PDA

View Full Version : A trio of Jewellry boxes.

Graham99
31st August 2006, 04:08 PM
Hi there,

I have been building the workshop up and am getting to the point where I want to use all the shiny toys to make dust rather than gather it. So I have a plan for Xmas Day, and that is the manufacture of three Jewellry Boxes. But I'm a bit stumped for ideas, hence the post.

I want to give them something that will be with them for years. The two youngest girls are 9yrs and 10yrs old. They are also poles apart, the 10yr old will look after something she gets, the 9yr old is not destructive, just a bit carefree. The third Jewellry box is for my fiancee and this one will be done last.

For the two girls I envisage a box with a lift out partitioned tray lined in blue felt, mirror inside the lid, and maybe a simple mortise lock. For my fiancee I would like to build something similar to the box featured on the front cover of the Australian Woodsmith.

I have two main questions. Firstly, does anybody know of any plans for a Jewellry box that would suit the younger girls. Secondly, which timbers would be nice to use, and where would I source them in Western Sydney.

Regards
Graham

DPB
31st August 2006, 06:06 PM
Graham, I have purchased a number of books on box making that are very inspirational, and have rough plans (really more suggestions than plans). These are readily available here.

The Art of Making Small Wood Boxes by Tony Lydgate [ISBN 0-8069-9576-9]
The Art of Making Elegant Jewelry Boxes by Tony Lydgate [ISBN 0-8069-4287-8]
The Art of Making Elegant Wood Boxes by Tony Lydgate [ISBN 0-8069 8838-X]
Taunton's COMPLETE ILLUSTRATED GUIDE TO: Box Making by Doug Stowe [ISBN 1-56158-593-9]
Many of the boxes I show here, http://tinyurl.com/ke5lf (http://tinyurl.com/ke5lf), are my interpretations of boxes from these publications.

I can't help you with sourcing timber in Sydney.:)

Sculptured Box
31st August 2006, 06:37 PM
Graham (99)

So far as purchasing fine timbers in Sydney Metro area there is Trend Timbers at Mulgrave, Matthews at St. Marys, and 1 or 2 others which I can't bring to mind at this time.

If you have a bandsaw why not think about making three bandsaw boxes, it is possible to line the interior of the drawers with flocking. f.y.i. have a look at my website www.tonyward.org (http://www.tonyward.org).

AlexS
31st August 2006, 07:02 PM
DPB's suggestions re books are pretty good.
Trend have some nice timbers, you could also have a look at Mathews Timber in Christie St. St. Marys.

Effigy
31st August 2006, 07:12 PM
Tony,

I've just checked out your link and have downloaded the free plans - Thanks!
I've wanted to have a go at a bandsaw box, but never really knew where to start:D

jow104
31st August 2006, 07:15 PM
Graham99,

Now that Alexs has replied, I would suggest you send the gentleman an invation to visit your workshop and bring his cd collection of Jewellery boxes, I made a couple of boxes from Alexs's designs after a visit to his workshop.

Graham99
31st August 2006, 07:45 PM
Hi there,

Unfortunatelty I do not yet own a bandsaw, and I know that if I have a 'moment' and rush down to bunnies to get one it will end in tears. That's the main reason I will be going for the fabricated box rather than bandsawn box. However I will definately be planning to make one in the future.

I've been thinking of something with finger jointed corners as I like the look of them and it exudes quality more than a butt or mitred butt joint IMHO.

Thanks for the wonderful suggestions so far, you guys are great.

Regards
Graham

RufflyRustic
1st September 2006, 10:18 AM
Hi Graham,

The world of box making is one I find immensely pleasurable and challenging. I find that you can gain inspiration from just about anywhere.

My favourite sources are:
This forum :)
The Library, Newsagents & Bookstores - books, magazines, plans,
Search the internet for pictures of boxes and plans

One of my favourite books - The Book of 400 Boxes. Well worth investing in (~$40) as I find something new everytime I browse through it.

Cheers
Wendy

AlexS
1st September 2006, 11:33 AM
One of my favourite books - The Book of 400 Boxes. Well worth investing in (~$40) as I find something new everytime I browse through it.

Cheers
Wendy
yep, should have mentioned that one (but I thought it would have cost a lot more than that). Daughter bought it for me for my birthday, and it's certainly one of the best.

jow104
1st September 2006, 05:54 PM
Do coffins qualify as Boxes?????????

AlexS
1st September 2006, 06:46 PM
Yep!

Graham99
14th September 2006, 07:28 PM
Hi there,

I have purchased some of those books that are listed above and I am going to have a look at Matthews Timbers at St Marys on Saturday (If they are open) I'm getting closer to starting on the project.

Regards
Graham

jow104
14th September 2006, 08:15 PM
Hi there,

I have purchased some of those books that are listed above and I am going to have a look at Matthews Timbers at St Marys on Saturday (If they are open) I'm getting closer to starting on the project.

Regards
Graham

And we look forward to seeing the pics.