PDA

View Full Version : Jarrah rocker with silver-ash spats, using Domino joinery

Rocker
1st September 2006, 02:07 PM
At last the upholsterer has finished the seat, and my latest rocker is finished. The saga of its construction is described in this thread: http://www.woodworkforums.ubeaut.com.au/showthread.php?t=35118 . If you are interested in plans for building it, go to the Plans or For Sale forum to get details. I now have a Domino version of the plans ready, as well as the previous version using traditional mortice-and-tenon joinery.

Rocker

Wongo
1st September 2006, 02:31 PM
Rocker, you are still going 100 miles/hour aren’t you? Good work.

Tell me is it a lot easier using the domino?

Slavo
1st September 2006, 02:36 PM
Nice work as usual Rocker, also enjoyed your WIP thread

Rocker
1st September 2006, 02:47 PM
Scott,

The joinery is only a relatively small part of building the rocker; most of the hard yakka is in rounding over and fairing the parts, and in ensuring that the transitions at the joints are smooth. The Domino certainly makes the joinery go quicker, since you don't need to build the morticing and tenoning jigs that are required if you use traditional mortice-and-tenon joinery. However, it only takes a couple of days to build those jigs, and, once you have them, the rocker's mortice-and-tenon joinery is pretty quick and easy.

If you want to justify buying a Domino, you could always say it is essential to build the rocker; but you would be lying:) However, seeing that you probably have another 35 or 40 years of woodwork ahead of you, I think you could easily make a good case for buying a Domino anyway.

Rocker

Cliff Rogers
1st September 2006, 03:16 PM
...joinery is only a relatively small part of building the rocker; most of the hard yakka is in rounding over and fairing the parts, and in ensuring that the transitions at the joints are smooth. ...

Good one Rocker, what are you using to do the rounding?

Tex B
1st September 2006, 03:23 PM
Beautiful work, Rocker. Love the finish. Your output is amazing.

Tex

Rocker
1st September 2006, 03:26 PM
Cliff,

I used a 5/8" radius roundover bit to round over the rockers, and a 3/8" radius one for most of the other parts. However, I needed to be careful not to cause tearout near the joints, so the sharp curves were done with an angle-grinder sanding attachment or the less aggressive flexible sanding pads that you can mount in a drill, or even by hand sanding.

Rocker

Lignum
1st September 2006, 03:53 PM
Came up a treat Rocker. The upholstery looks great. Another heirloom for the fam:D

Tell me is it a lot easier using the domino?

Go onnnnnnn, you know you want to:cool:

Cliff Rogers
1st September 2006, 04:21 PM
Have you thought about trying the Wasp and/or the Blowfly to do it?

I've watched the video & I'm keen to give them a go.

Al B
1st September 2006, 06:24 PM
As always rocker an excellent heirloom piece, Love it, also enjoyed the WIP. Thanks for sharing with us.

Auld Bassoon
1st September 2006, 06:48 PM
Splendid Rocker!

The final choice of upholstery complements very well the elegance of the chair. Top job!

Auld Bassoon
1st September 2006, 06:52 PM
Go onnnnnnn, you know you want to:cool:

Agreed! Scott - you know that you want one, you just haven't yet realised that you NEED one. C'mon mate, be true to the faith and bow down to the InDomitable :D

Billylad
1st September 2006, 11:35 PM
Your the master of the art of woodwork. Another masterpiece. Well done rocker.

Rocker
2nd September 2006, 07:48 AM
Have you thought about trying the Wasp and/or the Blowfly to do it?

I've watched the video & I'm keen to give them a go.

Cliff,

The trickiest sanding in making a rocker occurs after the side-assemblies have been glued up, so the Wasp and Blowfly would be no use, since you have to take the workpiece to a drill press to use them. You need a sanding machine that can be taken to the work. I imagine that the Kirjes sanding system that Mik sells would be ideal, but it costs $550.

Rocker

Cliff Rogers
2nd September 2006, 11:22 AM
The Blowfly will go in a power drill, the video shows Terry removing paint from the side of his shed while replacing the gutter. ;)