2nd September 2006, 07:31 PM
is denatured alcohol just methelated spyrts:confused:

if not what is it and where can i get it:confused:

do you mix it with any thing:confused:

how long do i soak it for:confused:

do i need to keep changing the mixture:confused:

lesmeyer
2nd September 2006, 07:37 PM
As far as I know, denatured alchohol is an American term for Meths. Can buy it at bunnies and most HW stores as well as some supermarkets.
I never mix my drinks :D.
Regards
Les

ozwinner
2nd September 2006, 07:40 PM
It is pure meths without the 5-10% water than ordinary meths has.

Al :)

Skew ChiDAMN!!
2nd September 2006, 08:01 PM
This is another one of those naming things. Technically there's no difference, they're the same thing. But there's as many different blends of meths as there are for chocolate or coffee, with just as many different additives or "improvers."

In practice, what the American woodies mean when they're talking about DNA is the stuff Al's talking about.

Honorary Bloke
2nd September 2006, 10:10 PM
If you don't know the back story, here in the US the sale of all alcohol is governed by the BATF (Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, and Firearms :eek: ). Denatured alcohol has had something done to it to render it undrinkable, therefore it is not subject to the significant government tax which is imposed on alcoholic beverages at the manufacturer's premises. So "denatured" is government-speak for "undrinkable." But even this "woodies" alcohol is continuallly under government inspection.:D

Why they lumped A T and F together is another story.:rolleyes:

ozwinner
2nd September 2006, 10:21 PM
So "denatured" is government-speak for "undrinkable.".:D

It true you cant drink it, hey, it was by accident ok.:rolleyes:
Sure.......:p

I thought Id try to see what all the fuss was about with metho heads ( not to be confused with meth heads) , so I licked a bit on my finger, bleeerkkkk!!! http://www.ubeaut.biz/throwup.gif, shame though, maybe orange juice may tame it down a bit. http://www.ubeaut.biz/drunk2.gif

Edit: maybe I could distill it to get the awfull taste out of it?

Al http://www.ubeaut.biz/smarty.gif

Bodgy
2nd September 2006, 10:34 PM
I thought Id try to see what all the fuss was about with metho heads ( not to be confused with meth heads) , so I licked a bit on my finger, bleeerkkkk!!! http://www.ubeaut.biz/throwup.gif,Al http://www.ubeaut.biz/smarty.gif

Al, in this context you are a babe in the rushes, From my time in psychiatric medicine, I remember that the old alkies used to mix metho with boot polish. It was known as a screwdriver.

Metho and OJ was thought a bit of a girlie drink.

When needs must, the Devil drives!

ozwinner
2nd September 2006, 10:48 PM
I remember that the old alkies used to mix metho with boot polish. It was known as a screwdriver.

No! no way!!
I like my boot polish straight.:p

Al :eek: :eek:

Buzza
3rd September 2006, 12:02 AM
Metho.

It is a nasty.

A fermented batch of yeast, sugar and water is put through a still. The first few drops of alcohol to drip out of the still is collected. (In a large scale operation, this could be a considerable amount, but with a 20 litre batch, it's small jar full). This will be about 80% and also dangerous to drink. It's best used for killing ants, and firing up camp-fires and such. It can be tipped back into the next batch to be re-stilled. One drop on the tongue will give most people an instant dull headache.

The good stuff cames out after the nasty Meths, and that is broken down with water 50/50 to make about 50% Vodka.

Of course it is illegal to make it here in Australia.

journeyman Mick
3rd September 2006, 12:18 AM
Worked in a rehab centre for a couple of years about 20 years ago. Learnt some interesting stuff from the clients. They'd take an unsliced loaf of white bread and filter the metho through it, end to end. This supposedly filtered out a lot of the nasty taste. It was then mixed with milk powder ("white lady") or cheap port ("monkey blood").

