PDA

View Full Version : Yet another router table cabinet

Barrie Restall
28th August 2006, 10:49 PM
I bought a router table from Timbecon and it came with a pretty wobbly support so I raided the scrap heap and made a traditional type router table cabinet, or at least as much of it as I could remember.

The table top lifts up although I need a stronger lid stay than the one I used (next trip to Bunnings), and the centre compartment is sealed and has a baffle at the back to provide a venturi for dust extraction. The centre compartment also allows access to adjust height of router (need a lifter of some sort!). The narrow spaces beside the centre compartment have vertical drawers to hold router bits, and a large draw at bottom holds other junk. The dust extraction ports are at the back.

Its nice and stable and much better than the Timbecon support system.

Regards

Barrie

Groggy
28th August 2006, 11:08 PM
Barrie, that's a great design. You'll find the tilting top a great back and knee saver (mine lifts too). The only question I have is the dust extraction may be a tad small, other than that, a great design and well made!

Wongo
28th August 2006, 11:36 PM
Wow that is awesome. It must be so pleasant to use.

Barrie Restall
28th August 2006, 11:49 PM
Thanks Groggy for the nice words. The dust extraction is for my old vacuum/cyclone system I used to use on Triton gear. It is too small for my current set up and on my wish list is a "proper" system (maybe Xmas?). Then I'll just bore a bigger hole in the back of the cabinet!

The vacuum/cyclone doesnt do a bad job but it is limited.

Thanks also Wonga, yeah it is great to use after the wobbly Timbecon thing.

Barrie

BobL
29th August 2006, 12:32 AM
Cool design Barry, solid yet it still looks kinda cute, a bit like a sewing cabinet. What's the wood on the outside of the middle door?

sea dragon
29th August 2006, 01:16 AM
All very neat, loks great.
Nice touch, the vertical side drawers for bits etc.
See the orange colour, too...or is that router from Timbecon?

NewLou
29th August 2006, 07:04 AM
Congratulations :)

This looks like a great router table N i'm sure you'll be happy with the results. Love the vertical draws and how you've set up you bits

practical n versatile........................great features to have in a router table!!!

WELL DONE!!!

REgards Lou:)

Barrie Restall
29th August 2006, 10:41 AM
Thanks for all the comments, its nice to get some feedback other than the wife's "Hmmmmm"!

The wood in the mid compartment door is a bit of ply with a silky oak veneer left over from a liquor cabinet I made for SWMBO. The rest is hoop pine and some pine shelf offcuts for drawer fronts. I make a lot of mistakes so I have a pretty useful scrap heap! Its finished with Organoil and Barrie's secret possum pee/moose fat finishing wax.

Yes its a Triton router, does a good job, no complaints. Please dont mention sewing cabinet to the missus or that will be added to the ever growing list of things wanted.

Barrie

Vasco
29th August 2006, 09:42 PM
Great job Barrie. The router table looks like it has some weight to it which should make it nice and stedy when using it. My home made table is servicable however I plan on building one like you have one day.
How long did it take to build?
Job well done.

Regards
Vasco

Bodgy
29th August 2006, 10:25 PM
That looks good, I particularly like the bit storage in the sliding doors

Barrie Restall
29th August 2006, 10:48 PM
Hi Vasco,

I suppose it took about 3 days total time, actual time a bit longer due to attending to matters brought up by SWMBO. It is nice and solid and doesnt need any ballast; I saw one design with a weight box in the bottom but I have just been using mine all day rabbeting and it didnt move an inch. And it is on teflon sliders so I can move it easily.

I'm pretty happy with how it performs, just had to tamper a bit with the seals on the inner cabinet, and I need a stronger lid stay.

Good luck with your project, I am sure you will be happy with a solid cabinet for the table.

Regards,

Barrie

JMB
29th August 2006, 10:59 PM
Sad your wife not appreciative enough of your great router cabinet. Doesn't she even like the drawers for router bits?

Not all women lack respect for the wonders of a well made and great functioning router table. :o

inferno6688
30th August 2006, 09:31 AM
That looks great! i like the idea for storing router bits! :)

Bob38S
30th August 2006, 10:46 AM
Nice 1
Just like you can't have too many clamps - you can't have too much storage.
Bob