PDA

View Full Version : some new homemade tools

ddeen
1st September 2006, 01:47 AM
Just got done making a few more tools and I thought I would share picture with all of you. Chip knife blade uses recycled millers falls plane blade. The Gouge and V parting tool are made from a recycled leaf spring. Heat treated the gouges/chip knife using tips from this forum:D . The brass screws of the stair saw are polished toilet seat holders - another good tip that I got from the web. I have also some cut A2 steel that I will be using to make some more motice chisels to complete my homemade set. Please feel free to comment/critique - I have thick skin.

Wild Dingo
1st September 2006, 02:58 AM
Just got done making a few more tools... Please feel free to comment/critique - I have thick skin.

Sorry theyre crap... Im an avid collector of crap... so in the interests of good forum etikit I will offer to take the said crap of your hands :D

Seriously? Damn find job! I do like that saw :cool:

Cheers
Shane

Wood Butcher
1st September 2006, 08:07 AM
Please feel free to comment/critique - I have thick skin.
No thick skin needed here. Phenomenal Work! but....

Where are the pictures to show how well they work??:D

RufflyRustic
1st September 2006, 09:33 AM
Hi Ddeen,

That's a stair saw??!! I've never seen one like that before. What's it like to use? Can/should it only be used for stairs? Do you find you tend to cut straighter cuts with it? Any more details on the the blade?? Yep, you've really gotten my interest with this post :D

Cheers
Wendy

Andy Mac
1st September 2006, 09:43 AM
Nice work ddeen! I like the timber you've used on the saw handle, is it birds-eye maple? Regarding making carving gouges, have you read any of Alex Weygers books?

Cheers, and thanks for posting the photos:)

TTIT
1st September 2006, 10:43 AM
Nice stuff DDeen! As Andy said, the ?Maple? looks great on the saw.:D:D

BobL
1st September 2006, 10:45 AM
Terrific stuff DD! Being an avid reuser I especially like the toilet seat holder bolts.

The only other comment I will make is your post just serves to deepen my greeness of envy in that I am up to my neck in work related stuff at the moment that I cannot see myself in the shed making stuff for at least 3 weeks!!!!

ddeen
1st September 2006, 11:19 AM
thanks everybody!

Wild Dingo, if you will come pick it up I will be very happy to give you one of the tools in the picture;).

Wood Butcher, all I did was a quick test to see if they work. They will be put through their paces this weekend on my next project. It did not take long at all to get them razor sharp - I can only hope they will hold their edge.

Wendy, just google the word stair saw and a ton of info pops up. Heres one of my favorite sites.. (http://www.norsewoodsmith.com/ww/stairsaw/saws.htm) I think its a simple but very beautiful tool. I have to admit it does not cut as good as it should. I did not do a very good job in creating the teeth from scratch. It works good enough for now that I do not want to waste time in re-shaping/sharpening. Because it was custom fit to my hand it feels very good to hold when cutting. I use it for cutting dado's or any type of cut where you want to control the dept. The blade is made out of blue steel from a drywall taping knife (http://www.homedepot.com/prel80/HDUS/EN_US/diy_main/pg_diy.jsp?CNTTYPE=PROD_META&CNTKEY=misc%2fsearchResults.jsp&BV_SessionID=@@@@1267495321.1157067791@@@@&BV_EngineID=cccgaddikdegijkcgelceffdfgidgjk.0&MID=9876) (another tip I got from the web).

AndyMac, your right its birds eye. Its one of my favorites species of wood. With regards to gouges, I searched in vain on the web for info before starting this project but could not find anything. I finally just said the hell with it and just started doing it. Since the steel was leftover from last my project I had nothing to lose but time. I will difinitely look into buying or borrowing one of Alex Weygers books.

Bobl, 3 weeks will fly and you will be back in the shed before you know it..

RufflyRustic
1st September 2006, 02:17 PM
Great site! Thanks DDeen!

Cheers
Wendy

Knurl
1st September 2006, 04:30 PM
Lovely workmanship ddeen. What are the metal rods on the left?

More to the point, what are you planning to make from those?

IanW
1st September 2006, 07:36 PM
..... serves to deepen my greeness of envy in that I am up to my neck in work related stuff at the moment that I cannot see myself in the shed making stuff for at least 3 weeks!!!!

'Arf yer bleedin luck, Bob - my life is so disorganised by the job that pays for it all, it's going to be Christmas before I get some really significant shed-time. :mad:
I've never quite worked out why we expend so much time on activities we don't enjoy nearly as much, to fund activities we DO enjoy, but can't, because we're out earning the wherewithal to allow it to happen. :confused: ;)

Avagoodweekend,

ddeen
2nd September 2006, 06:48 AM
Lovely workmanship ddeen. What are the metal rods on the left?

More to the point, what are you planning to make from those?

They are for mortice chisels that I will be starting soon.

Just in case somebody gets inspired to use the toilet bowl bolts on a saw project. I have attached a cad pic of how the nut was modified (see red portion). It comes as a hex nut which I had to round off. I then cut a slot at the top. This way it sits flush on the wood and can be easily adjusted with a flush nut screwdriver (another tool making project) to set the blade dept.

Wild Dingo
3rd September 2006, 03:59 AM
Wild Dingo, if you will come pick it up I will be very happy to give you one of the tools in the picture;).

MATE!! I just looked at your location! Chicago? thats Illanios USA right? :eek:... RIGHT! Like Im gonna come over there! :D:D:D yep that was a good one mate! :D

Cheers! :cool:

Note to self... self look at the members location FIRST!! :p