PDA

View Full Version : heard a rumor

weisyboy
2nd September 2006, 07:34 PM
i heard that you can safly dry rough turned bowls e.t.c. by soaking them in watter.

IS THIS TRUE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

i know millers yoused to keep logs in creeks if they could not mill them straight away!

Skew ChiDAMN!!
2nd September 2006, 07:55 PM
I'll say No.

Not for straight water. You can use various mixes though, like a mix of water & LDD. (Liquid Dishwashing Detergent)

Actually, I change that back to NO. The mixes don't dry the timber, instead they make it less likely to split when you finally take it out and start the drying process...

dazzler
2nd September 2006, 07:59 PM
I heard they dried well in a wood fire.

:p .

tashammer
3rd September 2006, 01:16 AM
Millers do use water sprinklers but that is over the log stacks to stop spontaneous combustion. Now i have typed that it looks odd and i wonder if they were spinning a yarn and i got sucked in? More like they were keeping them moist to stop them splitting before they got them to the breakdown bench. Bugger, now i don't know which if either is right. The word help comes to mind.

HELP!

Signed

A gullible one

TTIT
3rd September 2006, 01:16 AM
I read an article that Cameron Potter once referred to and I'm damned if I can find it now but it was written by a guy in Victoria that was 'drying' wood in water. He was basically leaving rough turned blanks soaking in a 44 full of water from 1 to 6 weeks depending on the density of the timber. The blanks were then removed and allowed to air dry for about a week and apparently had no cracking etc. The theory was that the water would dissolve the resins etc and then dry much quicker once removed from the drum. Haven't tried it myself but he claimed to be getting good results with everything from Jacaranda to Redgum.:)

TTIT
3rd September 2006, 01:19 AM
Millers do use water sprinklers but that is over the log stacks to stop spontaneous combustion. Now i have typed that it looks odd and i wonder if they were spinning a yarn and i got sucked in? More like they were keeping them moist to stop them splitting before they got them to the breakdown bench. Bugger, now i don't know which if either is right. The word help comes to mind.

HELP!

Signed

A gullible oneSecond option Tashammer!:D A eucalypt log in the sun will crack badly in just a day or two without the water.:)

soundman
3rd September 2006, 11:20 PM
especialy if its scribbly gum......... eh exador:D

grybeard
4th September 2006, 01:38 AM
Mornin guys
There is some truth to the rumor...some guys are trying this method ...you mix 1 part dishsoap to 5 parts water and let it soak at least overnight...better if it soaks for at least 3 days ...then let it air dry.
The results I have seen and heard are very good ...no cracking so far but there is some warpage that does occur.
Bob

tashammer
4th September 2006, 01:54 AM
but does it really do yer skin any good?

BobL
4th September 2006, 02:08 AM
I read an article that Cameron Potter once referred to and I'm damned if I can find it now but it was written by a guy in Victoria that was 'drying' wood in water. He was basically leaving rough turned blanks soaking in a 44 full of water from 1 to 6 weeks depending on the density of the timber. The blanks were then removed and allowed to air dry for about a week and apparently had no cracking etc. The theory was that the water would dissolve the resins etc and then dry much quicker once removed from the drum. Haven't tried it myself but he claimed to be getting good results with everything from Jacaranda to Redgum.:)

I have seen some results of this with a farmer friend of mine deliberately placing whole or parts of logs in dams. I don't know that it dried that much quicker, but maybe it does for some types of timber than others. As far as the cracking goes it seems to work although what I saw was not perfect. This is one way to get short rounds to dry with minimal cracking.

tashammer
4th September 2006, 02:16 AM
Oh, over the West Coast here there are logs of Huon pine that were submerged by the Hydro in their enthusiastic dam building days. They will keep fine forever damn near ever.

OGYT
4th September 2006, 05:42 AM
I soak roughturned bowls in LDD mixed 50/50 with water. 7 days minimum. 19mm max thickness. No cracking, but some warpage. Then I dry, plastic-bagged in shavings or outside wrapped in brown paper.
Won't do that ever again with Bois d'Arc, though. Dry Bois d'Arc is like concrete. M2 steel vs Bois d'Arc is like tryin to whittle with a rubber knife.
I threw three rough-outs in the woodbox, for winter use, yesterday.
Take note, Hughie. When it gets there don't spend a lot of time wonderin what to turn. ;)

Cliff Rogers
4th September 2006, 03:22 PM
I have used water to wash the sap out of Mango to try to stop it from going moldy.
Rough turn the piece & soak/wash it several times til the water stops changing colour.
Then I usually stick it in the fridge or freezer til I get a chance to turn it again.

TTIT
4th September 2006, 03:34 PM
I have used water to wash the sap out of Mango to try to stop it from going moldy.

Cliff - I reluctantly accepted some chunks of Mango last week (freshly cut) - is it just FNQ's air/water ratio or is Mango prone to mould regardless????

Cliff Rogers
4th September 2006, 03:54 PM
I think it is the sugar in the sap.

Some people don't mind the mold, I don't like it at all as it is blotchy & doesn't follow the grain.

It is nice timber to work.

Here is a pick of a salad bowl, about 8" across & almost 6" deep.

Finished with EEE & Shellawax Cream & more EEE

TTIT
4th September 2006, 04:01 PM
The only piece I have played with has blotchy white patches through it that I thought was the onset of dry-rot - is that the mould? I wouldn't mind if it came up like your bowl there :) - knocked back about 2 ton of on the assumption that it is all 'blotchy'.:confused:

Cliff Rogers
4th September 2006, 04:10 PM
The blotches are normally dark like a khaki with a hint of green.
Some can be pink or orangey red.

Some people like it, I don't

White dots are usually rot.

rsser
7th September 2006, 04:21 PM
Thanks for those tips about Mango Cliff.

Had seen some, was impressed, got a bit at the Wood show, got it home to find that under the wax was a waste of time.

Cliff Rogers
7th September 2006, 05:01 PM
For anybody interested, the pic in this thread shows an 'aged' piece of mango that has turned out for the best.

They don't all turn out this good.

http://www.woodworkforums.ubeaut.com.au/showthread.php?t=37231

paul collins
7th September 2006, 09:33 PM
what i have done with a lot of success is to turn to full finish. put it in a bag freeze for at least 3 days.take it out leave in bag put it in refrigerator for about 10 days taking out turning the bag inside out every day,works a treat ...at least on camphor & silky oak.seems sap is fprced out by freezing..but i wont bet on this as i am only a part time turner & more experienced turners may differ.oh i mean full finish before applying oil.etc. then when you think it is ok lightly sand then apply finish.

i think i just confused myself :( :( :(

Dick11au
7th September 2006, 09:46 PM
i heard that you can safly dry rough turned bowls e.t.c. by soaking them in watter.

IS THIS TRUE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

i know millers yoused to keep logs in creeks if they could not mill them straight away!

In Tassie they keep Huon Pine under water for years,so there must be something in what you say. I make bobbins but i only stir my TEA with them:D

paul collins
7th September 2006, 09:47 PM
oh by the way.an understadning wife is needed,also toss out of that freezer useless things such as food.:D

Exador
8th September 2006, 07:02 AM
especialy if its scribbly gum......... eh exador:D

Mumble, mutter, grrrr....