PDA

View Full Version : Compound mitre saw blade adrift

jaspr
30th August 2006, 12:12 AM
A scary thing happened the other day ...

Was doing some rough crosscutting of some sticks for the slow combustion stove I have in the workshop -

the blade sort of dug into the (wet) wood and stopped -

silly me I backed it out and tried again

this time an unholy shriek and a severe wobble

look closely and noticed the blade is jumping around a fair bit

had the presence of mind not to lift it up (still gives me the shivers) until the motor and blade had stopped. Jumping blade was safely contained by the blade cover.

the lock nut on the blade had come undone

Lesson is, I guess, check all nuts (especially arbor nuts) on machines occasionally. This was (is) a very nice Makita CMS that has given good service for a while now.

BobL
30th August 2006, 10:48 AM
Jaspr,

Sounds similar to what happened to me on my TS.

See http://www.woodworkforums.ubeaut.com.au/showpost.php?p=337093&postcount=7

Skew ChiDAMN!!
30th August 2006, 04:46 PM
Just a matter of curiosity, but does your SCMS have electronic or shaft braking?

I had a similar problem with a Ryobi (with e-brakes), but the opposite problem with the el cheapo GMC. That beasty over-tightens the arbour and is a right PITA to swap blades over! :rolleyes:

I guess there's some safety benefits to a saw that just freewheels to an idle...

elphingirl
30th August 2006, 08:27 PM
Good to know we are not the only people who get the SCMS out to make kindling!

Last year I wasn't holding a piece of timber against the fence properly, the blade picked it up, spun it around and managed to BEND the blade itself (and cut a nice groove through the guide bit - a good reminder to be careful)

Cheers