PDA

View Full Version : fixing dents in timber??

womble
1st September 2006, 06:35 PM
We got a new timber bathroom cupboard from early settler the other day, took it out of its cardboard wrapping and its got a dent in one of the corners from where it got hit from something or the wrapping cord dug into it. How can this be fixed, I recall something about using an iron and cloth, then steaming it somehow to swell the fibres??? Whats the correct way of doing this, or is there other ways of fixing it as well?? Dont want to leave it 'as is' considering its brand new :(

Ian Smith
1st September 2006, 06:57 PM
Womble,
Yep, works like a dream. I use it all the time to get rid of work-shop rash. I went to K-mart and bought an $8 teflon coated cheapie, and I reckon, bang for buck, it's the best tool in the shed. Of course this is on raw timber- if it's got any sort of finish on it I can't comment. Just wet it down with a cloth, or your finger, run the iron on max heat, and plonk it on the spot. Repeat as necessary, and provided the fibres aren't actually broken, the dent will simply dissappear. Even if the fibres are a bit banged up you can usually drastically reduce the damage. It does lift up the fibres, of course, so a light sanding is in order

Ian

Ivan in Oz
1st September 2006, 07:03 PM
G'day Ian,
You might consider notifying the Sellers and Transport/Delivery People.
Also, take some Photographs of the offending area.
The whole item could be replaced?????
They might compensate????

If you attack it before that, you will surely give up any comeback:(

Ivan

Justin
1st September 2006, 07:30 PM
G'day Womble,

The steaming method is generally used on raw timber. If there is a finish applied to your cupboard, you might find that you damage the finish - "blushing" is the most likely outcome which is a result of overheating clear finishes. Ever seen white rings on furniture left behind by hot coffee cups ?

I'd agree with other posts in that you need to escalate the issue of delivery damage to the supplier.

Justin.

mongrell
1st September 2006, 08:43 PM
what a great idea with the iron ive never heard of it but will surely remember it now

durwood
2nd September 2006, 02:25 PM
Another way to get dents out of raw timber is to pour metho onto the mark and light it with a match. the dents pop right out.