PDA

View Full Version : Drawers for bathroom vanity

JMB
2nd September 2006, 08:09 AM
I am currently working on a design for a bathroom vanity. The carcass will be made from melamine covered particleboard, and doors and drawer fronts from laminex. I dont want to use vinyl covered board or steel for the drawers. Friend suggested using mdf painted with marine paint. Any better ideas?

arms
2nd September 2006, 09:11 AM
are you building the vanity for a future titanic ??????

OBBob
2nd September 2006, 09:28 AM
I once did a vanity made of plain MDF coated in two part expoxy clear coat ... it gave a very modern look and worked well, however I would never do it again! It was so much work for an average result.

I like the metal sided draws.

Ian Smith
2nd September 2006, 09:48 AM
JMB,
From my personal experience, I wouldn't be using chipboard or MDF in a bathroom environment.

Ian

JMB
2nd September 2006, 11:28 AM
[NB. Do not as yet know how to quote others threads so…]

<O:p</O:p
Tom Armstrong, clients house made by Jennings <ST1:pso trying to add structural integrity to the house wherever possible.

OBBob, I only have to make drawers not do the finishing. That is something for client to look forward to. Once made shop fitting from mdf with 13 drawers, all of which received 2 coats of cabothane. Never again. Can you get metal sided drawers made to size? Very expensive?

Ian Smith, would you use mdf covered melamine or something else in a bathroom?

Ian Smith
2nd September 2006, 12:37 PM
JMB,
No, I wouldn't use melamine in a bathroom, period. It's core is chipboard and that stuff grows, especially in a humid environment like a bathroom.

I'd be using real timber wherever I could, maybe masonite for backs. I think you can get a water resistant/proof?? version of chipboard for a bench top, as you would for a kitchen, but I'd stiil be using timber where I could and anyway, there's a number of non-timber based materials you can use for bench tops - check out your local home display place or local hardware store - the Mega Mitre 10 at Beenleigh has a display - (not much good to you, where you are, of course - but as an example)

Ian

Bleedin Thumb
2nd September 2006, 01:33 PM
JMB,
No, I wouldn't use melamine in a bathroom, period. It's core is chipboard and that stuff grows, especially in a humid environment like a bathroom.

Ian

See the tread "Kitchen from Scratch" I thought HMR board would be OK.
I would mount the cabinet on SS feet to keep it out of flooded floors etc,
But must admit I'm just guessing having never made one, but I'm pretty sure most commercialy bought ones have HMR at their core.
Tony