PDA

View Full Version : Best Glue

Andraax
31st August 2006, 03:59 PM
What Glue are people using?

I am the 'super glue' what ever its called, but seam to be getting a lot of breakages when I turn.

DJ’s Timber
31st August 2006, 04:21 PM
I use Hot Stuff thick super glue and rough the pen tube up with sandpaper before glueing

ss_11000
31st August 2006, 04:22 PM
CA is the best hands down. i havent used CA for very long but i love the stuff. way better than cheapy glue.

second best i have found is locktite

Tassie Boy
31st August 2006, 07:25 PM
I used to use CA glue but then i had a few breakages..
Then after SkewchiDAHM insisted two part epoxy was better. i switched to that and havent had a problem..Thanks Skew..

Skewpid
31st August 2006, 08:53 PM
For a normal bond, I use a flour, sugar n water mix. If you want something thats real strong ... Perkins Paste ya just cant beat.

Or, if ya cant get hold of that stuff, I use Exterior grade Sellys PVA for laminating with a hefty clamp, and the CA for gluing in tubes. Never had anything de-laminate .. and after the August pen swap . . approx 200 small pieces stuck together spinnin 2000 rpm and none went a flying . . . cant be all that bad.

Rich.

Ps .. first parragraph was a joke. Just in case :eek:

pps . .. this is what we are talking about when we say CA (http://www.cws.au.com/cgi/index.cgi/shopfront/view_product_details?category_id=1107144880&product_id=1107369622). .

bdar
31st August 2006, 10:30 PM
Andraax first I rough the tubes up with some coarse sand paper, that will create a key for the glue. After I drill a blank I coat the inside of the drilled hole with thin CA leave it for a minute or so the use some accellerator to dry it. If there are any cracks formed from heat of the drilling process the thin CA should fill any internal defects. I then clean the drilled hole with the drill and then I use thick CA to glue the tubes. I use this method I also use 2 part Rapid Cure mainly for acrylics, antler and buffallo horn, but still line the drilled holes with CA in the antler and horn. I have never had a pen fail using this method. As Skew and would probably agree, the choice of what glue and how to finish a pen is like politics and religion. My method isn't gospel, it is the one I prefer to use and if people try it and have success that is great. If someone else has a different method that works for them, understand that and respect their reasons to why they do thing there way. You will try different methods and you will find one that suits you and why you like it. If you want to ask anything you can pm or email me anytime. Good luck with the most addictive craft.
Darren

Skew ChiDAMN!!
31st August 2006, 10:35 PM
I used to use CA glue but then i had a few breakages..
Then after SkewchiDAHM insisted two part epoxy was better. i switched to that and havent had a problem..Thanks Skew..

I wouldn't say I "insisted"... I prefer to call it "strongly suggested." ;):D

And you're very welcome.

I definitely agree with bdar about glues & finishes for pens: they're very much like politics & religion. The trick is finding which works for you.

tashammer
2nd September 2006, 02:44 AM
ah, that's what the Merikuns mean when they say "yellow glue" rather than "white glue" (PVA).

Ta for that :-) Another hole filled in my colander of knowledge.

lubbing5cherubs
2nd September 2006, 09:52 AM
Hey Skewpid, You know how you said you use a big hefty clamp. I been doing all mine using that exteriour PVA glue like you. but I have found a brillinant cheap clamp that been working wonders for me. I do not yet own any so I did some experiments and I found Rubber bands are great for the glue up and if they get glued in. Don't worry they are easy turned off or cut with bandsaw so I love them.
HTH helps someone else. I enjoy the rubber band I can have glue up at all different stages without having to take the clamp off another
bye