PDA

View Full Version : Proserpine Turnout 2006

Cliff Rogers
31st August 2006, 11:54 PM
Just in case you missed it in the other thread.

Details here.

My rego is in the mail. ;)

http://www.proserpinewoodturners.com/Order_Form.html

<!-- / message --><!-- sig -->

DanP
1st September 2006, 12:00 AM
First sensible thing you've said all night. :rolleyes:

Cliff Rogers
1st September 2006, 12:04 AM
Rubbish..... I said it twice & this is the 2nd time. ;) :D

I did post some other serious posts too. :rolleyes:

lubbing5cherubs
1st September 2006, 10:03 AM
That would be so cool.
Seriously considering the trip..gonna talk to hubby tonight

Old Croc
1st September 2006, 10:23 PM
Toni, if he wont come just come yourself and you can see Cliffy and his lathe thats 2 metres off the ground.
Also if you come in do you have acess to any real Dead Finish, the purple stuff, as I am interested in some
Regards Crocy:D

lubbing5cherubs
1st September 2006, 11:55 PM
Toni, if he wont come just come yourself and you can see Cliffy and his lathe thats 2 metres off the ground.
Also if you come in do you have acess to any real Dead Finish, the purple stuff, as I am interested in some
Regards Crocy:D

HI Crocy
As for him coming I doubt if he would but you see he is the minister of funds. HE the man you got to suck up to when you want to do these kind of things. Plus mum to look after some kids.
What is real dead finish, the purple stuff? I am just learning these lingos can you explain to a dense blond here...LOL
Sorry if I missed a joke here
bye
TOni:o :)

Toasty
2nd September 2006, 10:30 AM
Sounds like great fun, but 2,000kms one way is a bit of a stretch for me *sigh*

Cliff Rogers
2nd September 2006, 11:07 AM
I'm not sure who Old Croc is but I have an idea. :rolleyes:
He used to go under a different name on this forum a while back. ;)

Anyway, the joke is because I like to have my lathe higher than most 'cos it is easier on my back & easier to see what I'm doing.
Most people find my lathe is too high for them and even though I cut 4" off the bottom of it 3 or 4 years ago 'cos the stand wouldn't fit in the back of my ute, I still cop heaps for it. :cool:

The real Dead Finish comes form out west & has very nice colours in it.
I'm not sure if there is much near Winton, there is heaps west of Longreach where my parents still have a property. It grows in scrubby areas in the red sandy soil, not on the black grassy (what's that?) plains.
Some of it has a pink to purple coulour in the dark heartwood.

Baz
2nd September 2006, 05:31 PM
Unfortunately Dead Finish will turn brown after a while.
Cheers
Barry

lubbing5cherubs
6th September 2006, 03:51 PM
dead finish is that what they call the tree?
Toni

TTIT
6th September 2006, 04:23 PM
dead finish is that what they call the tree?
Toni

Toni - there's some pics of Dead Finish I took on this link (http://aussiewoods.com/species/detail.asp?id=158). The tree got the name from the aboriginals who say that when a drought is really bad "if this tree die, this country, him dead, finish!" :) My favorite wood!!!

Cliff Rogers
25th October 2006, 11:33 PM
It is next week. Not long now. :)

Woodchuck2
30th October 2006, 03:14 PM
Around Mackay some oldies call 'dead finish' red lancewood or, if you want to be technical, archidendropsis basaltica. The last part of the name looks horribly like it might have come from a description of its hardness!
Cheers
Woodchuck

How much wood could a woodchuck chuck if a woodchuck could chuck wood?

Ironwood
30th October 2006, 08:43 PM
Around Mackay some oldies call 'dead finish' red lancewood or, if you want to be technical, archidendropsis basaltica. The last part of the name looks horribly like it might have come from a description of its hardness!
Cheers
Woodchuck

How much wood could a woodchuck chuck if a woodchuck could chuck wood?
Chas, does it grow in the Mackay area?

TTIT
31st October 2006, 09:48 AM
Chas, does it grow in the Mackay area?
The furthest East I've found it is Dysart (there's one right in town there!) and some small stuff around the Peak ranges - doesn't like rain too much. I doubt you'll find any closer to the coast than that Ironwood. Next time you're coming out this way just give us a yell - might be able to fix you up with some.

Ironwood
31st October 2006, 02:14 PM
The furthest East I've found it is Dysart (there's one right in town there!) and some small stuff around the Peak ranges - doesn't like rain too much. I doubt you'll find any closer to the coast than that Ironwood. Next time you're coming out this way just give us a yell - might be able to fix you up with some.

Thanks TTit. Might be able to do a trade with something I've got that you dont, who knows

Woodchuck2
3rd November 2006, 07:06 PM
Ironwood,
An old acquaintance of mine (rest his soul) worked for Nebo Shire Council for many years and got to know a lot of property owners in the area. After retirement in Mackay he was invited by certain owners to scrounge whatever turning timbers he could find laying about. His favourite was "dead finish' and he made some brilliant small turnings from this stuff,
Woodchuck

Cliff Rogers
6th November 2006, 11:21 PM
I lived through it.... :D
We all did... What a great bunch.
I'll get some photos up when I can.