I too have accidently swigged a bit of metho. Doing some refit work on a boat, grabbed a mug from the galley and filled it with water to drink. After a while it wasn't where I thought I'd left it as I worked my way through the saloon. Found it on a table and figured I'd misremembered where I'd left it.:rolleyes: Grabbed it and took a big swig, eeeeeerch!:eek: , ptooey. The cook was using metho in a mug to wipe down the whiteboards. I couldn't get the taste out of my mouth for hours afterwards. I can't imagine anyone voluntarily drinking the stuff, no matter how may loaves it's been through or how much juice it's mixed with.

Mick

Doughboy
3rd September 2006, 12:27 AM
Yes Mick
&
Yes Mick

bdar
3rd September 2006, 12:44 AM
Weisyboy try this link,
http://www.woodcentral.com/articles/turning/articles_473.shtml#top Ihave cut a block of Red Mallee 2 weeks ago soaked it DNA for around 24hrs let the DNA dry off and then I placed them into a paper bag and put them on a shelf. Will see how they are, I kept one piece out and brought it into the house, it has not moved like wet burls do when first cut and they are drying.
Darren

Doc Ron
3rd September 2006, 12:44 AM
Denatured alcohol, as one poster above said, is ethyl alcohol, ethanol, rendered undrinkable - not just by making it taste bad. It will lay you out in a pine ( or more exotic timber) box in short order. The additives are designed not to be removed by filtering, distillation, or any convenient chemical process. Don't drink it, even after you soak your wood in it.:eek: :p

hughie
3rd September 2006, 01:14 AM
is denatured alcohol just methelated spyrts:confused:

if not what is it and where can i get it:confused:

do you mix it with any thing:confused:

how long do i soak it for:confused:

do i need to keep changing the mixture:confused:

Well you kinda got the first 3 questions answered, plus a bit extra...real kind folks here abouts :D

How long? bout the same length a piece a string......:p

If you follow Hickory and turn with in 10% of the finished size then his over night works fine. I leave mine in longer cos I usally have tenon on the bottom.

Change? Nah, one way or another it goes and you will need to top it up from time to time. Mine has gone a dark brown but its ok.

Hickory
3rd September 2006, 10:13 AM
Here in the states, Denatured alcohol is primarily Ethanol (Booze) with just enough Methanol mixed in to make it impaletable and poison. Ethanol (Grain Alcohol) is by far the cheapest to produce and the most stable but due to some folks desire to consume vast quanities and otherwise anebriate themselves, the prohibitionists and Dried the stills for a while and Denatured Alcohol was created so that Alcohol could still stay on the market as needed for industrial purposes and yet not as costly or volitable as Methanol, Stills could still function, and boozers had to find less sinful means of amusment.

I use it to dry wet wood, both for turning and for small flat work. Use it straight from the can and soak the piece, submerged, for at least a couple of hours (on a fresh batch) I usually keep mine over night. Remove, drip dry and then wrap in brown paper bag and allow it to rest for a couple of weeks. All the while, weigh the piece and keep a log of the weight. After the weight had ceased to drop for a few days, it is ready to complete the project.

You can continue to reuse the alcohol although it has absorbed and diluted to some extent. As long as it smells like Alcohol it can still get the job done.

There is more to the process but this is the gist of the story. If interested, I will embelish with more detail.

Skew ChiDAMN!!
3rd September 2006, 03:35 PM
After doing a bit of thinking on the matter, I can't see any reason you can't use the household Meths sold here in Oz, water content and all.

As it becomes diluted with use anyway, the pre-existing 5-10% of water just means that fresh batch won't be quite as effective as the US DNA. I think it'd be safe to say you'd need to use the clear Metho, not the stuff with the blue dye, though...

Somehow I think I'll stick to the LDD method. The fire hazards in my shed are bad enough as they are... ;)

weisyboy
3rd September 2006, 10:43 PM
i think i got all the info i needed in amongst the rambling:D

thanks a lot guys

how sucsesful is it?

i have to add 20ml of petrol to my ethanol when i make it to make it legal so it cant be drunk (i know plenty of people who would still drink it if it was half petrol):rolleyes:

tashammer
4th September 2006, 02:04 AM
that would be a party worth standing well back from.

weisyboy
6th September 2006, 10:09 PM
obviously if you will drink that you smoke

ka booom!!!!!:mad: