PDA

View Full Version : My grain grinder lid

cedar n silky
2nd September 2006, 07:25 PM
Hi all.
I got sick of looking at my grain grinder that had a plastic inverted bowl to keep the roaches and mice out ( I make a lot of bread but, thats another story), so I finalyy got down to the workshop, and got carried away with a lid I made out of Rosewood. Had a ball making it, and although the photo is not very "arty" it tells a story I hope!!:D
I drink Coopers pale ale when I can't afford "Little creatures" (which is all the time now). When I invite someone around for dinner, and they ask" can I bring anything" I say "yeh a carton of "little creatures", but usually I setle for a 6 pack!!:mad: (Of anytrhing actually!)
And the eggs are from my chooks, and in the bowl ( which I turned green fro m a bit of flame tree)is a wooden egg which I turned to encourage the chooks to lay!!;) (it worked!!:D )

TTIT
3rd September 2006, 12:54 AM
When I read that you had used Rosewood for a grain grinder lid :eek:, I thought
'what a shameful waste of a glorious wood' but then I viewed the pic and have to admit it looks perfect there. Very nice Cedar! Hide the beer and it's almost a calendar setting!:D

hughie
3rd September 2006, 01:05 AM
I gotta admit it did sound to the best use . But as TTIT says its looks a goodn'

cedar n silky
3rd September 2006, 09:20 AM
'what a shameful waste of a glorious wood' but then I viewed the pic and have to admit it looks perfect there. Very nice Cedar! Hide the beer and it's almost a calendar setting!:D
I am fortunate to live in the "Bush" and have for the last 30+ years. In that time I have "colected" wod and I milled a big old Rosewood some 20 years ago, which was rotten here and there, but I must admit I have a fair bit of rosewood and other bits and pieces around! ;) In fact the shed is bl--dy near full of wood, and outside too! So you don't get too fussy when you decide to turn something, although I do have my "special chunks" for when I get serious!:D

hughie
3rd September 2006, 10:44 AM
[
quote=cedar n silky]I am fortunate to live in the "Bush" and have for the last 30+ years. In that time I have "colected" wod and I milled a big old Rosewood some 20 years ago, which was rotten here and there, but I must admit I have a fair bit of rosewood and other bits and pieces around! ;) In fact the shed is bl--dy near full of wood, and outside too! So you don't get too fussy when you decide to turn something, although I do have my "special chunks" for when I get serious!:D[/QUOTE]

Ah! the luxury of not knowing or caring which piece to turn....sigh:( :D

the rest of us mere mortals must contend with our lot.....:D

Skew ChiDAMN!!
3rd September 2006, 03:45 PM
Yer gonna have to take to the outside of the grinder with some steel wool and a buff to make it worthy of the lid. ;)

Our kitchen's a bit the same, not only does wood look better than plastic but it feels so much better... and makes puttering around in the kitchen a more pleasant experience. Even if it is only washing the dishes. :rolleyes:

bsrlee
3rd September 2006, 09:10 PM
You really should go to the brewery in Fremantle - huge glass fronted wharehouse on the waterfront, half the building is brewery (with a glass wall so you can look at the brewers running about like ants) and half bar/restaurant - if you wait a while you can also do a catwalk tour over the brewing section as well as sample all their brews. You can also get mini-kegs and other 'useful' items & souveneirs at the bar. Excellent food - kept going back there for dinner while visiting last year.:D :D :D

tashammer
4th September 2006, 02:14 AM
Yer gonna have to take to the outside of the grinder with some steel wool and a buff to make it worthy of the lid. ;)

Nah, ruin it's character. It's not many grinders that produce beer these days; can't you see "Corona" on the side.

Anyway it needs to soak in a 10:1 water to molasses brew for a few weeks, then get it re-tinned. Should be able to pick up molasses from a stock agents shop. Failing that start off with a can of treacle. Dunno about golden syrup, might be too refined.

Get lots of good stuff from stock agents. Get yer antibiotics from there, a lot cheaper. Also if you have skin disorders get a small bucket of "Bag Balm" works wonders on your skin and stops the itch. (It's used on cows with bag and teat problems). Does wonders for eczema. Better than paying for a tiny tube from the chemist that costs an arm and a leg.

Better get back to leaning on the fence post and chewing me grass.

Skew ChiDAMN!!
4th September 2006, 02:40 AM
Oh, I thought it said "Cortina." You know, one o' those rice-burners... erm... grinders. ;):D

Sorry. I'll just crawl back under my rock, shall I? [sigh]

OGYT
4th September 2006, 05:21 AM
Calendar material for sure. Nice lid, Cedar.

cedar n silky
4th September 2006, 10:16 AM
[quote=tashammer]Nah, ruin it's character. It's not many grinders that produce beer these days; can't you see "Corona" on the side.
quote]
It's the first thing my daughter said when she saw it. "you need to paint the grinder or something" I nearlly agreed, but your right, it has "character," and I've had it for 30 years. (it sat under the slow combustion stove for 25:( ) I'll leave it as is, maybe just get a couple of parts for it- that's if they still make them! I'll do a search!!:rolleyes:

BSRLLE-Ah yes I was in Freo last year, and nearly went to the "little creatures" brewery, but didn't. I wish you hadn't told me that, cause I'm cursing now!!:mad:

HUGHIE- just been a wood collector for 30 or more years!!:p There is a down side though!:( Never enough room in the shed- constantly moving them around, and when I got the Vicmarc- Big Bu--er that it is, caused all sorts of chaos!:D

SKEW- You crawl under your rock!!:D There's also a beer called Corona, isn't there?? Only drank it once- Didn't like it, cause some turkey stuck a chunk of fresh lime in it before handing it to me. YUKK:mad:

OGYT- Thanks :)

turnerted
5th September 2006, 06:01 PM
The flame tree bowl you refer to , is that from Illawarra Flame Tree ?
When I first started turning I was told this was crap wood and have never bothered to collect any although I have had plenty of oppertunity . Have I been ignoring a lot of good wood ?

cedar n silky
5th September 2006, 08:39 PM
The flame tree bowl you refer to , is that from Illawarra Flame Tree ?
When I first started turning I was told this was crap wood and have never bothered to collect any although I have had plenty of oppertunity . Have I been ignoring a lot of good wood ?
Nah I agree it is very soft and pithy. It was next to the house, and I cut it down cause it was crook (who wouldn't be with an excavator digging a car park next to it) I just tried it out green, and wanted to see how it would distort if turned thin! Wouldn't go out of my way for it!!:D