to hand made.

Any reason these joints couldn't be made with an Incra jig? I mean, you'd need a metric setup for those bits, and you'd need to create a custom template for the incra jig (should be pretty easy using a cad program to work out the details and print to scale). Depth of cut would still adjust how loose/tight the joint is.

Am I crazy, or could this work?

Cheers and thanks for your help.

Stuart
28th August 2006, 04:00 PM
No reason why it shouldn't work at all - that's all they have really done for their scales.

The metric thing may, or may not be a problem. If the bits are a metric size, then I guess you will need to convert the Incra to do metric positioning. If you use one that has the plastic rails, then metric ones are available, and the imperial ones can be swapped out with little drama. If you are running one of the LS systems, then you are pretty screwed (sic ;) )