PDA

View Full Version : BS tyre shaping

Rod Smith
31st January 2001, 10:03 PM
G'day again.
Whilst we are talking BS, when I restored mine I had new tyres fitted at an industrial rubber company. They were "crowned" from the start, but I wasn't totally happy with the roundness so trued them and shaped a bit. The process was a bit of a struggle, I ended up using coarse sand paper stapled to wood and a makeshift tool rest. Still not if I've got it right as far as the shape goes, any tips.

Also, on the subject of blade "tracking", they say that each blade has its own track, but surely the crown of the wheel and where the blade has been aligned to will be factors. Doesn't matter really, because what ever the cause it will still track, just thought I'd waste a couple of minutes thinking about it.
Cheers. Rod

barrysumpter
1st February 2001, 05:58 PM
I spend a few hours trying to sort this out also. I thought that all blades should track the same. So why can't I get the blade to track with the same setting as any other blade size. And why should I have to realign all the running guides?

I was also wondering why the top and bottom of the two wheels were NOT perfectly in line with each other.

Oh well, Now that I've done it a few times, it only takes a minute or two.

------------------
Thanks,
Barry G. Sumpter
Proud Tritoneer

John Saxton
1st February 2001, 07:59 PM
Whilst we're on the subject....there's a good book on Bandsaw care and maintenance called....Bandsaw Handbook-Duginski-ISBN-0 8069 6398 0
There are alot of good pointers in the book ..some that we can all tend to overlook!
Cheers http://ubb.ubeaut.com.au/ubb/smile.gif

------------------
Johnno

Rod Smith
3rd February 2001, 12:21 PM
Thanks guys
Barry, I thought the top and bottom wheels should be aligned.

John, I've read the Duginski book a coupla years ago now, he recommendedbasically turnng the tyre down with a chisel. Not being a turners rear end I shyed away from that technique. Probably should get the book again and have another look to check the amount of crown.
Seeya. Rod

Rod Smith
3rd February 2001, 12:25 PM
Another thing, one of the problems was spinning the top wheel, what a pain.
Rod

knuckles
4th February 2001, 12:06 AM
Barry

The trackin haz to be changed coz the blades are all different. Have yous ever compared a old one wif a new one. There is many variables in makin them blades. 1/64th" difference in size an the whole ting haz to be realigned.

By the way it is almost impossible for yez to tighten a band saw blade too much. The more tension it gets the better it werkz.

Tension yer blade up really tight
When plucked it should sound C
You'll cut great straights and circles right
As simple as can be.

By Knuckles for yous guys.

------------------
Don't mess with me! I know where yez live and I might just pay yez a visit. Capish?

Glen Bridger
16th February 2001, 12:50 PM
Hi all,
I had a good look at the bandsaw at work and the wheels do not appear to be crowned at all. If they are it's minimal. As for tracking, I have never had to or heard of anyone having to adjust tracking when blades were changed. As for tension, the blades WILL break if it is too tight.
I am in the process of making my own bandsaw (along with the other 4000 jobs on the go).
I will let you know how it goes.

John Saxton
17th February 2001, 12:56 AM
I go along with what Rod is saying in that each blade that is mounted on a Bandsaw has it's own track.
When tension is applied to that blade irrespective of its width it creates it own track and if numerous blade changing takes place then the tyre has to absorb those changes thereby possibly reducing the life of the tyre.
An analogy we could use is that of a road tyre whereby different pressures may be applied over its lifetime either prolonging or shortening its life.If overinflated it wears in the middle of the tyre and conversely if underinflated it wears on the outer sides of the tyre.
When changing bandsaw blades one assumes he is applying the correct pressure for that blade whether it be a wide or narrow blade but herein lies the $64,000 question each different blade applies different pressure across its own width and who is that perfect that can recall the correct amount of pressure at each change.
And because we as woodworkers like to have within our arsenal a variety to ease our task whether it be saw blades or whatever we then have to take into account the broader picture.
Just some thoughts and a little more than my 2c worth.
Cheers http://ubb.ubeaut.com.au/ubb/smile.gif

------------------
Johnno

Rod Smith
17th February 2001, 02:45 PM
Thanks for your thoughts guys.