PDA

View Full Version : IAM new to the forum

jow104
1st January 1970, 11:00 AM
Another welcome,

How about making leather gloves and then a former to place inside the gloves to keep them in shape. A Victorian idea ??????

kangaroo
31st August 2006, 01:14 AM
My father has retired and has been working with turning wood and making beautifull things ever since and it has prolonged his life to no end thank god.The reason i am know a member of the forum is to not only injoy and intrest with my father but also to apply my art of leather work into the wood work .Iam in business for myself in the leather industry and i wish to be able to combine the two together my father said thats a great idea but i would love the advice of this forum in regards to working the both together in furniture etc :)

echnidna
31st August 2006, 09:27 AM
Welcome to the madhouse Roo.

Show us some pics of your combination leather and wood work and also of your dad's work too.

Tex B
31st August 2006, 10:45 AM
How about a leather topped desk? Always wanted one of those.

Tex

HappyHammer
31st August 2006, 10:48 AM

Tex

Me too. Welcome Roo.:D

HH.

Bob38S
31st August 2006, 11:14 AM
G'day Roo and welcome.

I once saw a set of Spanish chairs where the seat and back were solid tooled hide [from memory the thickness was about 6mm]
Beeeeewdyful.
Thought about it off and on over the years Hmmmmmmmmmm - might need to go there again.
Bob

HappyHammer
31st August 2006, 11:25 AM
Might want to consider a nice captains chair to go with that leather topped desk.

HH.

bennylaird
31st August 2006, 11:28 AM
Any grandkids about? Could always do a rocking horse.

floobyduster
31st August 2006, 11:31 AM
Welcome aboard - I hope you enjoy the trip :)

How about coffee tables, ottomans, chairs, bed heads, bedside tables, bar stools, rocking chair, rocking horse.

I hope that's what you're after.

Don't forget to post some pics of what you get into.

Bodgy
31st August 2006, 11:41 AM
I'd go with Hammer re the leather upholstered Captains chair. Before I built mine I googed the designs, and without exception all the nice looking ones were not only expensive but leather upholstered.

If you can knock up chisel rolls for a decent price then they're always popular.

Leather topped desks, as said, very exxy.

If you're looking at the top of the market suggest you use roo hide.

Ivan in Oz
31st August 2006, 11:47 AM
If you can knock up chisel rolls for a decent price then they're always popular.

Roo,
Welcome aboard.
Bodgy,
Knife Rolls for those of us who like to 'Play' in the Kitchen;)
Make sure there is room for a good STEEL.

Bleedin Thumb
31st August 2006, 11:49 AM
Salutations Roo,
Could you whip me up a Cat O Nine Tails?

AlexS
31st August 2006, 02:26 PM
Nice boxes lined with real leather, writing slopes with leather pads, chairs etc. are all popular and look pretty good. If you can make quality rocking horse harness & saddles they will sell well.

jow104
31st August 2006, 06:37 PM
HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

How come that first reply has gone to the top of the thread???????????????????????

and dated January 1970?

Bleedin Thumb
31st August 2006, 06:45 PM
HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

How come that first reply has gone to the top of the thread???????????????????????

and dated January 1970?
Something to do with a time space vortex would be my guess.:eek:

AlexS
31st August 2006, 06:49 PM
HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

and dated January 1970?
It slipped through the rip in the fabric of the universe.:D

Skew ChiDAMN!!
31st August 2006, 07:25 PM
April Fool!

(What? August??! Back to the TARDIS everyone! That's the last time I get it serviced at SupaCheap!)

Auld Bassoon
31st August 2006, 07:34 PM
HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

and dated January 1970?

I saw that John, and wondered HTH did that happen? The Internet and most of the underlying protocols, etc hadn't even been thought of back then :confused:

Methinks the US server must have had a conniption fit - or maybe CNN's resident blooper anchor-lady got at it :D (see http://www.theaustralian.news.com.au/story/0,20867,20312713-2703,00.html)

Auld Bassoon
31st August 2006, 07:37 PM
April Fool!

(What? August??! Back to the TARDIS everyone! That's the last time I get it serviced at SupaCheap!)

Nah Skew, it was the reverse neutron polariser rinsotron that you bought from C****-Heck, and made in PRC that caused the problem :D

Harry72
31st August 2006, 09:12 PM
Ok who's been playin with the Doc's Sonic Screwdriver?

Clinton1
31st August 2006, 09:37 PM
g'day Roo - I'll second the writing slope idea... Dad does the box and you do the gilded leather insert.
A good project.

kangaroo
1st September 2006, 07:17 PM
Welcome to the madhouse Roo.

