PDA

View Full Version : Lemon Juicer

cedar n silky
2nd September 2006, 08:40 PM
The photo shows a lemon juicer a freind of mine loaned me today from South America.
There are plenty of these styles around, but this has a twist to it (excuse the pun) the juicing part has been done with a table saw (I think).
As you can see my 2nd beer for the night in the background, (for scale of course)( or is it trhe 3rd!!:rolleyes: )
And a couple of small silky oak bowls in the background, Oh and my empty wallet, and the usual clutter on my desk but what the heck!!:D

Hickory
3rd September 2006, 10:26 AM
Very interesting and intriging.... I might be inclined to persue a copy of this little project. Please further explain (after you have rendered sanity from the Cooper Stooper) the process of cutting the flutes in the business end of the juicer. Please elaborate as much as possible and try to explain how you kept from headache producing kickback or finger removing catches from the saw. I am very interested in the process.

ptc
3rd September 2006, 11:44 AM
Very tidy for Nimbin.(your desk.) have all the Hippies gone ?
Any chance of a larger pic of the juicer (please)

Bodgy
3rd September 2006, 12:18 PM
Amazed you have a mobile. I can never get a signal there.

Nice juicer

Hickory
3rd September 2006, 12:36 PM
I captured and enlarged your picture.... I can see from the wide kerf that you must have used a Dado head to cut the groove. I still dont see how you held the little rascal w/o almost dismembering yourself. Did you cut the grooves before you turned it? From Square stock? Then chucked the head? Turned the shape,Then hand finished the parted off part?

Please elaborate, I'm intrigued by it and want to make some but don't want to loose any body parts in the process.

hughie
3rd September 2006, 01:54 PM
Maybe the way to go is to do the cutting first then turn it later. With a little practice it would turn out ok, no doubt the first one would be a bit rough.
Anyway its the way I would approach it, a bit like segementing in reverse...sorta

tashammer
4th September 2006, 02:02 AM
my word Hickory is getting all enthused. Good to see these old farts with fire in their bellies.

Skew ChiDAMN!!
4th September 2006, 02:17 AM
Without seeing inside the crotch of the thing, I think I'd approach it like this:

Select some square stock, close to right diameter, and cut wedges out of the four sides with a bandsaw, probably with the table set way over about 60°+ from horizontal. I'd use a BS for the narrow kerf, 'cos the next thing I'd do is hot-melt glue the wedges back in! :)

Then turn & finish the outside, with the "wedge" end towards the tailstock, a quick nuke in the microwave to release the wedges and sand & finish inside.

Anyone see any flaws in that idea? :confused:

cedar n silky
4th September 2006, 10:43 AM
The one on the left (I didn't make either one) is very effective as a juicer. Although the photo doesn't show it clearly, in each groove there is the faintest of curf marks -3 in fact. Each groove is about 11mm wide. The bottom inside of the groove has a slight groove cut in which tells me it was done with a carbide tipped circular saw blade?. Probably made up a simple jig to position the turned object over the saw bech (maybe). I'd hate to hold on to the thing free hand:eek: . The other option might have been using some sort of drop saw and jig.;) Hope that helps.
For our overseas buddy's the $2 Australian coin is 20mm across (3/4 inch?there abouts), if you need scale. Should have left my mobile phone (or a match box)( or a ruler reading inches!):) next to it!!

cedar n silky
4th September 2006, 10:46 AM
Very tidy for Nimbin.(your desk.) have all the Hippies gone ?
Any chance of a larger pic of the juicer (please)
I'm still a hippy- just conforming!!;)

cedar n silky
4th September 2006, 10:54 AM
Amazed you have a mobile. I can never get a signal there.

Nice juicer

Got to have a mobile up here!(CDMA-only just!) Ass you know a certain largephone company has outsourced most of it's field teks, and they seem more reluctant to venture into the lantana(which you can litterally see grow in the summer months:eek: )to service the maze of half burried wires and junction boxes. So Land line (and mobile) is pretty unreliable up here in the bush. I'm about to go Broadband (maybe) except that "that certain large phone company" lies through it's teeth about their promo's and deals!:D Always read the fine print;)

Hickory
4th September 2006, 12:28 PM
Anyone see any flaws in that idea? :confused:

Skew, Wouldn't it require a jig to keep the piece from catching and slamming the works into the BS blade? Or perhaps I don't see or understand your method of cutting but do see where wedges could hold the piece together for turning. BUT.....

My approach would be to start with a considerable longer piece of "timber" (give you something to hold on to, saving kickback and finger loss) and set a Dado head to slice a 1/2" stop dado slot, half the height of the thickness of the wood, on each of the four sides. And to a length equal to the cord of the arc of the saw circumferance. (Where they intersect would form the point of the center"Star".

Cut the piece off to finished length PLUS a tenon for the chuck. Chuck the piece and turn round, making care for the slotted "Teeth" turning on the end. Finish the taper to the star end and cut the cove and shape the ball of the butt of the piece, add adornment to the design, and part as close as you dare, saw off the tenon, and hand sand the stub end.

Anyone see any flaws in that idea? :confused: Or have I even more confused?

Terry B
5th September 2006, 03:17 PM
Got to have a mobile up here!(CDMA-only just!) Ass you know a certain largephone company has outsourced most of it's field teks, and they seem more reluctant to venture into the lantana(which you can litterally see grow in the summer months:eek: )to service the maze of half burried wires and junction boxes. So Land line (and mobile) is pretty unreliable up here in the bush. I'm about to go Broadband (maybe) except that "that certain large phone company" lies through it's teeth about their promo's and deals!:D Always read the fine print;)

I have the same problem with the mobiles here and broadband. Have you tried to get a HIBIS satellite. i.e. heavily subsidised sat modem. I now have one that cost about $140 fully installed. The only company offering them I know of is bordernet (http://www.bordernet.com.au/) . A reasonable way around the broadband problem outside of the certain large phone company.

Skew ChiDAMN!!
5th September 2006, 04:03 PM
Skew, Wouldn't it require a jig to keep the piece from catching and slamming the works into the BS blade? Or perhaps I don't see or understand your method of cutting but do see where wedges could hold the piece together for turning. BUT.....

Errrmm... yess... a slight hiccup in the metal visualisation module. :o (Normal services will be resumed as quickly as posisis... as we can.)

The BS would need a jig for the 60° angle and the table slanted +/- a wee bit to define the wedge shape. It'd only take couple of minutes to build the jig though, scrap is plentiful and so long as it works I'm not fussed over appearance. I can't fit a dado head to my TS, so I tend not to think along those lines. At first I did think along similar lines to your method, using a think kerf blade, only then I'd be stuck with removing the kerf marks and that's something I try to avoid.

Hickory
6th September 2006, 12:33 PM
I'm with you on the jigs and fixtures, Skew.... Just this evening, after dinner, I cut 24 Mortices and matching 24 Tenons with cheek and shoulder cuts. I couldn't have done it as well and as quickly had I not have made those jigs and fixtures. A few extra minutes to set up and align but every cut there after was in seconds not minutes. Also every cut exactly the same. Now, tomorrow I will clean up the burrs and edges and dryfit the project, perhaps sand and get it glued up before supper. "Herself" will be off to her PT job and I will have the house to myself, I get a lot done on those days.

I can see where a lack of Dado blade could influence your plan of procedure. Another method would be to take that square stock and "Make a Jig" to hold it at a slight angle (5-10 degrees or so) and pass over a 3/8" or1/2" Router bit on a router table. This would introduce the cut although it would not be arched as with the circular saw. Then chuck the piece and turn to shape. This would leave those grooves in the business end of the juicer as well. You got a Router table?

Geoffsa
6th September 2006, 12:45 PM
As you can see my 2nd beer for the night in the background, (for scale of course)( or is it trhe 3rd!!:rolleyes: :D

Good to see you are enjoying a top brew!!

Skew ChiDAMN!!
6th September 2006, 01:03 PM
Another method would be to take that square stock and "Make a Jig" to hold it at a slight angle (5-10 degrees or so) and pass over a 3/8" or1/2" Router bit on a router table. This would introduce the cut although it would not be arched as with the circular saw. Then chuck the piece and turn to shape. This would leave those grooves in the business end of the juicer as well. You got a Router table?

Yes, I do. Hmmm...

It's a cold, wet day here and I've been avoiding heading out to the shop for the day. But something tells me it's time to wander out.

Isn't it amazing how curiosity can find motivation where duty fails? :D