PDA

View Full Version : Acoustic Neck dovetail jig

kiwigeo
31st August 2006, 03:23 PM
Okay heres the end product of 3 days of slaving in the workshop. I got sick of fiddling around getting necks mounted correctly in the jig carrying the Stewmac dovetail templates so decided to make up a jig to hold the neck. The idea came from an article in the LMI catalogue/handbook but I think its originally a Charles Fox design.

The neck is aligned in the tilting cradle by three studs that fit into the truss rod channel. The cradle pops out to allow the guitar body to go into the jig for cutting of the dovetail mortise.

Fluddman
31st August 2006, 09:26 PM
Looks like great fun. How many accoustics have you made? What level of workworking skill would you need to make a quality guitar? I've been playing for years but never have got around to making my own. I imagine playing something u made yourself would be agreat thrill. Keep the pictures coming. Cheers.

Phil Mailloux
1st September 2006, 12:29 AM
I don't know where the jig originated but it's in the Benedetto book.

Playing something you made is the greatest thrill of it all. It's even better when you show it off to your muso mates :D
You don't need to be the best woodworker in the world to build your own guitar. What you need is to read as much as you can on the subject and do your research right. Visit as many builder's websites as you can and read tutorials, progress threads on guitar building forums ect... Try it, you'll love it and you only get better as you build more.