Show us some pics of your combination leather and wood work and also of your dad's work too.I work out of Sydney and Brisbane in Sydney i have been buying old cupboards and trying to line in the inside of them in leather i have a sander plains and drills .My dad has all of the woodworking tools were he lives just outside Brisbane so when i am their at the end of next weeks i will post some pictures.Dad goes to wood work class in Brisbane every Tuesday and when i tranfer all of my company to QLD only i will attend the Tuesday class with my dad. In fact i am scard to say i think my dad is a part of this forum.The reason i say that i would like to learn as much as i can without his help so i fit in stright away with him or as much as possible.I have a great business in the leather industry and it has good profit margin with me relocating my business just to QLD WILL SAVE ON TIME AWAY FROM HOME

kangaroo
1st September 2006, 07:20 PM
Salutations Roo,
Could you whip me up a Cat O Nine Tails?Out of leather i can make anything

kangaroo
1st September 2006, 07:22 PM
Another welcome,

How about making leather gloves and then a former to place inside the gloves to keep them in shape. A Victorian idea ??????I make leather gloves for the falcon assocation and shooting clubs belts for the police forice etc.

kangaroo
1st September 2006, 07:31 PM

TexIn my trade i buy crust leather spray it my self and send it to clients who have hand made shoes made handbags boots lounges etc i also respay leather for clients to new lounges shoes marine leather saddlery etcBut as i said i wish to be able to apply it more to wood because i see a piece my father gets and turn it in to a beautiful item and i think with my leather i can inhance the look but i need to know what i am talking about first were in comes to wood and which items would be complemented with my leather

kangaroo
1st September 2006, 09:02 PM
Welcome aboard - I hope you enjoy the trip :)

How about coffee tables, ottomans, chairs, bed heads, bedside tables, bar stools, rocking chair, rocking horse.

I hope that's what you're after.

Don't forget to post some pics of what you get into.here are some pictures of what i do in leather and next week i will be able to send some wood work pictures when i am in Brisban

kangaroo
1st September 2006, 11:41 PM
I hope i can send some images i am trying this is of my work and what i have to work with

kangaroo
2nd September 2006, 12:04 AM
As you can see thats the leather i use i spray it all myself from crust i also have hides from the UK .This is what i also use for my covering of wood items.So now you have had a look can i have some ideas about if the sort of leather i use is right in wood working .

Lignum
2nd September 2006, 12:08 AM
What about a nice leather coat for my little Domino;)

forunna
2nd September 2006, 12:30 AM
bar stools, foot stools, coffee tables, side baord, how about a card table?
how about one of those portable artists box thingys where they carry all their stuff inside then the top becomes a surface to draw on.

jow104
2nd September 2006, 01:31 AM
kangaroo,
I notice your singer sewing machine, the Mr. Singer when alive lived around 400 yds. from our property in the UK, in fact our property was built at a later date on grounds of his estate.
Do you use the machine for your leather work?

kangaroo
2nd September 2006, 05:49 PM
kangaroo,
I notice your singer sewing machine, the Mr. Singer when alive lived around 400 yds. from our property in the UK, in fact our property was built at a later date on grounds of his estate.
Do you use the machine for your leather work?I found the singer at the salvo like the old furniture it cost me 40 dollars Australian the motor was perfect but it was missing the main foot all bobins the gear had to be alltered because when you sew the needles would break.But it workers first class and i sew all of my leather on it in the picture the leather items made on top of the singer were made by me on that machine.My wife has a new brother industral strenth sewing machine but she always uses mine mainily if she is making jeans for the grandchildren.With the singer it just glides across the leather like a knife throw butter.When i peg the leather onto wood i use glue if it a flat surface such as lining of a cupboard but other wise i tack the leather on by compresed air staple gun. Any other ideas

kangaroo
3rd September 2006, 07:29 PM
Thank you for your advice

kangaroo
3rd September 2006, 07:34 PM
I Am Hard Up Having Anytime For Me So A Space Vortex In The True Sence Would Be Good Please Build It For ME

kangaroo
3rd September 2006, 07:49 PM
I Found This Lot Any Advice The Best Way To Build Them

kangaroo
10th September 2006, 01:28 PM
I would like to thank everybody for their kind welcome to me .I realize lies can be told to corupt a person mind about a person and when mud is thrown some sticks.Anyway i am of to Brisbane permantily and i hope to regoin the forum when settled