PDA

View Full Version : Models in wood

colbra
31st August 2006, 10:35 PM
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hi everyone
I was wondering if there is any one out there thats has had a go at building any of the wood models on the site Toys and joys www.toysandjoys.com if so I would like to get some feed back on what they think about it.
Regards Colbra
Attached Thumbnails

Squirrel
31st August 2006, 11:36 PM
Hi Colbra,

You ask about models in wood, I love them. I have most of the plans but only made a few. I made this prime mover in the photos. I have previously made this truck with a tanker attached. Sold it for a $1000 which paid for my compressor. The mob that bought it auctioned it off for charity. Also made this truck with a tipper on the back, gave this away. Ihave a early 1900's fire truck and a near complete road grater (24 month project). Can post photos of this as well if you like. All the material is recycled from building sites.

Squirrel...

colbra
1st September 2006, 05:47 PM
Hi Squirrel,
I also have quite a few of the plans, but unlike yourself have not gotten around to building any yet. I have all the necessary tools to complete the models but time beats me at the moment. I plan to start on one soon, I have a couple of tugs which I scratch built is there any special techniques involved in building these wooden models other than heaps of time and patience the trucks looks great well done top job

regards colbra

Squirrel
1st September 2006, 10:10 PM
No, no special techniques used, just followed the plans supplied. I'm also like you not having much time to complete them, that why the grater isn't finished yet. The best tool I bought for these models was my drum sander, with this I can sand small pieces of timber to the right thickness. When I initially started I was very addicted, would stay out in the workshop until 1 and 2 in the morning.

Squirrel

forunna
2nd September 2006, 01:10 AM
Hi Colbra,

Ihave a early 1900's fire truck ..... Can post photos of this as well if you like. All the material is recycled from building sites.

Squirrel...

oo, squirrel, Id like to see your firetruck. please.

colbra
2nd September 2006, 11:57 AM
Hi Squirrel
I have a plane of a 1933 engine is that what you have. There seems to be a lot work put into the wheels. I know that i can get them overseas but i would like to have ago at making them myself, have you made any wheels with spokes in them. I have a couple of ideas but not put into practice yet if you have some other models i would like to see pics.
regards Colbra

zenwood
2nd September 2006, 01:26 PM
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hi everyone
I was wondering if there is any one out there thats has had a go at building any of the wood models on the site Toys and joys www.toysandjoys.com (http://www.toysandjoys.com) if so I would like to get some feed back on what they think about it.
Regards Colbra
Attached Thumbnails
Those models look like little gems. The detailing is superb.

Squirrel
2nd September 2006, 09:19 PM
Hi Squirrel
I have a plane of a 1933 engine is that what you have. There seems to be a lot work put into the wheels. I have a couple of ideas but not put into practice yet if you have some other models i would like to see pics.

Colbra,

More likely the same plans, mine state a 1930 "Antique buffalo Model Fire Truck" Pictures attached.
By memory the wheels weren't much troubles, I think I just cut a the hole then cut and sanded the diameter of the hubs and drilled the spoke holes nothing real tricky. Would suggest not purchasing pre-fab wheel it adds to the accomplishment at the end knowing you did it all yourself.

Squirrel

dazzler
2nd September 2006, 09:28 PM
Unbelievable work :D

Squirrel
2nd September 2006, 09:29 PM
Hi Squirrel
if you have some other models i would like to see pics.
regards Colbra

This is my Road Grader (WIP), this has been the most challanging. For your info Calbra most of these models have a lot of moving parts. In this model for instance, the doors are hinged, the wheel turn (rotate and steer) the blade rotates, rises and falls the hydrolics work.

Squirrel

MICKYG
3rd September 2006, 10:47 AM
Great "R" model and great Cat Grader

Very nice work Squirrell

Regards Mike;) ;) ;)

forunna
9th September 2006, 12:58 AM
wow, nice work squirrel. love the firetruck.

colbra
9th September 2006, 11:13 PM
Squirrel you have inspired me to work late into the night top job. I will post pictures of my efforts when I get finished. Could be a couple of months away yet
Mike I see your from Glenn my wife lived at Red Range when she was little, left when she was sixteen she is 62 yrs, now we still go there every couple of years her mum lived there until she passed away a couple of years ago

Regards Col :)

Wood Butcher
10th September 2006, 08:45 AM
That is some fantastic work. I must admit that I don't think I have the patience for that finer a work, but I would love to build something like what is in the following link. I would be to late for my kids now but give a decade or two and I can make it for the grandkids:D
http://www.gizmology.net/tanks.htm

brucensal
26th August 2008, 01:32 PM
Hi Squirrel,

Just been doing some searches and noticed you post. WOW.!!!!! that grader looks amazing, I would love to be able to build something like that for my kids. What tools are required I am slowly building up my arsenal with b'day and father's day etc, recently got an early father's day present a thicknesser. How difficult are these toys to build, they look amazing after seeing your grader I wanna go home from work right now get a plan and start building.

Thanks
Bruce

munruben
29th August 2008, 12:09 AM
This thread is 2 years old so you may not get much response to your question.

DJ’s Timber
29th August 2008, 12:19 AM
Squirrel was last on a couple of nights ago, so there's a good chance he'll see this, if not send him a PM (http://www.woodworkforums.com/private.php?do=newpm&u=10082) asking him if he could provide more info.

AUSSIE
21st July 2009, 08:06 AM
Thanks for bring this up guys Great stuff:2tsup:

wheelinround
21st July 2009, 09:33 AM
Squirrel your going to be a busy boy when you get those mag's lots of plans for truck's car's and more :2tsup: might spark you up and then you can teach me :roll: