PDA

View Full Version : I've Been Practicing

jchappo
1st September 2006, 09:11 PM
I've been busy practicing with the new lathe.
Here are my first three offerings:

1st. The front pen turned from banksia - very plain and the finish is a bit lacking. To 1200 with one coat of Shellawax.

2nd. The back pen turned from lace sheoak. More shape and a much better finish. To 1200, EEE, then 2 coats of Shellawax.

3rd. My first bowl turned from a rare piece of fencus postii (fence post for you wot don't understand Latin). To 1200, EEE then 1 coat of Shellawax.

The bowl wasn't really a serious piece, but I had just got my G3 scroll chuck and wanted to try it out. (I bought it at Trend Timbers at Windsor - a turners heaven - certainly going back to buy some blanks)

I found an old block of wood (previously used for supporting car jacks etc.), cut it to 150x150mm, scribed a circle about 130mm diameter, cut off the corners on the Triton and screwed on a face plate.

Mounted on the lathe, I faced the outer face, and low and behold - figure :D

I just had to keep turning, made several design changes and filled several small cracks with CA. I found preparing the recess for the chuck jaws suprisingly easy.

Lots of room for improvement, but not too bad for a turning career of three weeks :D:D:D

Tomorrow I am off to visit the Blue Mountains Wood Turners Club - guess what the demo is - Bowl Turning For Beginners - I'm really looking forward to it.

John

Terry B
1st September 2006, 09:53 PM
I've been busy practicing with the new lathe.
Here are my first three offerings:

3rd. My first bowl turned from a rare piece of fencus postii (fence post for you wot don't understand Latin). To 1200, EEE then 1 coat of Shellawax.
John
I also like the fencus postii as a timber. The other very good wood is Firus woodus (aka slow combustion stove fuel) cut from fallen gum tree of unknown species. A bit hard (iron like) but finishes very well.

Good start with the lathe.:):)