PDA

View Full Version : Sharpening chisels

Cass
1st November 2002, 02:16 PM
Does anyone have any advice on the best method to sharpening chisels. I guess there are many out there who have made their own jigs for this very purpose. Does anyone have any advice as to how to go about making my own jigs or are there ones on the market that I would be better off buying.

Cass

ubeaut
1st November 2002, 04:02 PM
Jigs aren't needed. Find someone who really knows how to sharpen and ask them to show you, then like any other thing you learn practise will make perfect.

In most instances I can sharpen a tool faster than it takes to set up a jig, and as a rule, as good as, if not a good deal better.

If you must buy a jig, I reckon the Heli-Grind is probably about the best of them. Don't waste your time or money on Tormec or other wet grinding wheel for turning tools. They're much to slow. Great for plane blades and chisels etc. but not for turning.

Hope this is of some help.

Cheers - Neil http://ubb.ubeaut.com.au/ubb/smile.gif

Tim the Timber Turner
1st November 2002, 04:05 PM
Cass forget the jigs and get an experienced turner to teach you how to do it. Make an investment in this because it's the very foundation of learning to woodturn.

There are heaps of jigs on the market which may be of doubtful value to you. However there is no jig avaliable which sharpens the tool for you. You must learn how to grind the shapes and angles required.

The best written discription of tool sharpening I've seen is in Keith Rowley's book "Woodturning A Foundation Course".

Hope this is of help.

Enjoy your turning.

------------------
Some days I turns thisaway, somedays I turns thataway and other days I don't turn at all.

Tim the Timber Turner
1st November 2002, 04:07 PM
Sheet Neil you beat me by 3 min. Thats only because Im a slow typer.

Cheers

Tim

------------------
Some days I turns thisaway, somedays I turns thataway and other days I don't turn at all.