PDA

View Full Version : Final Chapter in the H/made Domis

Flowboy
31st August 2006, 06:56 PM
Hi all,

After such interest in the insividualised Domis and Steve's question regading glue irrigation, here's a pic of the edge of a 32x10 domino blank, with several grooves cut in it. Its not a great picture I know but I was playing with the set up. This was done using a V groove bit on the Dremel table. A little bit of depth setting will see it more pronounced.

Regards,

Rob

Auld Bassoon
31st August 2006, 08:10 PM
G'day Rob,

Yesterday late afternoon I had an opportunity (!) to make a pair of blackwood Dominos. Why - because a dumb Bassoon had set the good lady :eek: to place the mortices offset from centre on the legs of a project that I'm working on, but made the cut from the wrong side :(
Duh!

To make a camouflaged insert I used a round over router bit then a file to get a good fit on a piece of scrap. This worked very well, but is hardly practical for production runs.

For more practical uses, I'm still interested in getting hold of some of the various Domi sizes in, principally: blackwood, redgum, jarrah and some mahogany would be nice too!

Flowboy
1st September 2006, 07:30 AM
Hi Mr African Blackwood woodwind instrument (reed what you will into that):D ,

I actually have a fairly fast, very accurate means for rectifying such creative woodwork experiments.
But to the dominos. I guess I wanted to be able to match particular lots of stock to each project, so anticipated that cutting the dominos would be part of the workup prior to construction. Takes time, but is built in to the cost.
That being said, how many of each would you need as stock? Would Sapele substitute for Mahogany, given the latter is now very hard to get, at the very least, or would African, or (horror) Fijian:eek: :eek: do?

Regards,

Rob